woodchuck rests

ohihunter2014

My new stock just came in and ammo is loaded up for woodchucks but now i need a bipod or tripod. I am leaning heavily towards the bogpod redlegged devil tripod as it adjusts from sitting to standing and i would think the 3 legs would be a little more stabile than 2 on the bipod.

I have a concern. Will the bogpod be steady on uneven ground? is it stable enough for shooting woodchucks out to 300yards?

so harris bipod with tilt or bogpod tripod?

I use that tripod. Takes some getting used to, but I'll never go back to a two-leg. If you anticipate the ground contour and pre-set the legs accordingly, you can get good at it sooner or later. Never as stable as a bench of course, but an accurate shot at 300 yards is a bit more do-able than with an un-mounted bipod. I sometimes carry a small filled bag to fit on the extended "V" head, but the simple U-shaped yoke works well, too.
Overall, I'd say a pretty good addition to the groundhog hunter's arsenal.

Last edited:
I use the same tripod and love it. Legs are adjustable in length and you can change the angle of the legs to fine tune. A 300 yd. shot on a groundhog with the tripod would be a stretch for me. I'd have to go prone or a portable bench.
A good steady bi-pod is the Versa-Pod that attaches to the front sling swivel stud.

Last edited:
I use a primos trigger stick tri pod. I like it because I don't have to adjust each leg I just pull the trigger and all three legs self adjust to the terrain. Tri pod is nice that you can leave tripod stand and turn for a shot coming in from the side. Coyotes not wood chucks:)

X2 on the trigger stick.. my go to setup on any shooting where a prone position isn't viable.. quick deployment.. strongly recommended..

This is steady enough to make hits on 'chucks at 300 pretty easy in good conditions. Have popped a few at over 500 off it.

Feisol tripod and ball head with Triclawps cradle.

20160513_Chuck%20Hunt-60W.jpg

Adjusts sitting to standing easy. I have the Bogpod heavy duty tripod too, but it isn't even anywhere close to as steady as this.

- DAA

Back