Help deciding on two stage trigger

Crippleone

Hello, I purchased a Ruger ar556 a couple years ago. OK ar but not real good at long range accuracy. So I ordered a white oak armament complete upper. But now I'm thinking I need to get a better trigger. Have decided on a two stage timney drop in. Now I have to decide on the short pull trigger or the long pull. I will mostly be using it for long range bench shooting, but wouldn't rule out some hill side long range coyote hunting. Please help with some ideas, I'm pretty new at this. Thanks

as someone who owns a couple timney 4.5lb single stages - that'll do what you're looking for just nicely. its a beautiful hunting trigger and a reasonable on the bench trigger for that too.

they also make a 3.5 lb version as well if you want a bit lighter break. my 4.5 lb ones break super clean though and i'm working on ruining all the friends/family who have ar's with mil spec triggers slowly but surely
laugh.gif

I was in the same boat but I upgraded to a White Oak's barrel on a factory Colt. My accuracy definitely improved. I got the SDM with 1:7 twist as a planned to shoot heavy loads. I had a single stage Jard because I really liked very light triggers. I ended up upgrading to the Geissle National Match and it is hands down the best 2 stage trigger I've ever pulled. It will definitely improve your accuracy. The new barrel and trigger with 77 Gr Sierra TMK shoots right around the 0.5"-0.7" Mark which is my average of 6 5 shot groups on one target. Still working up loads feeling very close. I feel very confident I can get it right at the half inch mark consistently. That is my ultimate goal. Anyway, the Geissle National Match is just unbelievable. Warning, if you buy 1 you will want more

Can't go wrong with one of these. I have 3 of them and the ones with flat triggers are my favorite.

Triggers

I also have a Timney 3.5lb and it's nice too.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannRock River NM 2-stage. We have 3 Rocks and they all shoot dime size groups with these triggers

Get the Varmint version for $88, money well spent. If you really want a lighter pull order some JP yellow springs.

I have a Geissele two stage(GS2) in my deer/coyote hunting AR and am very pleased with it. It is less expensive than the upper end Geissele triggers as well.

Originally Posted By: MI GrouseOriginally Posted By: RiflemannRock River NM 2-stage. We have 3 Rocks and they all shoot dime size groups with these triggers

THIS!

I have 5 or 6 RRA NM and they can be made into very good triggers IMO. I get JP springs and change out the trigger and disconnector spring. That one takes some work as it's captured but can be done. That will lower your second stage and by clipping 1/2 coil off the spring at a time you can set your own poundage. I usually try for 1 1/4 lb per stage for 2.5 lb total. Leave the hammer spring full strength for faster lock time and better reliability with hard primers. It has very little to do with trigger pull weight on these in my testing. In several years (5 or 6?) of doing this I've never had an issue and still running the same triggers.

Put a RR NM 2 stage in my Grendel build. What the other guys above have said. I didn't think I would like it but I am very pleased with it. Going to order either the Varmint or another RRNM 2 stage. Great Triggers for the price. That disconnector Spring sure is a biach to deal with though. If you get them make sure to get the JP springs.

There is nothing wrong with the RRA set up with a JP lighter trigger spring...I have the exact set up in my 'hunting' AR...

Since you indicate the majority of the use will be from the bench, then I prefer a single stage that can be adjusted for pull weight, rather than the two stage or 'captured' fire control group...more expensive, but usually provides better accuracy...I have one in my .204 AR that was built for PD shooting and while my hunting and action competition ARs have two stage triggers, my .204 is just a little more precise for that type of shooting...

Back