I need your opinion. Which scope?

Im looking at buying a new scope for my 22-250, which is my primary calling rifle. I dont want to spend more than $1200. The criteria Im looking for is at least a 20X top end magnification.

Im looking at the NF SHV, the Meopta Meopro, and the Zeiss Conquest HD. The Zeiss only has 15X so its not exactly my preferred.

Of these, do you have an opinion on which optic you think would be better? Do you know of an optic you would suggest over these I mentioned? Lets hear it. Links to the scopes I mentioned below. Thanks

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/6-5-20x50-new/meopro-6-5-x50/ctgRus.html

http://nightforceoptics.com/shv/5-20%C3%9756

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_d...-2-5-15x56.html

Of the mentioned scopes my vote is for the SHV. They are very clear and an excellent value. I can only comment on the SHV, I dont have any experience with the others.

Maybe take a look at the Burris Veracity 4-20x50. I just put one on my 204 and it's pretty good. Well under your price cap too.

Of the ones you have listed my vote would go to the Zeiss 2.5-15x56. On a calling rifle I think you would have far more use of the 2.5x on the bottom end than 20x on the top end. 2.5x will give at least double the FOV than the other scopes your looking at and 15x on the top end will not be much of a hindrance compared to a 20x hunting. I doubt you would ever put one more coyote on the boards having a 20x over 15x but you would having a 2.5x vs a 6.5x on the bottom end especially out in the desert country where a coyote can appear at very short ranges. The German #4 with a Ill. dot would be a great reticle.

Last edited:
I have the Zeiss 3-15x44. I think the optical quality and clarity is very good. It is mounted on my .22-250 and has been good to shoot a 12" plate at 600 yds. It has impressed me when shooting coyotes at 2-300 yds in very low light.
Have not used either of the others listed.

Thanks for the opinions guys....IMHO, they are all quality glass so its tough decision. Zeiss Conquest also has the HD 5x25x50 for around $1100.........eyeballing that one as well.

It sounds more like your putting together a longrange PD gun not a coyote/pred calling rig. Getting on a coyote booking into the call at 30 yards with a scope that has only a 6' FOV is a lot tougher than one with 16'. Coyotes are a big target, hitting one a 500 yards with 15x isn't much if any harder than hitting one with 20x or 25x. At long range you have lots of time to make a shot, up close you have to be on the button right now.

Last edited:
AWS, That could be the case. sometimes I tend to over power my scopes. Most of my coyotes shots are 200 yards and less....very seldom over 300. Shot one last week at 337, and its been long time since i shot one that far. That was on 14X with My leupold vx3.

I agree totally with AWS. Sounds like you are wanting a PD Scope or bench scope. I run a 3x9 on my calling AR 5.56 and on this ?264 LBC I just put together I'm running a Mark 4 4x14. I keep it set to low power and very seldom go to high power unless there is a crow that needs killing. I shot a NF NXS 3.5x15 that was very impressive the other day. They are clear and a used one is close to your price range. Where I hunt there are few times where I can go to 5-600 yds. Most is 300 and under. I like the lower end on power. Just make sure to get a good quality scope or you will be severely disappointed

All but one of my coyote bolt guns have 1.5-6x40, my combo guns have 1-4x20mm. I have one bolt action with a 2.5-10x40 but rarely take it in the field. I hunt all sorts of country , never in CA but right along the border from Death Valley to Yuma plus WA, MT, UT and NM and yet to be under scoped with my 1.5-6 or 1-4's and they stay on the lowest power with the longest shot on 1.5 at 175, beyond that there is plenty of time to turn them up and 300+ is a chip shot with a 6x.

Oh, my closest was 6 feet, march 2017 in NM, 22 Sav. Highpower on 1x, and have many under 10 yards

Last edited:
When it comes to predator hunting, I have found that a high quality Zeiss has no equal, at least not under $2500.

I have tried them all as far as I know, and if your state allows night hunting or at least up until the last minute of non-illuminated hunting (as in the half hour after sunset), Zeiss is my first choice followed somewhat closely by the VX6 line and a couple of swarovskis.

I would not own a Nightforce short of the ATACR for hunting, so I probably won't ever have one. This is simply because I wish to see every whisker, blade of grass and sly cat in my FOV. You simply cannot do that with the NXS glass.

Now, I'm not talking about a Terra or a plain old Conquest. I have a Conquest DL 3-12x50 on my night rifle. It has their #6 reticle, and an unnecessary illumination system. It is in my opinion the best and most reasonably priced optic for day/night hunting.

If you use white light, then you can get by with a Nikon.... YMMV

Sorry, don't own any of the scopes you've listed. Nightforce, for sure, some of my fellow range members I shoot with on a some what regular basis does own and they're more than happy with the brand. Have seen my share of Zeiss Conquests....not sure about the HD, and no complaints about from the Zeiss owner. Heck, one of our board of directors got miffed about Leupold scopes a number of years ago...was the only scope he'd buy for a long time. Recall him telling me he traded in a dozen or so Leupold scopes so he could buy enough Zeiss Conquest scopes for his rifles....he also owns a few Smiht-Benders and Swarvorskis. Other brands you've mentioned, can't say as I've ever seen one at our 700 member range and I'm there about 3 days a week, a couple of hours each time.

Have a suggestion. You might want to consider a Weaver Super Slam 5-20x50, made in Japan by Light Optics Works. High end Bushnells, Sightrons and others are made by Light Optics Works. Own a few of the Weaver Super Slams. Very nice optics in them and there pull-up turrets for elevation/windage have a nice feel, not to mention reliable adjustments....side parallax adjustment pretty good too. Only draw backs to this scope is: might bit on the heavy side, chuckle, "its internals are built like a tank"....am quoting a gent who does factory warranty work on scopes in Australia. Also, may run into a problem mounting it on two piece scope mounts if you have a long action, such as a Savage. Super Slams are on the short/compact side, you'd probably need extension rings or a one piece mount to install it.

Anyway, just a thought.

Been a few years ago, but a fellow range member (a long time hunter that buys nice/pricey side scopes) showed up with a new rifle and on it was a Zeiss Conquest in same power range (think it was 3-15) and 42mm front lens. I happen to have a same power range Weaver SS on my rifle. These were a step down in power from from 5-20. Anyway, had him sit down with my Weaver scoped rifle after he'd finished shooting and zeroing his new Conquest. I'd asked him to compare his Zeiss Conquest to my Weaver SS. In short, after a few minutes of playing with my Weaver, trying all the adjustments, he tells me "I can't see any difference between the Zeiss and the Weaver, but I think I like your cross hair better than mine." I'd found a good sale price on my Weaver SS. My Weaver was two or three hundred dollars lower priced than his Conquest.

Mind you, think Weaver has redone the Super Slam line of scopes, so don't own the newer versions.

Last edited:
I like Meopta. I have no need for that much magnification when hunting coyotes. The rifle I hunt coyotes with most of the time has a Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44.

Originally Posted By: B23Maybe take a look at the Burris Veracity 4-20x50. I just put one on my 204 and it's pretty good. Well under your price cap too.

The Veracity is great option.

Originally Posted By: AWSIt sounds more like your putting together a longrange PD gun not a coyote/pred calling rig. Getting on a coyote booking into the call at 30 yards with a scope that has only a 6' FOV is a lot tougher than one with 16'. Coyotes are a big target, hitting one a 500 yards with 15x isn't much if any harder than hitting one with 20x or 25x. At long range you have lots of time to make a shot, up close you have to be on the button right now.

Very good advice^^^^^

I have been hunting coyotes for over 40 years and have never needed over 6-7 power for even long shots. Low variable powered scope and a rifle set up with a good solid MPBR and you are set.

Back