How many of you carry a first aid pack

I used to carry a quality kit when I was a Fly Fishing Guide. Carried tampons. Came in handy once, guy had a nose bleed. Shoved one of those puppies in each nostril and finished out the day....what a trooper he was. Never had a female ask for one though.......Now a days I carry a "Get back to the Jeep Kit" I also carry a little CPR barrier. Never know whos gonna need it. And then a full blown trauma kit is waiting for me back at camp or in my Jeep.

Where I live, I expect to use up everything in my kit and wish for more at any given time. The hold my beer and watch this crowd driving jacked up side by sides and atvs are everywhere.

Originally Posted By: AWS

I always look at it, if it is so bad that I can't get to help with those thing at least I'm going out doing what I love. I've been stabbed a couple of times, seriously cut, blown up, shot(minor wound)drowned and nearly froze to death more than a couple of times and broke a couple of bones and am still kicking. I refuse to even take my cell phone out in the field, I might do something stupid because in the back of my mind "the cell phone will save me". I spent most of my life with the phone wired to the wall, they are just annoying in the field.

Bloody [beeep], if I had all that stuff happen to me forget cell phone, I think I'd bring an EMT with me in the field.

This kid (17) invented this stuff that you can get for a Vet. It's under review to administer to people.

This is a break through for the stopping bleeding. You can still bleed out internally, but it's better than super glue.

It's taken me 70 years, including a 13 months in Vietnam,three years living in a tènt in northern WI, 12 years of working construction and running solo traplines on a horse, by canoe, and on xç skis, a little logging including some horse logging, living in a house that was only accessible by snowshoe or xc skis 6 months of the year and spending as much as I can in the outdoors to acquire I few of the injuries.

First aid kits are for convenience. It's convenient to put a band aid on a cut. It's convenient to tape a bandage to a skinned knee. It's convenient to have a safety pin or ointment. But you don't really need any of that stuff.

A trauma kit is for those OH S*** incidents that are life/limb threatening. CPR mask, tournaquet, compression bandages, occlusive dressings, needle n thread. For when unusual stuff happens. Gunshot, impalement, amputation. Very few first aid kits have this stuff especially not small kits for day trips etc.

For other traumatic injuries, no first aid kit is gonna do much for you. Many of these injuries are caused by gravity. Head injuries and other internal injuries from falls or crushes, compound fractures, etc.

Heart attack, stroke, clots, heat stroke, dehydration, hypothermia, venomous snake bite... none of those can really be treated with a first aid kit.

In the more serious scenarios, you're toast if you don't have evacuation/transportation, communication, or equipment available. If you're in a group, someone can run for help. If you're alone, take pictures.

The reality is, a basic first aid kit is just a convenience for cuts and scrapes.

On a day hunt for example, the most likely injury you'll have is a cut or scrape. Next is probably a twisted ankle or worse a broken foot/leg. Then maybe snake bite. Prepare for the most likely scenario.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGFirst aid kits are for convenience. It's convenient to put a band aid on a cut. It's convenient to tape a bandage to a skinned knee. It's convenient to have a safety pin or ointment. But you don't really need any of that stuff.

A trauma kit is for those OH S*** incidents that are life/limb threatening. CPR mask, tournaquet, compression bandages, occlusive dressings, needle n thread. For when unusual stuff happens. Gunshot, impalement, amputation. Very few first aid kits have this stuff especially not small kits for day trips etc.

For other traumatic injuries, no first aid kit is gonna do much for you. Many of these injuries are caused by gravity. Head injuries and other internal injuries from falls or crushes, compound fractures, etc.

Heart attack, stroke, clots, heat stroke, dehydration, hypothermia, venomous snake bite... none of those can really be treated with a first aid kit.

In the more serious scenarios, you're toast if you don't have evacuation/transportation, communication, or equipment available. If you're in a group, someone can run for help. If you're alone, take pictures.

The reality is, a basic first aid kit is just a convenience for cuts and scrapes.

On a day hunt for example, the most likely injury you'll have is a cut or scrape. Next is probably a twisted ankle or worse a broken foot/leg. Then maybe snake bite. Prepare for the most likely scenario.

...unless you hunt in the desert with kids.

I carry first aid stuff in my Truck which I am never to far from. You can take care of most issues with what you have on you. If I was to hike hours from my vehicle then that would be different story. The military produced a bandage/ dressing that looked like a triangular bandage with a thick dressing attached to it. They were about the size of a small wallet but were easy to use and would take care of a pretty decent wound. Big thing is don't panic and use what you have, until you can get to something better!

I think the first aid kits you buy in the store's has a lot of crap that you will never use. I use a ziploc bag and put the things that I need in it. I do have tampons in mine an old military trick.

Last edited:
I carry what I can to keep me going without ruining the outing for everyone.
The one time I was seriously injured, instinct forced me to improvise a tourniquet with no training or knowledge.
Fortunately the cell phone had reception as I had checked that weeks before by chance.
Wool clothing barely kept me warm.
The one thing that would have helped from the beginning was GPS coordinates to relay to rescuers.
Instead they asked to resort to horn honking and and flashers. Agonizing.
No question I would be dead without these few breaks but could have saved hours with GPS.

When I go backpacking 60 miles, I carry a few steri strips and a few bandaids. Some tape and super glue. Bunch of ibuprofen. That's about it. Figure anything needs more than that, it's just going to suck to be me for awhile or maybe that's where I cash in.

- DAA

I have some of the stuff as you all have said. But i also always keep Celox and stitch kits of different sizes and material. But those were a perk from working for a Dr at one time. Also i keep some injectable Benyadryl. I keep hearing that anti-venom is not used that much anymore. Instead they shoot you full of anti-hestamines. Like Benadryl.

If it's a cut/wound that I need just a bandaid for, then it's time to put away the hunting gear and start playing with barbies. I just keep a pocket knife on me. If I need to cut some clothing off to make a tourniquet that's what I'll do. If it's so serious that a tourniquet can't take care of it till I get back to the truck, well I guess it was just my time to go!

I just ordered some Israeli Bandages. Had some training last week part of which was dealing with combat wounds. We played around with several devices but the one most highly recommended and versatile was the Israeli Bandage. Looks very versatile and has a good track record in actual use. I can see no reason not to toss one in the pack. In fact, I'll have one in my hunting pack, personal vehicles, duty "go bag" and several in the trunk of my department Charger.

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgkI have some of the stuff as you all have said. But i also always keep Celox and stitch kits of different sizes and material. But those were a perk from working for a Dr at one time. Also i keep some injectable Benyadryl. I keep hearing that anti-venom is not used that much anymore. Instead they shoot you full of anti-hestamines. Like Benadryl.

http://www.liveactionsafety.com/celox-a-...AiABEgL4-fD_BwE

For under $20, take a look and you decide if it's something you might want to keep on hand in case of a shooting accident.

Back