6.5x284 vs 7mm mag

yotehunter243

Looking at buying another rifle and have always been intrigued by bother chambers. Iv had a 264 win mag and sold it like an idiot. But does the 6.5 really do anything the 7 mag can't? Rifle will be used for deer, hogs, and possible out west for all and pronghorn. Not really looking at long range hunt but will definitely shoot it to 600

If you're wanting to shoot heavier bullets the 7mm will definitely give you more options in that department.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243 But does the 6.5 really do anything the 7 mag can't? Rifle will be used for deer, hogs, and possible out west for all and pronghorn.

Well, no. To get the same B.C with a .284 bullet that you can get with a .264 bullet you will, of course, have to go with a heavier bullet. But even though 6.5 calibers have made huge leaps in popularity in the last few years a good shooting 7mm Rem with the proper bullet can still get out there with a bit more thump than a 6.5.284 can. Not enough difference to say so though. I'd say toss this one up to personal preference.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I shoot neither, but unless you are reloading, I'd go with the 7 mag as you can find ammo just about anywhere. If you are dead set on a 6.5, have you considered 6.5mm Creedmoor? It's quickly becoming more of a mainstay cartridge, less recoil, good brass life (at least from what I hear and read). Another great 6.5 is the 6.5x55 Swede.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Looking at buying another rifle and have always been intrigued by bother chambers. Iv had a 264 win mag and sold it like an idiot. But does the 6.5 really do anything the 7 mag can't? Rifle will be used for deer, hogs, and possible out west for all and pronghorn. Not really looking at long range hunt but will definitely shoot it to 600

Just get the one YOU want.
If, you just cannot make up your mind because you want both, buy one of each!

Ok, I know you asked just about the 6.5x284 and 7mm mag, however I'm going to throw a "best of both worlds" out there. The .280 Remington. It has less recoil than the 7mm and on par with the 6.5x 284. It's easier on brass and barrels yet shoots .284 (7mm bullets). Brass can easily be formed from .30-06 which is found everywhere and you can push a 150gr bullet with a high BC to 2900 fps!

It'll take Elk, hogs, antelope, etc. if you do not reload it's more of a challenge to find on the shelf loads. I have a 7mm mag that I really like, but have considered trading it for a .280 Remington.

My 2. Cents

I think if you are looking for a one gun do all that doesn't have a lot of recoil the 7mm mag is a very good choice.

I have a 7mm Blaser mag that is pretty much a twin to a 7mm Rem mag just without the belt. I shoot the 180gr Bergers 3050fps. The gun weighs a couple onces over 10lbs has a medium size baffle brake and has next to no recoil. Also have a 6.5-284 that I shoot suppressed with a SAS barricade and with the 140's it also has little to no recoil.

If you think you may go for larger game like Elk then I would tend towards the 7mm otherwise both are fine for the smaller stuff.

Last edited:
Depending on the game you're after:

If you're planning to shoot 140 grain and lesser weight bullets, the 6.5-284 makes a great hunting cartridge.

If you plan to shoot 140 grain and heavier weight bullets, the 7MM Rem Mag makes a great hunting cartridge.

Please notice that I didn't say anything about target shooting with either cartridge.

7 Mag- 168g Berger VLD Hunting- BC of .618 at 3000 fps
-180g VLD Hunting-BC of .673- velocity of 2800-2900 depending on the rifle

6.5/284- 140g VLD Hunting- BC of .600-2900 - 3000 Max. fps

Both calibers have about the same barrel life.

Chances are if you miss with one, you will miss with the other. ON quartering shots, and larger animals, the 7mm bullets will carry the day.

Next step up is the 7mm Mashburn Super(168 at 3200-3300, 7mm Practical(7/300 Win mag-180g at 3000), 7 STW and the 28 Nosler with the 195's at 3150 with ungodly accuracy.

Last edited:
Back