52 gr Berger varmint bullets for coyote

Husker04

These bullets shoot very well in my 22 nosgar. But I have never shot a coyote with one.
They are going around 3500 at the barrel. I was just wondering are they a good killing bullet for drt shots. I am just looking for a bullet for shooting in competition so if they tear up fur I don't care.

I have killed quite a few coyotes with them in my two 22-250's so I would say you are good to go.

Also shot a dozen or so hogs and about that many deer with them too.

I shot a lot of coyotes with the 52g Berger and the 52g sierra out of 22/250's and AI versions.

I do prefer any of the sierra 55's(other than the blitz king) and the 55g Nosler due to cost as they all kill very well.

Pile them up, never had splash problem with them out of my 22-250 (3600-3700). But as mentioned I found less expensive bullets that shot well and also easy on fur.

I've killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 - 40 coyotes with the 52 gr Berger MV's. Running at bout 3500 fps they kill well and don't mess up the animal too bad. At maximum velocity they kill even better and leave a bloody mess all over the place.

I was working up a load with 52 gr MV's and found two that worked well. Both with IMR 4350. I screwed up and loaded a bunch of shells with the lighter load. Very accurate and I killed one coyote out at 421 yards which is my longest coyote kill. Most are well under 100.

Later I discovered my mistake and loaded up the hotter load. Coyotes were blown up so bad I didn't want to take pictures. My wife was with me and couldn't believe the damage a little bullet could do.

A friend uses the regular 52 grain Match loads and likes it a lot. The 52 grain MV is the most accurate bullet I've found for my 22-250, 223AI and 222 Mag.

For a lot of years I hunted with the Sierra 52 grain BTHP. Accurate and killed very good out of my 22-250. For some reason I haven't been able to find a good load for it with the new Hodgdon powders.

Last edited:
I've shot several hundred coyotes with bullets that I make that are identical to the Berger 52. Same jacket and lead alloy. 40 years ago I was told that type of bullet was no good for coyotes.....they were wrong. They make a great bullet for coyotes.

I started shooting 52.gr.HPBT bullets almost 50yrs. ago sierra, hornady,then burgers when they came out over 1000 coyotes later they seem to work ok.hornadys cost less and work as well as any if they shoot in your gun.

I too use the Berger 52's. They shoot outstanding and seam to kill very well as well as mostly fur friendly. Many many coyotes can contest to that fast, if they could...
I was using Matchkings but not killing them went to the Berger and there falling over just fine . I load it up in a 22/250 and use Varget.

Great info guys, I too am considering this bullet vs plastic tipped bullets for coyotes. I hope to make a substantial dent in the coyote population up here in saskatchewan this fall and the auction house sales results make it that much more attractive. Thanks

Back