First look at FLIR's new Q14B 12um BosonThermal Monocular Pics, Vids and Reviews

Victor_TNVC

Traveled to FLIR for a relaxing meeting and enjoyed some good Cuban cigars along with playing with the new line of 12um Boson goodies. Hands down the best 320 I've seen to date! At first look, it was hard to believe this was a 320 system. Took some quick pics and vids. Game changer for sure. We'll post many more pics as well.

This little monocular with a price tag of around 2K range is gonna be a big hit when they release soon. We are talking pre-orders with a simple email to sales at tnvc dot com.

Enjoy the vids, more to come.

I Can't wait for this little unit. I think I'm going to have to go ahead and preorder one. People are going to be amazed at the size of these units. The onboard recording is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerI Can't wait for this little unit. I think I'm going to have to go ahead and preorder one. People are going to be amazed at the size of these units. The onboard recording is just a bonus.

Myself also Kyle. Internal recording, mounting for dovetail and bayonet helmet if one wants to go that route, internal recording and snap shots, fits in the palm of your hand, and along with some of the best 320 I've seen to date where you REALLY think you'll looking into a 640 system along with a 1280 display...Whew.

Q14B_B_zpskh5gw4lq.jpg

Q14B_A_zps3p0bzlre.jpg

Q14B_E_zpsucbmhwuk.jpg

That 9.1mm lens is going to be outstanding for helmet mounted and hand scanning detection, about the same size and weight as a pack of cigarettes. Unreal performance in a super tiny lightweight package.

Q14%20Gun%20Knife.jpg

I see that this is a monocular but it also has a crosshair and I'm trying to figure if it is also a rifle scope or just a monocular.

I found this video that says it can be weapon mounted, so enlighten me about whether it's just a monocular only or if it is also a weapon sight.

One thing for certain - it is small!

Vic based on what you have seen with the new Flir stuff coming out. Do you think it is worth waiting on a thermal scope to maybe get one of the new units with the new cores instead of going with Trijicon EO? Also have you heard whether they have a program to maybe outfit an older flir unit with the new core and maybe new screen?

Vic,
I've also got a question.
I currently have a PS32. Would the new Boson unit be an upgrade worth doing?
I expect to take a big loss if I sell the PS32.
If I am going to do it, I will most likely be looking at the 640 unit.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Do I understand correctly that this is a monocular? I see that it has a crosshair and I'm trying to figure if it is also a rifle scope or just a monocular.

I found this video that says it can be weapon mounted, so enlighten me about whether it's just a monocular only or if it is also a weapon sight.

One thing for certain - it is small!

This model the Q14B is ONLY a monocular system for helmet or hand held use. The cross hair pic/s are from some of the new FLIR Boson 320 12um weapon sights I was testing. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: whitetail436Vic based on what you have seen with the new Flir stuff coming out. Do you think it is worth waiting on a thermal scope to maybe get one of the new units with the new cores instead of going with Trijicon EO? Also have you heard whether they have a program to maybe outfit an older flir unit with the new core and maybe new screen?

Just depends what your budget is. While I have not seen the FLIR Boson 12um 640 yet, but if any of the 320 12um's is an indicator, they will be just as good as the BAE 12um going into the Triji/IRD units at half the cost!

Also, I do not know if they have any plans for an upgrade program. Time will tell and I will report back if I hear of anything. Thank you.

I was planning on picking up a pulsar hd19a this summer as my first intro into thermal. I have used one and they work great. My question being is this unit better than the hd19a even with the price difference. I can get a new hd19a for $1300 right now and $2k is my budget for a scanner. Thank you for the advice.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrVic,
I've also got a question.
I currently have a PS32. Would the new Boson unit be an upgrade worth doing?
I expect to take a big loss if I sell the PS32.
If I am going to do it, I will most likely be looking at the 640 unit.

It would be greatly worth it for the upgrade. There is that much difference in the quality of the image.

Originally Posted By: whitetail436Thanks for the input Vic. Keep us posted.

You bet. Another from the 9.1mm Q14B in 320 12um Boson

Q14B_D_zpsg5lqn2di.jpg

Q14B%20320%209mm%202_zpsikqrtkds.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BmelvinHow does this unit compare to a hd19a? Thank you
-

That is what I am wondering about Bosun Q14 Monoc & HD19A . with comparing image distance of detection and field of view, Looking with both side X side on 1 X power for a viewing .

My, Quantum HD19A is no slouch and great performer for the money, with lightweight for lanyard hang around neck and field scanning .
Bosun is smaller, lighter weight and Helmet mount compatible .
Bosun will have the upper edge with smaller pixel Res .
Both have a 19mm focal length .
Both have 30 Hz
Core Resolution .. Boson 336×256 . & . HD19A has 384x288

HD19A has ( 16mm ) Obj. lens . & . Boson has only a ( 9.1 mm ) Obj. lens .
--> How is that smaller 9.1 mm Obj. going to playout in performance in comparison ???
HD19A does have the 2X zoom option . nice option for scanning .
-

Thanks Index. I Never really used the zoom feature on the hd38a or hd19a for scanning. I am more curious about the clarity and detection range between the flir boson Q14b and the hd19a. so the boson will have small pixel resolution which equals better clarity if I'm not mistaken ( still new to this thermal game). What about detection range?

Originally Posted By: IndexFingerOriginally Posted By: BmelvinHow does this unit compare to a hd19a? Thank you .
HD19A does have the 2X zoom option . nice option for scanning .
-

Too grainy at 2X, never use it.

I'm not familiar with the numbers and the specs but for 8X to work I assume the clarity at 1X would be much better on the FLIR than the 19A.

Best thermal I've looked through was a BAE/Skeet-IR?, only played with it a few minutes at a contest check in so not sure exactly what it was. Clarity was amazing, far superior to my HD19A, but carried a $12-18k price tag depending on who you talk to. I would expect it to be better, it looked very similar to the FLIR unit in this post. It was a rental unit for the weekend from UNV I believe, he got that because everything else was rented. I don't see it listed anymore on there website. Not sure if it zoomed either.

Back