CCW Guys

mooretitan

Just wondering how often do you actually carry. I am in the process of getting my CCW and wondering how often do you actually carry and how comfortable it is. Excuse the lack of knowledge
1. Do you carry at the gym
2. Do you carry at theme parks
3. Do you carry at sporting events
4. Do you carry while running

I know there are some places that don't allow firearms do you carry anyway.

Thanks

I carry daily,

But don't take my weapon to do the things in your list. I leave it locked up while doing those activities.

If they don't allow and i don't need to go in, i don't go in. I go somewhere else.

For the places that I have to go in, i find places that i feel the risk is low.

If you have to carry while jogging or running, you need to move, or go somewhere you feel safer. I go hiking, and carry in my camelback.

Do you leave it in your truck and a small safe??? Do you put it a locked locker in the gym/theme park. Just wondering the likely hood of someone breaking into whatever I have it locked up in.

Yes I do need to move. Just wondering generally how often and where people carry

Thanks

I have a secure place in my truck. It is locked and it would take a thief a lot of effort to get into get it.

But, hey... If someone wants to break into your car, steal your stuff, then break into another locked device to steal what is in there I have done my job.

Especially since it would be obvious that it's happening and I don't park in places where it makes it easier to steal.

I personally would only feel comfortable leaving my firearm in a locked box at a police station or court house. That's it.
I would rather lock it in my truck before going in. I don't go to theme parks enough to worry about it. I personally try to avoid any reason to go to California when possible.

I pretty much carry daily. I dont do gyms or running, (and it shows), so no answer. That would take a comfortable, secure, and unique holster option I would think. I do hike and hunt, and have something on me them, somehow. When I must legally not carrying into some places, I lock it up in the truck. No safe, so not sure how that'd work out. My truck is such a mess nobody would normally wanna break into it anyhow, and if they do, good luck searching it! LOL! Passengers side floor is the garbage can.

I carry from the time I wake up 'till I go to bed. Ruger LCP in my right pocket. If I have to go into a populated area I have that and a G17 IWB on me. Only pace I don't carry that you are not supposed to is on school grounds, don't care to be a felon. Every where else well concealed means concealed. And if I need to go to Richmond I carry both plus 2 extra mags for the G17. Besides isis wanna bees and their jihad there are some bad ghetto goblins in Richmond.

I carry often and found out that a wheelchair allowed me pass a security check once.
w00t.gif

Knowing the problems Like panic mode in the hospital when they encounter it, I have started carrying a Kimber pepper pistol.
It lowers the threshold of use and any aftershock business.
I have encountered Real problems when mounting/dismounting wheelchair from vehicle many times in many places/towns.
The next one is after I'm in the rig, lock the doors, every time.
Unfortunately over 50% of the time anyone offering help is scoping the situation and has an accomplice/getaway vehicle.
This is a very real daily worry and I have lost over $1000 stuff in these encounters where police could do nothing.

When I walk out the door. Park it when entering prohibited area or avoid those prohibited areas if not absolutely necessary.

Funny carry story. Accompanied wife to our Dr. for her appt. one day (I was not seeing the Dr. that day, so was carrying). I had a minor issue the wife thought the Dr. should look at and she kept bringing that up while he was trying to deal with her issues in spite of my dirty looks head shakes, and negative replies. Finally, with his nurse standing by taking notes, he replied to my wife's last request to look at me, "OK, you're not going to drop it, are you.", looked at me and said, "step on the scales".
Uhhohhh! I did.......do you know that a loaded, full sized 1911 and two extra loaded mags weighs exactly 5#? Good news was that he did not ask me to take off my shirt, but suggested I needed to get some weight off and made an appt. for 3 months, at which time he congratulated me on losing 5#. I replied, "nothing to it Doc" and gave my wife a smile.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZWolves, sheep, and Guard dogs.

I hate that we seem to have so many wolves and not enough Guard Dogs.

The guard dog mentality is all well and good, but you better check the laws in your state regarding the use of deadly force.
Using deadly force to protect another person from death or serious physical injury ( or forcible rape, or arson of an occupied dwelling) is usually allowed for a police officer, but it is NOT always allowed for a civilian.

Always.
I never leave it anywhere.
The safest place for it is on me under my constant control.
Just because you have it does not mean anyone needs to know.
If your situational awareness fails and you should need it then everything else will be small potatoes.
I don't do schools or surgery but always otherwise.

I find I am more polite and much less likely to anger when I am armed.
I shoot almost every day.
I don't expect to need it but there is no way to know that.

I don't run. I don't gym. I carry anytime I step out of the house. I spent many years as a sheep dog. Now I'm an old dog but still have all my teeth. LEOSA gives me a lot of leeway nationwide. I have skills and the temperament for CCW. Judgment is the key to use the other two. The first is easy. The second is probably a social development issue. The last is hard earned and no one ever knows how that will work until the whistle blows.

Greg

I carry everywhere but don't do Gyms or theme parks. Do I carry where I'm not supposed to? Not always, but yes I do, especially If I have to go to Wallymart for some reason. I don't shop at places that don't allow firearms but sometimes it can't be avoided. I'm not giving up my self defense just because they want me to, I need a better reason. Just so you know, I've used a gun in a self defense situation twice and am still alive to discuss it.

Last edited:
I need to add, I've not shot anybody. I busted a guys front teeth out with a Ruger P85 shoved into his mug while he was trying to carjack me at a rest area. And have held one to a guys head I got on the ground while waiting for the police to show up. He soiled himself. I hope to never shoot anybody, but I am prepared to.

I carry everywhere, except where it is a felony to carry. Even when I walk, run, hike, whatever, there is at least a 380 somewhere on me, but most likely a Glock 27(40 S&W), or if hiking, a Glock 20.

We were going through an entrance to a National Park, and a nice young lady Ranger told us there were bears active in the area, and did we have pepper spray, and noise makers. I told her I would pepper an aggressive bear with 10mm slugs, and the Glock 20 was loud. She looked at me, then cracked a smile, and said, "Sounds like you good to go, Have a nice day". I may have gotten lucky with that comment to a park ranger. My wife was not amused, but I was born with the wise crack gene.
grin.gif

Squeeze

If I get up in the morning, I'm almost always carrying, even around the house and yard, since home invasions are on the rise...I can't run or do gyms due to health,,,,I have too many health issues to take a butt kicking, or give one, so hospitals and some government buildings are the only places I lock it in the safe installed in each vehicle...(each of those safes also hold one that is bigger than the one I normally carry)

If a business posts a sign of "No weapons allowed", I refuse to walk back to the car to secure the weapon...They either don't want to accept my money, or overlook my security, since few provide for it...Too many years as an officer that was trained to never surrender your weapon...

Originally Posted By: hm1996When I walk out the door. Park it when entering prohibited area or avoid those prohibited areas if not absolutely necessary.

Funny carry story. Accompanied wife to our Dr. for her appt. one day (I was not seeing the Dr. that day, so was carrying). I had a minor issue the wife thought the Dr. should look at and she kept bringing that up while he was trying to deal with her issues in spite of my dirty looks head shakes, and negative replies. Finally, with his nurse standing by taking notes, he replied to my wife's last request to look at me, "OK, you're not going to drop it, are you.", looked at me and said, "step on the scales".
Uhhohhh! I did.......do you know that a loaded, full sized 1911 and two extra loaded mags weighs exactly 5#? Good news was that he did not ask me to take off my shirt, but suggested I needed to get some weight off and made an appt. for 3 months, at which time he congratulated me on losing 5#. I replied, "nothing to it Doc" and gave my wife a smile.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

I went to the Dr. once and couldn't see my regular Dr. so I agreed to see another. The look on her face was priceless when she told me to pull up my shirt. She took one look at my XD45 and flipped out. I was respectful at first but she went on and on and on. So I laid a cussing on her that she will never forget. There is now a no guns allowed sign on the door.

My eye DR. is a different story. If I am carrying something different than I was last time he has to check it out.

Originally Posted By: mooretitanJust wondering how often do you actually carry. I am in the process of getting my CCW and wondering how often do you actually carry and how comfortable it is. Excuse the lack of knowledge
1. Do you carry at the gym
2. Do you carry at theme parks
3. Do you carry at sporting events
4. Do you carry while running

I know there are some places that don't allow firearms do you carry anyway.

Thanks

I would never give advice which condones carrying past a sign at a carry prohibited marked location. That's the law, and whether you agree or not, by carrying past signs, we're breaking the law. I generally drive by the front door to scan for signs before I use any given establishment, giving the me option to leave it secured in my truck if needed. I won't say I've never gotten a speeding ticket for breaking a "small law," and I won't say I don't expect to get more in the future for continuing to break the particular speed limit law. But the law is the law.

As a general rule - I carry every day, and I carry anywhere which doesn't have a carry prohibited sign, OR an implied prohibition law.

1. Depends on the gym. I use one gym which has locker rooms, in which I often do carry into the locker room and remove my pistol there. I train at a martial arts "gym," which we don't call a "dojo" since we're not a Japanese martial art, where there aren't (not really) shower facilities or lockers, so I leave it in the truck, instead of having it rolled up in my gym bag out on the floor.

2. Depends on my mood. I can't say I remember the last time I've gone to a theme park, but as my son is getting older, I'm sure we'll go to some soon. If it's not marked prohibited and I have been there, most likely, I have carried there.

3. It's illegal, so see preface. I don't go often to sporting events - used to keep K State season football tickets, but haven't gone in a few years.

4. Most of the time, yes. I usually wear a Nathan bottle pack, which comfortably conceals an LCP. Draw string shorts will usually hold up an LCP as well, but it's less comfortable than carrying in the pack. On my bike (Specialized Shiv), I have an X-Lab Wingman pack in my bars which holds my LCP too. I go back and forth with a triangular frame bag which can hold something much larger.

It's kinda like wearing a watch (or what wearing a watch used to be) - there are times I don't wear a watch and times which call for different watches to suit the activity.

Back