Trijicon 640s vs. Pulsar 640s scope mounted

Everyone will have an option, so be ready...

I think it comes down to what is important to you. If clarity is your #1 then Trijicon wins. They are proven units and perform amazingly.

If nice features are worth a slight sacrifice in performance then Pulsar wins with it's onboard recording, pairing, and other features. While it seems to be a great scope, it's still new to the market and working out kinks.

Based off the stuff I've seen with Pulsar is plenty clear, but all the videos I've seen are during good thermal conditions and aren't during poor conditions that really effect thermal units (when it's hot, or after rain, in high humidity, etc).

If I could do it all over again I'd consider Pulsar because it does seem plenty clear and it'd be nice to clean up my set up with the wires for external battery and DVR on my rifle.

Last edited:
The on board recording is important to me, but so is video quality, what units are being used on TV, I'm just wondering, like with O'Neil Ops and Night Crew, the tv quality thermal looks great. So they use a DVR for the Trijicons?

You won't get TV quality footage through a DVR with any unit. The way most of the high quality thermal videos are recorded are with a custom camera set-up that someone took the time to fabricate themselves. You cannot shoot this way either. It's for recording only. If you want to be able to film what you shoot, buy a 640 core Pulsar Trail.

Doesn't the new XP50 have the same video quality as the Core? I want to video what I shoot from a stand alone scope mount, don't think i like the idea of a day scope and the clip on together, but I'm very new to this. Plus I like the PIP capability, does Trijicon have anything like the PIP? Thank you for your patients..

Hey Brad. No, Trijicon doesn't have a pip type feature. In fact I think that's a Pulsar only thing. The XP50 will have much better video quality than the Core because of the difference in sensor resolution. I also prefer a standalone scope to a clip-on. With a good QD mount on your thermal and on your day scope, you can achieve basically the same type of result and save the weight of having two optics on the rifle at the same time.

Not trying to speak for Tom, but I think he probably meant a 640 core scope and not the CORE clip on. Also keep in mind that unlike tubed NV, thermal works in daylight as well as darkness.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpNot trying to speak for Tom, but I think he probably meant a 640 core scope and not the CORE clip on. Also keep in mind that unlike tubed NV, thermal works in daylight as well as darkness.

Yes. Thanks for clarifying. The CORE Clip-On has no video out port so you wouldn't be able to record anything with it. I was referring to a 640 thermal core in my post above or in other words, a Pulsar Trail XP.

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasThe on board recording is important to me, but so is video quality, what units are being used on TV, I'm just wondering, like with O'Neil Ops and Night Crew, the tv quality thermal looks great. So they use a DVR for the Trijicons?

This video is done with ATN gear and only a DVR, some of the best footage I've seen personally using a Thermal and DVR, Some of it was aired on the Sportsman's channel and I thought it was T.V. quality, even better than a lot of daytime footage out there.

I'm currently editing footage from all Trijicon gear, the M300w Patrol, M250XR, REAP IR, and MKIII 60mm, all filmed through the ocular, almost 70 kills in a month, and I can tell you the footage and quality is significantly better than the video above. I've got one shot using the M250XR you can literally see the Vapor Trail... Vapor trail with the thermal, pretty good stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM, I can sure try and help you out best I can.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCThis is a vid we shot out the back of some Trji/IRD gear with no internal recording.

That honestly is about as good as a guy can get right there.

The Trijicon stuff is the absolute cleanest image you can buy presently. Love my Reap and my Patrol.

That said my new Pulsar XP is my go to. Reason being is the onboard recording. It's such an amazing feature.

It's a hard decision between them honestly.

I'm getting into working with thermal video a good bit more after a year plus of just dabbling with it.

This video on my own youtube channel was filmed through an IRD mkii 35mm with an iphone and looks pretty decent. That channel also has some DVR'd footage as well. There is also a new channel called PC Live Feeds that I have some video on from the Trail XP50 onboard recording and I'll try to link that as well. Once I get a few more things rolling I'll be putting both 35mm and mkiii 60mm footage on that channel also. Some footage will be recorded and some hunts will roll live as they happen.

(PC Live Feed link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8EeSJQx1HcibF9R7VvoIRA

(This is not an attempt to advertise, the videos previously contained company names. This post is solely intended to answer the question of the OP)

Thanks and you're welcome. I'm uploading some XP50 footage right now and will post when it's done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NoName1Thanks and you're welcome. I'm uploading some XP50 footage right now and will post when it's done.

Like dangling a bag of crack in front of a junkie, I got the popcorn ready. Let's see it.

Back