Fishing anyone ? I know we all do it.

jetman

There it is now...
Reluctantly I left my little fishing / coyote hunting little granddaughter, buddy home asleep. My son and I left at stupid but early (2:30 am ) to go try for some sturgeon this morning. The river is running high and has triggered the shovel nose and the channel cats to start there "RUN"
101_2681_zpsirt70kc2.jpg

101_2679_zpsggz2hkkf.jpg

Worm and sucker meat was the bait of the day and a 5oz sinker.
Heavy spider wire and heavy poles, and head lamps.
About 3:30 I hooked the first one , it was a nice sturgeon around 25". we both got in to them for about 2 1/2 hours quite steady.
The Cats where hit and miss and we never got one on the ground but there great fun too.
we kept 3 to eat one was right at the top of what we cane keep. Any thing OVER 40" has to go back in, that when they start to breed they say. By 8:30 the action shot off and the goldeye moved in and we left.

101_2677_zpsejkgtinh.jpg

101_2675_zpsxle1vgyb.jpg

101_2682_zpsc15dv9r6.jpg

Anyone gota can opener ?

Looks like fun. Only sturgeon I've caught was bi catch while walleye fishing.on the Missouri years ago. I did catch something here the other day rivals them on ugliness. Don't have pic but Google guitar fish if curious.

No fishing for us right now but the kayaking and rafting are going off! Couple three more weeks and the runoff will be over and the color out of the river and the fishing will be good. No sturgeon though! Strange looking fish..

Caught close to 40 bass on Sam Rayburn on Weds. That was the first time that my boat has been in the water in a year. Great day with my wife and baby girl and the fish cooperated.

Wow, nice work and great success.

It's just making more jealous..
wink.gif

I got the boat out, cleaned up, tuned up, and almost all the repairs done..

I even stripped all the line off all the poles, to put new fresh line on them. (in AZ if you don't do that every so often, you will snap a line from the heat breaking down the line)

For those that fish, i used a straight line dispenser and drill to make quick work of it. I had one of these, and on one side, you can use pliers to get the handle off without breaking it. put that post in the drill and tie the line to it from the fishing pole (i put the pole in a rod holder in the boat, and the drill stripped all the line of fast. Then I put could use a knife to cut it off the spooler. Supper easy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-100-ft-Gold-Twisted-Line-with-Reel-D39101N/203811779

I hope to get the boat in the water soon.

Took son & g-son in a friends boat & caught 6 spots on Lanier.
Son got 4 and g-son & I each got 1, went from sunrise to lunch.
Biggest was 3 1/2 lbs, all on top water poppers.
Here's mine:
165571265.0fet6PUJ.DSC05087a.JPG

165571275.GD19IdDg.DSC05068.JPG

Fishing on Lake Powell was on fire this spring. From March through May, my typical day (2 people on a bass boat) would result in catching 4-5 different species and about 40 fish overall. About 75% would be smallmouth bass and the others were crappie, walleye, stripers, largemouth, and catfish. The catch rate on stripers was through the roof, but they were skinny so I did not focus on them. For anglers that did, a typical day striper fishing would yield about 50 stripers per boat with the stripers averaging 2-3 pounds.

Here is a pic of the best largemouth, crappie, and smallmouth.

Bluegill are biting really well in my neck of the woods. Been catching some nice 10"-11" gills.

Good going GC. I used to cath them like that with grandpa in Alabama. You would think that they would get that big here but I have never seen it.

My Son and I have been catching LM in some local ponds, mainly on Senko type worms wacky rigged, plan on trying a local stream for some smallmouth when he gets off work later today.

Those big old bluegills are some good eating. The wife and I usually start with crappie, bluegills and then catfish. Many of those end up on the table. My son and I fish small bass tournaments around here for fun.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223My Son and I have been catching LM in some local ponds, mainly on Senko type worms wacky rigged, plan on trying a local stream for some smallmouth when he gets off work later today.

I love fishing Senko's! That is one versatile bait. Topwater bite has been on here and we've been killing 'em on the Whopper Plopper.

BOY we hit that just right.
Blasted out from my house at 4:00 AM. Up the gravel to our local , 100 miles away , mussel infested lake, for a little walleye fishing.
Wind was going to rip so both boats stayed at there respective homes. AND it did rip.
Started out slow with a small sauger , but picked up fast and just kept going ...
Caught a bunch of walleyes turned back a bunch too. The goldeye where not bad but we did get quite a few , and a red tail sucker , on a jig by the way.

101_2684_zpsn9cnttdr.jpg

101_2688_zpskmtgkyms.jpg

101_2692_zpsp1uhoxpb.jpg

We kept 4 ,15 to 16 inchers and one that is my personal best at 27"

101_2700_zpsp8hon302.jpg

101_2691_zpsljeadrtr.jpg

We made a trip to the jettys Friday evening. One of baby girls friends had never caught a fish before so we loaded up for a trip. We used dead shrimp for bait and had non-stop action. Mostly trash fish but we had fun. Lots of hard heads, gaftops, croaker and some big black drum. One drum went close to 40pounds. My scale gives more of a guestimate. The main thing is that the kids caught lots of fish.

Back