hardest hitting/max effective distance .223 round

AMace

Just wondering what everyone's experience is hunting coyotes with a .223 Remington in a 24", 1:9 twist Heavy barrel Savage Model 110 Predator Hunter bolt action, topped with a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50(or similar)? I read that some people shooting .223's can reach out as far as 600 yards consistently with practice, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's still lethal enough to cleanly shoot a living animal)

I am reloading, so my options will be good, but I just don't know what I'm looking for.....Should a person go with a light, fast round at long range, or a slower but heavier bullet to get the most "punch", and how far would it still be good enough to kill a coyote quickly?
(I have ZERO personal experience with this caliber, and just because I may find a round that's accurate to 400 yards, doesn't mean it'll kill a coyote that far out)
If anyone could give me info on the "max" range I can expect my new gun to be effective to, I'd appreciate. My skill and glass won't be the main issue at distance, it'll be the gun/cartridge.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
My gun has an very good effective range.............but I have an ethical range. I keep my shots under 200yds.

Long shots are fun to brag about, but when you start to stretch out your shots other variables come into play that you, the shooter can't always control. I owe the animal that much.

Here Kitty Kitty

A light 223 40gr/50gr Vmax @ 500-ish yards will be very similar to a 22Magnum @ 75-100 yards (velocity and energy). Not ideal but it'll work IF you can place the shot correctly.

Which you can't, so forget about it. If you could, you'd already know the answer to your own question because you'd be familiar with ballistic calculators and comparing bullets and laser rangefinders and drop charts.

Let's be realistic... 300 yards and under is plenty far for most folks with a 223 or anything else for that matter.

Me, "the operator" generally sets the max effective range on my rifles. Operator error limits me way more than the actual rifle, cartridge, scope, combo....

I run 55gr v-max. While most of my kills are under 200 yards, I have consistently killed coyotes in the 400 and 500 yard ranges with one at 612, and one at 583. I have killed about half a dozen over 500 yards, and probably 18 or so between 400 and 500, and probably 30 between 300 and 400.

If my memory holds, every one hit was killed. Occasionally a follow up shot was needed due to a poor hit, usually far back. But, every hit in the chest was a one shot kill.

I used to take a 22-250 out if I thought the ranges would be over 300, now I just use the 223. Max range for coyotes with a 223? As far as you can hit them.

I use 2 different loads in different guns. 60gr Hornady and 69gr Sierra. All in 9 twist guns. Shoot them as far as you can see them, but usually inside 500yds. Works like a hammer.

The longer the distance equals the distance of the walk and recovery? I like mine 200 and under if possible. I did shoot one at 400 yards with 53 grain V-Max in my 223. It spun and dropped within 5 yards. Rudy

Not trying to start an argument here, but I'm not sure that many people realize just how far 600 yds is..............let alone hitting an animal that far away, cleanly, with any rifle.

Lets start with the max effective range of a 1:7 twist M16 in 5.56 is 550 yrds. You can shoot and drop a human at that range. M16s are using heavier FMJ bullets and not ideal for killing or hunting.

With the twist rate your using, 60+ to 72 gr bullets most likely won't stabilize or be your most accurate load. with Accuracy key in this matter.

The 53gr Vmax would most likely be the most ideal for making this happen. Based on the twist rate, and BC of the bullet.

They drop less, have a little bit different design which is what gives it a better BC. This or the Match HP.

The max effective range will depend on your bullet choice first. Once you decide on a bullet, research what its effective velocity limits are. Once you establish this you can then develop the load or if already developed run the numbers and see where the maximum distance and minimum velocity numbers meet for proper bullet fragmentation. In my 223 I use the 53 vmax and have no problems with this bullet performing well. Most shots are under 200 yards. Don't get to caught up in long range shots. If you are even a mediocre caller the shots will still be well within easy shooting distance. I sight in 1.7" high at 100 yards which gives me a MPBR of 274 yards with no holdover.

600 yards calling rifle bwahaha! Yesterday I called in a hard charging double that would NOT stop charging. I missed the first one at 15 yards and double tapped the second one at 25 yards. Wished I had my shotgun instead of my AR.

The goal is to call them in to your position.

Back