Benelli Supernova Shooting High?

Flesh Eater

I recently traded for a Supernova, and while the shotgun is nice, it shoots almost a foot high. I'm not a shotgun enthusiast, and really don't like shooting them at all. Its main purpose is in the event a predator comes in far too close for the scope.

So, since my knowledge of shotguns is slim to none, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's probably my cheek weld, but it's never given me issues when shooting rifles. The Supernova came with a shim kit for the stock, but I've never messed with anything like that. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Anyone else ever deal with this? Through a little research it seems to be a common issue, but none of the threads I found really offered a fix.

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, which may be in question since I fit a lot more rifle stocks than I do shotgun stocks...

Use the shim set to drop the comb, which will raise the receiver relative to your eye, bringing your POI down. You'll get a flatter view of the rib.

Practice with it like it is and be glad it doesn't shoot low.
Just practice on some coyote size targets and you might get to really like it. You can change the stock shims, which is a nice feature, because you can change it back later if you change your mind after a while.
I would rather hit a coyote in the top 1/2 of his height rather than the bottom 1/2.

It's an easy fix. I'd rather hit him right where I was aiming instead of guessing at it.

I recently shot at a rodent from roughly 30 yards away. The dirt clearly made a nice pattern behind it, roughly 6" over its head, and I was aiming well below it. I got it, but just barely, as it was a small rodent and kicking and flailing for a short time before dying.

Every time I've shot at an animal, I've missed, because of how high this shoots. I can't just guess where it's going to hit at different yardages. I'd rather put the bead on them at a given distance and know it's going to hit.

I'll install the shim kit and test it out on some problematic rodents when time and rain allows. Thanks for the replies!

A Patterning board will tell you more than shooting at rodents in the dirt.I'm in the learning stages of shotgunning and thats the first thing they told me.

GC and pyscodog got it right. Use the shim which will fit and be the thickest at the top. Then, if you have a club near by that has a trap range they may have a pattern steel. Back up 30-40 yards and shoot the center of the plate. Here is a good place to test your loads also. Many clubs use a "grease" plate or a white wash plate. East to "re-paint" between shots.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolGC and pyscodog got it right. Use the shim which will fit and be the thickest at the top. Then, if you have a club near by that has a trap range they may have a pattern steel. Back up 30-40 yards and shoot the center of the plate. Here is a good place to test your loads also. Many clubs use a "grease" plate or a white wash plate. East to "re-paint" between shots.

Good luck.

I live on 20 acres and have a shooting range, as well as a steel plate. I didn't know how many BB's I'd eat shooting a steel plate, so avoided it. Ha-ha!

I'll pattern it at some point as well. It's just hard to pattern without having a mess of large cardboard lying around.

I would only shoot lead shot loads at a steel plate.

Steel shot and Tungsten alloy shot I don't think would be safe to shoot at a steel plate.

My Bad, as I dont shoot steel or any of that stuff, just lead. It seems to e that every shotgun club I have been to has a plate. But then almost 0 clay target competitive shooters shoot non tox for tournaments.......

I shouldered this shotgun again and really took my time focusing on cheek rest and sight picture. Pretty sure I'm aiming it wrong.

On the 28" barrel there's a center sight as well. I've been aiming this like your typical shotgun; bead on the target. However, I think the center sight is supposed to line up with the top of the front sight, which should bring my shots to POA. Due to the grass growing, I haven't had time to test this theory out, but I have high hopes for it.

Anyone else have tips on how to line up the sights on the 28" barrel? This is the only thing that makes sense with having two posts on a barrel.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdid you ever put the shims in the stock like was suggested by several people?

Not yet, but if lining the middle sight up with the top of the front bead corrects it, then I don't have to re-shim it.

Summer doesn't allow me a lot of time to mess around with guns, so I haven't even messed with it. Too much mowing and rain to deal with lately.

Back