NV set up

I found a good deal on the Armasight Vampire 3x. I thought I would check it out. If it does not workout, I thought I could use it as scanning device. I have read a lot of good things about the Vampire, and curiosity got the best of me. If it does workout, I thought maybe I could use my day scope, with a quick release mount. Then switch to the NV, when it becomes dark.

The Vampire is a good scope considering the price and a tubed scope. It's far ahead of the old ATN Spartan 410 Gen 1 that I had years ago as far as light-gathering. I had a Vampire but returned it for a refund. It's a good scope as I mentioned, but it just didn't suit me personally.

The issue I see with the Vampire as a scanner is that it's big and heavy as a chunk of lead. For scanning you might wish to consider the Armasight Spark monocular that has the same core technology as the Vampire. I have a Spark and like it, considering it's Gen 1 status and price point. On a moonlit night and in the open you won't need an illuminator. It works pretty darn good at closer ranges with an 850nm illuminator. I also have read pretty good reports and seen some good YouTube videos of the digital Bushnell Equinox. Worth a look and consideration anyway.

My friend just ordered the Bushnell Equinox. Bushnell is having 25% of their products, until the first part of June. He end up paying $200, for the 6x50. I can not wait to test it out when he receives it.

If the Vampire does not workout, I will then have a backup sight. Plus it will hold me over until the new Pulsars are available.

Yep, the Vampire is more than capable for reasonable ranges. Use a good 850nm IR focused half way or a little tight and you should be able to see plenty good at 100 yards.

Be sure to give a report about the Equinox once you have tested it.

The owner of the outfitting business that I went pig hunting in Texas just text me. He said he just pick up a Bushnell 4.5x40. He said he really like it, and it is good out to about 175 yards. I will let you know how the 6x50 looks.

The Vampire 3x I order is a factory refurb., by Armasight. The asking price was only $485. I thought I would check it out. If I get it and it's not any good I will return it.

Without knowing for sure, I think the 6x Equinox will be a bit much at close range. Should be fine for longer distances, depending on where a guy hunts.

Good deal on the Vampire. Does it have a warranty?

I absolutely LOVE my vampire especially after coming from a 5x18 X Sight... I hated keeping up with the batteries and the FOV of the digital scope are a deal breaking for me...
I have shot several yotes at 200 yards with my vampire.... I dont think you could stretch it out a whole lot further due to the 3x magnification...

My friend has the 5x18 x sight. It sounds like cool scope, but I was afraid of all the features it had. Plus I read about all the issues, that people are having. I do like the idea of a day/night scope. But I want to keep it simple. I am hoping I can use a quick release on my day scope. Then switch to the vampire as the sun goes down.

Does the IR light that comes with it work well?

The IR light that came with my Vampire works pretty good, but I have a larger 850nm light that will focus pretty tight and seems to have a edge. I think the vampire light is either an 805nm or 810nm if I recall correctly. It is slightly more visible than an 850.

Originally Posted By: slush719Looks like the Aramisght XLR-IR 850, is 1000mw - 850nm. So looks like it should be powerful enough.

What makes you think so?

I understand the difference between IR wave lengths and how they relate to each other but not sure about the mw rating, I have seen lights offered from custom builders at 2000mw but again not sure what that means or how that would compare with a 1000mw light.

I purchased a TR-38 from the UK that has a 2,000 mw pill, and I also purchased a 50mm head / lens for it. I have several illuminators including a T-50 that supposedly has a 1,000 mw pill. It looks identical to the TR lights. For some reason the TR-38 with the 2,000 mw pill works the best of all. It seems to focus better than the others. I figured the 50mm head would give a better view but in my case it didn't. Don't know why. The lights are close in comparison, but the TR-38 with the 2,000 mw pill is the winner by a slight margin.

This makes me wonder if the lens itself is the main reason the TR-38 appears a little better. I'm not convinced at this point that the 2,000 mw pill is superior, but the combination of it and the 38mm head is very good.

Just for information and discussion, Pulsar is coming out with a new forward attach digital NV scope. Time will tell how well it might work or not.

Thanks 6mm06, I am guessing, Ludicrous-Lumens, is where you bought the torch.
Was the shipping from England expensive?

Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted By: slush719Thanks 6mm06, I am guessing, Ludicrous-Lumens, is where you bought the torch.
Was the shipping from England expensive?

Thanks for the tip

That's who I was referring to.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
TR-38 with the 2,000 mw pill is the winner by a slight margin.

This makes me wonder if the lens itself is the main reason the TR-38 appears a little better. I'm not convinced at this point that the 2,000 mw pill is superior, but the combination of it and the 38mm head is very good.

6mm06 it surprises me that the 38 is better than the 50mm from LL, must be the lens.

As for lens size with all components being equal the larger the lens the tighter and brighter the beam will be when fully focused. As components vary the performance varies.

I found this on another site

The LED driver current (usually 1 amp for an oslon) sets how bright the LED is.
The diameter of the lens controls how tight the beam coming out of the torch is.
Larger diameter lenses catch more of the light from the LED and squeeze it into a tighter beam so it illuminates further.
From long range to short range
T74
Doubled T20
Basic T20
The voltage has no effect on brightness as long as your battery has a voltage within what the driver can work with.
Many drivers are 3-6 volt, so use a single 18650
Other drivers are 6-18 volt so can use a 12v battery
connect a 12volt battery to a 3-6 volt driver and it dies instantly
Connect a 18650 to a 6-18 v driver and won't illuminate the LED
The T74 I have came from Ian Sirrel ir.light.build@gmail.com
It has a 3 mode driver running from a single 18650 battery
It's the longest range illuminator I've ever used - eyeshine from bunnies at 500 yards.

I would also look for this emitter and stay away from lights that don't list the LED.

Originally Posted By: UndrcoverrednekThe latest awesomeness is a light with an Oslon SFH 4715AS IR emitter. It's about double the output of the previous generation 4715S emitters. If you can solder at all, you can build your own flashlight with different modes. If you want a dimmer in the tailcap (which could be very useful so you don't wash out your NV picture), HTRN sells just what you need with the T20 Infinity.

IMO the best deal going right now

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Since it is now the off season and I have a little more time to work on projects, I can convert pretty much any T-20 out there to the rheostat tailcap switch for $50 (includes return shipping). This conversion will also include the new Osram 4715AS IR 850nm LED rated at 1,400 millampere (mA) since the 3 mode LEDs will not work with the rheostat switch. If anyone wants one converted just send it to me with your check or cash to:

High Tech Red Neck, Inc
14236 Hillcrest Lane
Rushville, IL 62681

Please also send me an email at hightechredneckinc@gmail.com so I can keep track of what is coming and going.

Thanks, Kevin

And yes those new clip-ons look promising, all the features are nice but will drive up the price.

Last edited:

Slush, yes, Ludicrous Lumens. The shipping was reasonable, I can't remember exactly how much, but it was around $15 or so if I remember correctly. It wasn't so expensive that I wouldn't order.

Pmack, I too am surprised that the 38 appeared brighter than the 50. I switched back and forth a few times and just found that the 38 seemed to have a smoother view and good light. The 50 is good and will focus tighter as you mentioned, but I now use the 38 as a go-to illuminator with the Photon.

Also, I have the 940nm pill for the TR light and it is very good, better than I anticipated when I ordered it.

Here is a video of a test I did in the woods behind my house. I used the Photon and the TR-38 with both 850nm and 940nm pills. If you notice, the 940 pill has a slightly blurred view, not bad but some as compared to the 850 pill. It's not enough to really matter but is noticeable.

Hey guys I'm new to posting but have been lurking for a while. Just a little info on the digisight ultra n230 or n250. I just spoke with Pulsar USA and they said as of right now they have no notice that it will be available over here. I have been researching like crazy for my first NV scope and the n250 sounds awesome for the money. I hope they are wrong and it makes its way before the winter.

I just got my Armasight 3X core Vampire toady. It was considered a Factory Refurbished. The price was $300 off. Everything looks brand new. I fired it up and it works. Waiting until the sun goes down, to give a true assessment. Seems like a very nice sight, just a little heavy at 3.8 pounds with IR illuminator and batteries.

I just kept reading goods things about this sight, and the price was to hard to pass up.
I will now have more of my budget to purchases a Pulsar thermal monocular.

Thank you everyone, for your input.

I ended getting the Armasight Vampire 3x. Seems like a very nice sight. The one thing I noticed is that you must be lined up perfect or the cross hairs washout or disappear. I know it sit a little high, but I need to be centered perfectly .I guess that's good thing, it will ensure that I have the same check weld every time.

I also picked up a new in the box LD19S, for under $1200, that is one cool device. I was surprised how well I good see, It was almost like having night vision.

Looking forward to my next pig hunt.
Thank you guys, for all your help and advice.

Back