Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote

Originally Posted By: BBKI have some experience with the flight control wad (federals version of the wad in these loads) and I can tell you without even picking up a gun that a Full or Xfull will NOT pattern these worth a darn. The wad is designed to do it all on its own and needs NO interference from the choke itself.

Anything tighter than a mod and you are decreasing the effectiveness. Cyl will out pattern mod at most ranges. From the testing I have done with federals, IC is about the middle ground for those wads. IC and a flight control turkey load will produce a tighter pattern than an XF and a regular turkey load.

I wish I had known this a couple weeks ago. I wasted a whole box trying to pattern them.

Originally Posted By: Ky Col

I wish I had known this a couple weeks ago. I wasted a whole box trying to pattern them.

That "Google" bar at the top of your screen that says "official Predator Masters search engine" will answer pretty much any predator hunting question you ask it.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Ky Col

That "Google" bar at the top of your screen that says "official Predator Masters search engine" will answer pretty much any predator hunting question you ask it.

Chupa

But I did use it before I ever bought the shells. I didn't know about the wad and how it worked.

Originally Posted By: BBKI have some experience with the flight control wad (federals version of the wad in these loads) and I can tell you without even picking up a gun that a Full or Xfull will NOT pattern these worth a darn. The wad is designed to do it all on its own and needs NO interference from the choke itself.

Anything tighter than a mod and you are decreasing the effectiveness. Cyl will out pattern mod at most ranges. From the testing I have done with federals, IC is about the middle ground for those wads. IC and a flight control turkey load will produce a tighter pattern than an XF and a regular turkey load.

I patterned some federal turkey loads (with flight control wad) and hornady heavy magnum turkey loads out of my mossberg 500 with stock IC, mod, full, x-full, a carlsons coyote choke, and a primos tightwad (don't have a cyl choke) and I found the exact opposite was true in my gun. Although the mod and IC chokes would definately kill a turkey at 30 yds, not reliable farther. Even then they didn't pattern as well as other turkey loads I tried. It is an older (20 yrs) 500, not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe some extended or other aftermarket chokes would work better. I'm not really planning on trying though, hopefully getting a new super vinci in the spring.

Still gonna get a box or two of the heavy magnum coyote and see if anything changes

Last edited:
I watched Les Johnson's shot gunning coyotes show this past week and he was promoting this load. What I noticed was, he had to shoot a lot of the coyotes multiple times. Some as many as 4 times. Where I hunt it is thick cover and doubtful I will get many chances to shoot a coyote 4 times, neither do I want to have to. I am not sure how much better that #4 buck will kill a coyote but I need one dose to do him in. In my 3" 870, these BBs shoot better with the more open choke and the #4 buck shoot better with a tighter choke. If both shot well with the same choke I could see an advantage to BB on the first shot followed by #4 buck as he is most likely getting further away. Since my gun needs different chokes for these 2 choices, I am going to lean to the heavy side and try the #4 buck. I have yet to shoot a coyote with the shotgun.

Well this is a few years later, but I made a big mistake. I too saw the Les Johnson video's and decided to try the Hornaday shotshells too. I have hunted coyotes with my old Browning 3 shot, and have killed a few with it using No. 4 buckshot. The problem with my Browning is that it will only hold 3 rounds, and it will only shoot 2-3/4" shells. Seeing that Hornaday only makes these shells in 3 inch Magnum, I decided a new shotgun was in order. Regrettably, I bought a new Stoeger M3000 12 gage in 3 Inch magnum. And it will hold 5 rounds. Well this past week I have discovered that the gun will not pattern these shells, or other brands worth a [beeep]. With an improved cylinder choke I can get a nice pattern out of any of them, but it is about the same with all shells I have tried. Eighteen to twenty inches too high. Tried everything and it just won't pattern anything in the middle of what i'm aiming at. If I was to shoot at a coyote with this, I would have to aim at the ground underneath him. The other problem with this gun is that I cannot shoot more than two rounds out of it. It has an incredibly vicious recoil. Even with 2-3/4" shells it hurts like [beeep] to shoot more than three or four rounds out of it. And that is after I put a Simms recoil pad on it. I've shot 338 Winchesters, 375 H&H magnums, 7mm Reimingtons etc. from the shoulder offhand shooting as well as the bench and none of those rifles kicked like this thing does. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm no midget either at 6' 2" and 190 pounds, but I'm not man enough to shoot this damned thing more than a couple of rounds of the 3 inch magnum stuff. It's an inertia recoil gun, and I know they recoil a little harder than a gas gun, but this is ridiculous. So, I don't know if the patterning problem is with the gun or the ammo, but it's going up for sale tonight. I'm going back to my old Browning and the Fiocchi or Estate No. 4 buck.
+

Last edited:
Jim,
That Stoeger doesn't fit you. The point of impact trouble and the sensation of terrible recoil is a sure sign of a fit issue. Does the Stoeger have a shim kit for the stock?

I shot the BB's in my 3" 870 with 5 different chokes from Improved cylinder to xtra-full turkey. I was not pleased with any of the patterns. I went back to #4 buckshot.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI watched Les Johnson's shot gunning coyotes show this past week and he was promoting this load. What I noticed was, he had to shoot a lot of the coyotes multiple times. Some as many as 4 times. Where I hunt it is thick cover and doubtful I will get many chances to shoot a coyote 4 times, neither do I want to have to. I am not sure how much better that #4 buck will kill a coyote but I need one dose to do him in. In my 3" 870, these BBs shoot better with the more open choke and the #4 buck shoot better with a tighter choke. If both shot well with the same choke I could see an advantage to BB on the first shot followed by #4 buck as he is most likely getting further away. Since my gun needs different chokes for these 2 choices, I am going to lean to the heavy side and try the #4 buck. I have yet to shoot a coyote with the shotgun.

I had this experience recently while using these shells on a fox. Fox came in and got lit up by my hunter, but took off. I raised up and sent the shot, and saw what appeared to be a good impact pattern all over the fox but it kept going. I sent another round and that finally put it down after a bunch of flopping around. Not really impressed with it. Probably stick to good old #4. Once in a while I may have to take multiple shots with it but that is usually because I didn't get a decent shot off. Any decently placed shot with #4 has produced a lot of DRT's.

Back