80gr Barnes TTSX

mooretitan

Well it looks like I am going to go with a savage weather warrior left handed 243 for my son unless something happens this week and I decide to do a build instead.

Living in California makes it tough as you all know with cooper. Thinking that a 80gr TTSX might be the way to go for animals. I know it sucks shooting that expensive of a bullet and not great BC but this is my thinking.
1. I am pretty sure that it will take down a deer. I have seen the 80gr bullet on a couple deer that friends shot
2. Being such a tough bullet it should make a small hole in and out of coyotes and bobcats. My only concern is that it might pencil straight through on really light skinned animals. I know I can go to a 62 grain VG but it is going to make a mess of everything.

Anyone shoot coyotes and cats with a 80gg TTSX with minimal pelt damage. I know there are better rounds but this will be his 1st gun and I want him shooting it as much as possible to get use to it.

Thanks

A fiend of mine shot quite a few coyotes with the Barnes 80 gr TTSX bullets and they did less fur damage than any 243 Win bullets that I have seen.

For coyotes I use the Nosler Lead Free Varmint BT 55 gr 243 cal bullets and they do a great job of killing the coyotes but half the time what happens to the fur isn't pretty.

I have never seen a deer that was shot with the 243 cal 80 gr TTSX.

I have seen that 6.5mm, 7mm and 30 cal Barnes TTSX bullets look like they just pencil hole through deer with small exit holes. But when we skinned the deer we could see that way more damage was done than just a small hole through the deer.

That was my buddies experience with the Barnes. He shoots them with a 6 mm Remington and says the deer are DRT. He will not shoot anything else in the 6mm. I am thinking about trying some 130 gr Barnes in my Encore pistol. I've only shot deer with a shotgun with Barnes bullets and have no complaints at all. Friend also said it will go through both shoulders.(Barnes 6mm bullet).

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE a 6mm...
I don't HAVE to shoot all copper but I do use a lot of them in many calibers. OUT STANDING !
243 and 6mm an 80gr Barnes TTSX is death on any deer .
Last one I shot was at 449 yards with my 6mm rem. It was a laying down shot, the deer, killed him on the spot. Bullet went in smashed the shoulder , then a rib, Lung ,heart, lung ,rib and out the opposite shoulder Very dead.

I have had mixed reviews with Barnes bullets. Sometime they hammer the crap out of stuff others I am sure they missed bone and penciled through. I have shot enough pigs to know that its important to hit the shoulder. I have done a couple tracking jobs with good blood that did not result in a dead pig. I am thinking that on a cat or dog it would equally less damage to the fur. I have to played with the 243 in awhile so maybe i will break it out and see.

This left handed thing with my son is putting a damper into things. Would have been really easy to just hand him down some of mine.

I did a little more research and I guess I can get savage 10 BA stealth left handed in 6.5 creed. Really doesn't solve the dog and cat thing but would take care of the elk. Either way going to get something for him by the end of the week and go from there.

Thanks for listening to rambles.

Ive used the 80g ttsx in my 6x45/6x6.8 & .243 and they do the job 100% of the time.
They have punched through every antelope from 125 yards to 337 yards, all behind the shoulder kills, all dropped within 2 steps.

I have used the 80 TTSX for several years shooting coyotes and bobcats. It's been a good bullet that kills well and is consistent. It works as a fur bullet as well.

Back