Fraternal Order of Forster (Bonanza) Co-Ax Owners Unite!

Today I oiled the Bonanza Co-Ax press with gun oil.
After a few rotations the Old Bonanza Co-Ax feels just like a new Forster Co-Ax.
The Gun Oil did a wonderful job, and the spillage does not hurt the appearance, and in fact a cloth to wipe the oil down and the Bonanza takes on a whole new appearance.
It is a good habit to wipe the press before each use, all fine tools work better with a little tender loving care.

I need to get one of those inline fab roller handles. I have an inline fab stand for my co-ax. I made a shorter handle with a 2 inch ball as the original handle was just to long.

Just a little history on the Bonanza press. It was designed by Clarence Purdie (Charles) who also came up with the sliding seater alignment sleeve. He started his business and had an airplane to fly around the country selling his reloading equipment. He got the name of Bonanza from his airplane, a Beechcraft Bonanza. Just happened that years later my brother-in-law purchased the Beechcraft Bonanza plane that Purdie flew in his business.

There are a few InLineFabrication (ILF) items which one may consider.
1. UltraMount - https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax/products/ultramount-for-forster-co-ax
2. Increased Access Side Linkage's - https://inlinefabrication.com/collection...kages-for-co-ax
3. Roller Lever SHORT - https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax/products/forster-co-ax-short-roller-lever
On this last one I have the as advertised one
I also have a 4 Inch and a 2 inch version
The Length of the handle depends on your cartridge loading requirements.
i.e. for 9mm the 2 inch handle is more than adequate for my needs.
4. Quick change system base plate - https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax/products/quick-change-system-base-plate
5. Quick change system top plates - https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax/products/quick-change-system-top-plates
These enhancements to the Forster Co-Ax Press only make the experience better, they are not essential by any means.

There are just so many good things to say about the Original Bonanza/Forster Co-Ax press.
I started out my reloading activity in 1968 with a conventional Lyman press and Lyman Dies, reloading 45 app and 9mm.
After 3 months of frustration I found the Bonanza Co-Ax in early 1969.
I am sure from what I read on the internet other people have not suffered from from the same degree of difficulty, or as I refer to the action, unnecessary manual, finger assistance to assure each cartridge enters the reloading die at every stage.
The improvement in Die Technology as well as the difference with the Bonanza Co-Ax made my life so much easier with regard to reloading.
The the physical ease function/action of the Bonanza Co-Ax makes it extremely simple to process each cartridge through each stage of the reloading process.

For precision ammo the Forster can't be beat!

I plan on adding some stands, lighting and curved linkages when I get time.

Last edited:
I envy your layout, Kino M
I am still in the planning stages for mine.
I am currently using and old Model 19 Teleprinter stand as my reloading station.
The one advantage for me is it is designed to sit at and this works best for me at my age. (75)
The Bonanza / Forster requires so little pressure I do not need to be standing over the press to make it work.
I hope to soon be able to post the pictures of my restoration project.
It is a matter of learning how and working through the process.

Thanks Courierdog! I actually have a brass prep bench to the left of this picture and another bench strictly for maintenance, optics mounting and vices.

Like mine alot. few things I learned trying to solve a problem.
-that little ball bearing should not interfered with the ring - its for some small case pistol designs
-the jaws only hold the case about as tight as a std shell holder. The case indexes off its base like a conv shellholder.
-if you use the shellholder conversion it eliminates about 50% of the free float advantage of the coax

Last edited:
Has anyone switched to the shell holder conversion that uses regular shell holders. I've been thinking of going this route but seems like I would have to readjust all of my dies. The only time I have to change plates is for the 45-70. adjusting my dies would be a royal PIA.

Originally Posted By: RedcloudHas anyone switched to the shell holder conversion that uses regular shell holders. I've been thinking of going this route but seems like I would have to readjust all of my dies. The only time I have to change plates is for the 45-70. adjusting my dies would be a royal PIA.

I think you would be causing yourself a lot of unnecessary trouble (AKA pain in the ar$e) just to make loading one cartridge more convenient.

I mounted my Forster CoAx press onto an Inlinefabrication Ultra Mount and to an old Black & Decker Workmate workbench this past weekend.

Back