Sow Nailed in Backyard

Big dudes tusks are looking pretty good but still too ripe to harvest.

Tusks.JPG

Dang Skypup, that one was huge!
A few weeks ago I slipped in on about 30 pigs behind our new place here in Levy County. I took my bow and although I was hitting good at a target in the yard, I was so torn up, got the jitters when they came right up on me, I shot high. Been out with rifles since, but no hogs. Two ponds that held the hogs have dried up, so not seeing them now. Needing lots of rain. Neighbor has peanut field I will scout out, but the hogs won't go too far from water and there isn't much around now.
You mentioned professionally processed at veterinary school?

Originally Posted By: SkyPupBig dudes tusks are looking pretty good but still too ripe to harvest.

Tusks.JPG

How do you keep your skulls from being taken off from coyotes?

Quote:Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I'm surprised they aren't broken.

Back of his skull is broken with a handloaded 123 grain Hornady SST from my 6.5 Grendel.

Tusks are looking good for the mount though!

Tusks2.JPG

Grendel SBR works fantastic as does the .30 cal Harvestor can, rings steel with authority out 300 yards.

The proof is in the pudding!

Sausage.JPG

Since I was a graduate trained Veterinary Microbiologist/Bacteriologist/Virologist specializing in the Infectious Diseases of Wildlife, I figured I'd mention what to look for when proscessing a swine carcass:

When performing a necropsy on swine visually inspect for obivious sign of condemnation like external pus pockets, tumors, swollen nutz, maggot infestation, bad smells, malnutrition, stress, etc.

When dismembering the carcass examine lungs for petechial hemorrhages indicating pneumonia and/or excessive nematode larval migration of roundworm larvae. Check heart for enlargement or endocarditis. Examine inguinal and mesenteric lymph nodes for enlargement, if any swollen lymph nodes toss the carcass. Examine liver for friability, take a sharp knife and slice liver, it should cut like butter, if it cuts like toast toss it. Same with kidney, slice like butter, should cut smooth not like dragging knife through sandpaper. Intestinal tract should show no signs of inflammation or hemorrhage, if it does toss it.

Majority of wild animals should be in good health as Nature is quite cruel and does not promote sickness, that does NOT mean they cannot harbor and transmit subclinical infections of Tuberculosis, Salmonella, Brucellosis, enteropathogic E.coli or massive amount of roundworms/threadworms, they do, which is why you wear gloves and cook well done.

Got the Grendel dialed in at 200 yard zero and have been blasting hogs left and right on newly planted deer food plots, got these two @ 175 yards last night but three others managed to make it into the thick palmetto underbrush for buzzard bait.

Grendel1.jpg

Grendel2.jpg

Finally got the trophy skull cleaned up that the FLIR T-70s and 6.5mm Grendal and 6.8 SPC took down.

Quite the tusker indeed!

Head1.JPG

Head2.jpg

Grendel gave him quite the headache....

Head3.jpg

A fearsome beast no doubt... It appears that it took more than the customary one behind the ear to slay this behemoth....

His tusks are pretty scary to say the least.

I'd rather not encounter him in a dark alley or anywhere for that matter without a cannon in my paws and enough time for a few well placed shots.

Who said hog hunting is for sissies? LOL

They are built super heavy duty.

Fill the lower black portion up with 40 pounds of gravel and then fill the upper ball with 100 pounds of corn.

Hogs knock it around getting the kernels to dribble out the holes. Holes are reinforced with metal tubes to keep squirrels and coons from messing them up.

Once hogs get on them they stay for an hour or more knocking them around. Deer don't mess with them either.

Saves a lot of corn as 100 pounds last an entire month, compared to my 10 pound corn corn pipes that get emptied out completely in 10-15 minutes, corn lasts longer and hogs stay longer.

Win-Win!

I am sure that the "Hogballs"(www.hogballs.com), are much better than my five(5) gallon bucket with holes and a chain-swivel system(Home Made), hooked to a steel rod. However the Buckets have served me fairly well, but I am sure that I will be getting a "Hogball".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupSince I was a graduate trained Veterinary Microbiologist/Bacteriologist/Virologist specializing in the Infectious Diseases of Wildlife, I figured I'd mention what to look for when proscessing a swine carcass: ----

Would you please comment on how safe it is to eat raccoons? I just ran across this article and am curious if, in your opinion, they're safe to eat.
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/predato...lhxeFRCTEE9PSJ9

I know this thread is about hog hunting but here's where I found your quote and I hope you don't mind. I've eaten coon before and we're overrun with them here and the guys that hunt hogs with pit bulls have thinned them out a bunch.

Back