Leupold, Vortex, or Nightforce

I will be purchasing a new scope in a couple months to go along with a 22-250 I will be using for the coming predator season(s), and I would like to know everyone's opinion on which one of the scopes you would choose. I've narrowed it down to the magnification ranges that best fit my hunting environment, the rest is mostly just brand, quality, and price points.

Here are my selected options:

1. Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x56mm
2. Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50mm
3. Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm
4. Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm

These four scopes are what I have narrowed down my options to, and I would like everyone's opinion on them, experience if you have used any of them, and which one you would go with.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would go with the VX-3i, with preference going to the 4.5-14 over the 6.5-20.

I have a couple of the VX-3is in 3.5-10 and they are really nice. I also have two of the VX-3 LRs in 4.5-14 with the 30mm tube. One is a 50mm the other is a 40mm. My 22-250 wears the 4.5-14x50 and I haven't felt underpowered with that magnification range when cranked to the top end and the side focus is a really nice plus with the 30mm versions. I prefer less magnification on the bottom end for movers and closer shots over higher magnification on the top end. Just depends on your intentions and shot distances, but for hunting I'd definitely go for the 4.5 low end.

Mine also has the varmint hunter reticle which I've became a fan of and have thought of sending a couple of the others off to have them changed to the VH reticle. You may give it a look.

FWIW, I sold all the Vortex scopes I owned and put Leupold's back in their place with zero regrets. I've never owned a Nightforce, but did have a Trijicon that was 5-20x50, and it spent more time on 5x than it ever did up around 15x, much less 20x. Even the Leupolds stay on the bottom end most of the time, I'd take more FOV over magnification in a predator hunting optic any day.

Just my experiences, hope it helps. If you have the opportunity, looking through them and comparing them at a store before purchasing is always helpful, especially if they let you take them outside in natural lighting.

Personally I prefer the NF SHV. but do you really need the 5-20? You may consider the 4-14 SHV instead, 5-20 is A LOT for when the unexpected coyote comes in close. I have 2 SHVs now amd plan to buy a third one soon.
I cant say anything about Leupold, Ive never owned one.

Theres a 4-14 SHV in the classifieds too.

I agree with AdamT. I have a Leupold Mark 4 with Illuminated Reticle 4.5x14 that I really like. Have another 4.5x14 LR But the Crosshair is a little too fine right at dusk or dawn. The glass is very clear and sharp. The NF Lefty talks about is great too. I have a low end Vortex on a 22 mag and it is ok but I don't think you need all the magnification you listed. I own both NF and Leupolds and can say nothing bad about them. Vortex not enough to help you either way. Before I bought them I would go look through them to see which one I liked the best. You said predators so I assume you meant coyotes and not varmints. I still think for Coyotes 4x16 power range is plenty and for varmints too.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootHow much does the rifle weigh? The illuminated NF weighs 30.5 oz. I never had a hunting scope that heavy.

The rifle without a scope weighs 5.9 pounds. The rifle I hunted with last season weighed 13 pounds with a scope, so compared to the rifle I'm using this year it will be lighter with any scope I choose. I also don't like illuminated reticles so any scope I get will be a standard non-illuminated.

I would stay with the smaller variables, with the 4.5-14 being the largest.
Most guys don't use the upper magnifications when hunting.
I own or have used all of the scopes you list.
They will all work.
Just get the one YOU want.

As mentioned above the NF is a lot heavier and beefier but I have heard good things about it. The 4.5-14 is the route I would go. I use a 2.5-15 and it never goes above 6 or 7 power. Also, you don't need a 50 or 56mm objective. A 40mm will give you better resolution and set at a lower magnification will give you the same exit pupil as a larger diameter objective at the max magnification.

For my hunting style I decided to go with Leupold. I have several Leupolds, a couple Vortex, and a few NF NXS scopes, among others. All my calling rigs run the Leupold VX-3 or VX-3i CDS due to weight and the shot distances I setup for. Rarely do I ever shoot beyond 300 yards and most shots are 50-200 yards. IMO there's no need for a heavy, high mag scope with a fancy reticle at those ranges.

Choose a scope for the situations you will face while hunting.

Do you find the VX-R with the firedot just as clear as the VX3i? I am torn between the Trijicon, Meopta or the Leupold for my new hunting rig.

I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.
I would look at the Zeiss 3-15 hd5 on sale up above in sponsor specials or the Leupold vx6 3-18.
Both have very usable low end for predators.

I know it's not on your list but take a look at the Leupold VX6 2-12 it's just over half the weight of the Nightforce has a illuminated reticle and CDS , the glass on my VX6 is very clear

Originally Posted By: tripod3I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.
I would look at the Zeiss 3-15 hd5 on sale up above in sponsor specials or the Leupold vx6 3-18.
Both have very usable low end for predators.

From Leupold website. Actual magnification is 4.9 - 14.4

Back