First coyote

Originally Posted By: Stub2Varminter
I actually thought that I was pretty calm, until I realized that I had jammed my gun so badly. In the process of clearing the jam it hit me that my thinking was messed up some. At my age, anything that can get me excited is something to look forward too, and something to remember afterwards.

LOL, ain't that the [beeep] truth for lots of us!

Great pic & story ! You will always remember your first ! My second came a long time after my first but you are traveling down the right road to successfulness ! Get yourself a colasible light weight tripod at Walmart for $15 bucks, works good on pics, I think it was only about 15" long when collapsed. Congrats ! Will watch for your next too !

Pa Mick
I ve been doing portrait and wedding photography as a side line for over 35 years. When I go about my business I always have atleast 2 of everything. Tripods of every size and discription are in my photo storage room.
I hate to admit it but the day I shot the coyote was the first time I carried a camera with me. I had been working so hard to get a coyote I hadn't give much thought to what I needed after the shot. After the shot I thought it would be great to have a picture, glad I brought a camera with me. But as I started taking pictures, I could see the coyote wasn't posing very well. The pictures I was taking of the coyote just weren't very pleasing to the eye. I almost waited until I got home to include myself in the picture. The problem was that I wanted the location of the hunt in the background. I think that pictures that show someones garage or house in the background leave out part of the story being told.
At any rate when I got home I searched though my equipment and found a piece of gear I hadn't used in years. It is a c clamp with a tripod head attached. It is light, small and easy to attach to a tree. I now carry it along with my small camera on every hunt.
I ve been out and made 4 more stands since I got my coyote, but haven't seen a coyote or needed my photo equipment. It is a challenge to carry what you need without carrying anything you don't. I was into backpacking for years and sorting equipment was a challenge when preparing for every trip. It seems that every trip out to call I have to go over my equipment. Some locations require a shotgun. Some locations require a rifle. Some really need both. In a way it is fun just sorting equipment and planning where to hunt. The fun starts long before I sit down and rest against a tree.

Congrats on your Kill---Come to our hunt { Skip's Predator Day's }this fall in the U.P. ---Bunch of Great Guys --And they'll Tell you a lot of good tips

Last edited:
I am trying to be persistent but try not to make the same mistakes over and over. I have a check list of things that make a good stand stored away in my head. It doesn't seem like any one place that Ive set up has every factor that I think makes a good stand. The place I set up and got my coyote had some factors I didn't like but I had a good feeling about the site.
Looking back, the good feeling I had come from the area being recommended to me by the local CO who hunts deer in the area. He said that if you wound a deer in the area, you cannot wait for him to bed down before tracking it. If you do wait, the coyotes in the area will have ate most of the deer before you find it.
Knowing the area had a good population of coyotes encouraged me to spend a longer time on stand.

Congrats! I stopped calling years ago. (Still Call, but very rarely). I hunt yotes like deer hunters. I sit & wait for them to come to me.

Many people don't have the time or persistence to be a successful coyote killer. If it was easy we wouldn't have room to hunt !
scared.gif

Back