What 6.8spc ammo to buy for brass? Current best mags?

goose_boy

Hey guys, wanting to get my billet 6.8 build finished up pretty soon. I had planned on buying up on the 90gr gold dot federal ammo, but that dried up before I could get it ordered. Then SSA got bought out and screwed that source up. So I know SSA brass was the best. Federal was probably second best, hornady somewhere in there I heard it was possibly soft a couple years ago. So now I'm looking to buy at least a couple hundred rounds of 6.8 ammo for rifle break in but mostly to keep brass. I don't want FMJ since in 200rds it may get used hunting, so a soft point or hollowpoint is preferred. Currently the most cost effective option I see is hornady with 110gr BTHP or 110 Vmax for around 72 cents a round. But is the brass worth it, or should I just buy Federal FMJ rounds 66 cents a round?

Also for you 6.8 guys, seems to be a lot of back and forth and coming soon on mags.... What's the best on the market right now for hand loads and best all around?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help.

I have a bunch of Federal brass that I bought in bulk from a military lot a few years ago. Loved the good older SSA brass but this is my stuff to load 110's and 115's and has done well for me.

They are stamped "FC 6.8MM SPC", indicating 2013 or later Federal brass.

If you want some to try or buy, pm me and let me know.

I can't recommend any 6.8 SPC brass at the moment. I have gotten a couple of bags of Nosler brass, when ordering SSA brass, but I haven't done anything with it, other than weigh a few pieces. It isn't very consistent weight wise. I have a decent supply of old SSA brass, that I am using for accuracy ammo. I sure wish someone would start making quality brass again. IMHO Hornady isn't quality brass. I turned mine into 6mm WOA brass, so when I lose it shooting prairie dogs, I don't cry. For predator/varmint hunting, in my 6.8s, I use Remington brass, so again, I don't cry when it gets lost. I get decent accuracy with Remington brass, and Sierra 90 HPs.

As for quality magazines, for home defense, Barrett is about as good as it gets. For hunting, I prefer PRI 10 rounders. I have some ASC 10 rounders, but they have not been 100% reliable. I gifted my ASC mags, to my oldest son, when I assembled a 6.8 SPC rifle for him, with the disclaimer, that they may not feed reliably. He hasn't had any issues that I am aware of, but at least one of my rifles, had some miss feeds with ASC magazines. Both of my 6.8s, and my 6mm WOA, run reliably with PRI mags.

Squeeze

Good luck on finding good/cheap 6.8 ammo.
I got some gold dot when it was on sale, mostly for the brass.
Put together a low end 6.8 upper to make brass.
But the Hornady brass is a better deal at 0.45 ea, imo, and good enough for me : HDY 6.8 brass
My end use is 6x6.8 wildcat.

So for available loaded ammo that you'd want the keep the brass from, Federal seems to be the best option? Anyone tried S&B brass?

I have used old SSA (mediocre), old hornady (very good) and new hornady (good.)

Now what I do is order about twice as much Hornady as I want, sort them by weight, uniform the primer pocket, and keep the "middle" of them. I give the rest away.

My rifle (6 WOA bolt action) will shoot consecutive 3/8" 5 shot groups with several different bullets, many of these groups are 1/4".

It's not Lapua, but it works if you sort it.

I will add that the hornady brass has a thicker neck wall than at least my old SSA. It could be that the poor accuracy some get comes from the need to neck turn, which lets face it.... who wants to neck turn AR brass??

Hmmmm, actually my old(SSA when it wasn't owned by Nosler), has to be neck turned, when formed into 6mm WOA brass, for my rifle. Hornady does not. I like that for P-Dog loads, where high volume loading can be painful, if one has to neck turn cases. I slowly donate my remaining Hornady brass to WY P-Dog fields. I try to pick it up, but some always seems to hide in the cactus. I hate brass catchers hanging on my gun. I tune the ejector spring, but even then, a few pieces escape the neat piles at 4 o'clock.

I may have gotten a bad batch of Hornady. After my first batch, I didn't purchase any more. I really haven't had luck with Hornady brass, in several different cartridges, so if I want disposable brass, I wait until I find Remington brass. Other than the annoying LR primer, I get as good of results from it, than I do from Hornady, and it is cheaper. I do wish S&B sold new brass, I would like to try that.

Squeeze

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna try some of those S&B rounds, I have also heard the brass is good and they at least load them hot enough to see some of the true potential of the SPC2. Price is right, and they have 110gr HPBT. Thanks guys, hope they shoot!

SSA for brass is all I have ever used. No complaints. SSA was purchased by Nosler so the brass is still available.

As far as magazines I use CPD and PRI. I do have one Barrett mag that came with the rifle but IMO it is too long for anything but offhand shooting. If you buy CP mags make sure they are CP Defense and not just CP. CP mags are junk in my LWRCI.

Last edited:
Back