Big Boar Down

Yesterday my friend came over and we set-up his X-Sight II 3-14 on his 300 Blackout, after sighting it in we headed over to one of my properties that I had some big boy boars on the trail cameras.

We first had a coon sitting there getting fat and we let him pass. Then had a K9 which I believe it was a coyote but looking through thermal it's kind of difficult to tell if it was a domestic or yote. I did try to lip squeak it in so my buddy could try to identify what it was but he couldn't find it in his scope (it was his first time using a night vision scope).

After the dog left, we had a hog come in, which took him a while to get on the target but when he did he let a slug loose and I do believe he hit in the rear leg. In the video you can't hear the hog grunting & squealing but we knew we did hit it.

I didn't get the video of us looking for it but we found him laying down in the other cross section fence about 100 yards so I decided to stalk up on it and when I got closer he started to get up and try to jog away on 3 legs so I let the 6.8 sing one to his neck and he rolled over with his feet pointed to the sky.

After measuring him, we figured he was right around the 220lbs, which would make him my second biggest hog.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hgayj9L0ks&edit=vd

Looks like the first shot was a clear miss. I think that he was hit just before he ran into the woods to the left on one of the last shots.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice size hog.

Were you using the X-Sight or the ATN Thor? What are your thoughts of the X-Sight?

I was using the Thor, the first shot was from my buddy, then I followed up with the 3 additional shots. This is the second time recording the shot isn't synchronized which I haven't really looked into the reason why.

And the X-sight II was nice and clear during the day and when sighting in but when we switched it to night vision it was really grainy and staticy which could be the batteries he was using or just need to play with the settings but he has some Kentli batteries on order.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerLooks like the first shot was a clear miss. I think that he was hit just before he ran into the woods to the left on one of the last shots.

Yeah, you might be right. How the hog turns and the right leg was shattered makes me think he hit it but then when I am shooting at it, I was low and the first shot looks like it could of hit the rear leg, even the last shot too. Because after he went into the brush he was hollering, that's when I said in the video that we got him.

Back