62gr load for .223

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Same bullet and about 26.0 grains of h4895. Work up, as I believe that's over nook max.

x2, but that powder charge is definitely over book max so, as always, start low and work your way up. Watch for pressure signs along the way.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Anyone know what type of power the US Military uses in the M885 bullets? They are 62 grain bullets and in 5.56 mm cal.

Pretty hard to nail down. Commercial ammo is loaded with blended powders to achieve both the pressure and velocity they want.

It would take more time and money to find the pressure curve and velocity they are using than to just find something the your rifle likes.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Anyone know what type of power the US Military uses in the M885 bullets? They are 62 grain bullets and in 5.56 mm cal.

Pretty hard to nail down. Commercial ammo is loaded with blended powders to achieve both the pressure and velocity they want.

It would take more time and money to find the pressure curve and velocity they are using than to just find something the your rifle likes.

^^^^This. You can try and load to a similar velocity, but you will most likely never get the same powders that they run. Just build something that your weapon likes and run it.

62 gr Varmageddon with 23.0 gr of Benchmark in a .223. This produces clover-leaf groups @ 100 yards in my Tikka T3.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Anyone know what type of power the US Military uses in the M885 bullets? They are 62 grain bullets and in 5.56 mm cal.

I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but I've heard H335 is about as close as you can get to the powder they use in M855.

H335 is a substitute for WC-844. I have read it is the same powder. WC-844 is used in the M-193, 55 gr. round.

I believe the M-855 round, with the 62 gr. bullet uses the same powder, WC-844.

Last edited:
I loaded 62 grain Fusions over 26 grains of WC 844. This load averaged 2683fps out of an 18" AR bbl. I can't find accuracy info on this load but think it was right around 1 MOA.

That was wrong. It was 2983 FPS. Rem. 71/2 primers and seated to 2.25"

Last edited:
Back