Guys I'd like some advice becoming a hunting guide.

CrazyKenley

I'm sure you've all had this question come up. The deal is, I'm a veteran, and have been tested in fieldcraft, provide first aid to critical wounds and leadership. I can carry 125 lbs of equipment through mountains, track, read a topo map, and shoot 300m with intermediate accuracy, as well as do that all safely. I also love to hunt, I am in great shape and my attitude is pretty good. I don't think I'm more qualified than anyone other than anyone else, but I'm willing to learn, and I'm working towards gaining a disability check, so I'm not necessarily trying to get rich. I'm currently living in Oklahoma, but that may change, as I've yet to marry or have children. What do I need to do to realize this goal? I feel as if outfitters may really like having me due to my background as a soldier and the skills I gained there.

You could try to get on somewhere as a ranch hand and work your way into guiding for that hunting ranch. There is tons of work to do year round like fixing fence, building and equipment maintenance, predator control, filling feeders, checking cameras etc. Most guides are not just guides but ranch hands as well. Actual guiding is probably only 30 to 40% of the workload in most hunting ranches.

Much appreciated. I've been writing down numbers to outfitters I find with entry level job listings in any state and grilling chicken here wondering where I may well end up. You've done this devil a good service, the community here has yet to fail me.

Originally Posted By: CrazyKenley and I'm working towards gaining a disability check,

just wondering what you meant by this. ^^
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CrazyKenley and I'm working towards gaining a disability check,

just wondering what you meant by this. ^^
unsure.gif

Well, I wasn't going to say anything....
But since somebody else brought it up????

grin.gif

All of this,
Originally Posted By: CrazyKenleyI can carry 125 lbs of equipment through mountains, track, and I am in great shape and my attitude is pretty good. I'm willing to learn
Kind of works against this,
Originally Posted By: CrazyKenleyand I'm working towards gaining a disability check

Unless there's something else I'm missing.

I haven't slept right since the war (legitimately have problems getting to and staying asleep), my right leg goes numb intermittently (I'm no doc but I think my back may be starting to wear down) and I have noticed I get anxiety much more than the average person, sometimes I have to force myself to do things like go to the grocery store because something has tripped a fight or flight response in me. It's not debilitating to the point that my mood is blatantly affected by fits of rage or any crazy Rambo crap you see on tv, but after surviving armed conflict no one is who they used to be. I'm just self aware enough to realize that I don't need to be turboed out 24/7, lace up My boots and grit it out. Well, and my tinnitus is louder than people talking to me sometimes. That being said, I can get financial compensation for it. The disability system used by the VA doesn't always make a person unable to work, they'll pay a percentage and leave the rest to me to earn. I guess it's a fair trade for not being able to understand half of what's said to me and laying awake wondering if that noise was REALLY the cat. As a matter of fact I'm willing to bet that the majority of vets that are business owners start by collecting benefits and using that income to stay afloat while they build their business up.
Most people think it's b's that we get compensated, I usually tell them a recruiter would love to talk to them about it in detail.
So yes, I'm not perfect, but the system is there for guys like me that could use a little extra help, and I'm not ashamed to say that I do.

Now that I've explained that part, now I'll say that I'm not truly happy unless I am or have been outdoors interacting with ma nature as well as being social and being around positive people. I live with a guy and his family who I deployed with, I've got no family of my own left. I've worked as a welder and farm hand, and just couldn't find my sense of purpose doing so. On the same note as a kid I worked with cows and horses, and loved it. The critters were always happy to see me and I was always happy to see them. My father and grandfather raised me to care for such things deeply, as well as being generous in sharing knowledge. When I'm bored and it's nice out, I go tracking and collect shed antlers and turkey feathers rather than play video games and watch tv as I see my generation doing. It suffices to say where there's interest there's aptitude. I've already given most of my time to the pursuit of hunting, and it's come to a point in my life that I need to start finding happiness instead of getting by and doing things that I feel waste my skills.

First off, thanks for your service. PTSD is a real killer. Don't underestimate it.

Secondly, happiness is where we make it. But it's not always that easy to achieve.

Originally Posted By: crapshootFirst off, thanks for your service. PTSD is a real killer. Don't underestimate it.

Secondly, happiness is where we make it. But it's not always that easy to achieve.

Yep!
Good luck on your disability claim, and good luck on a career you'll enjoy!
thumbup1.gif

Good luck on your claim and I hope that you get the compensation you deserve and find a way to lessen the adverse effects of your service. Thanks for your service, and good luck on your guest to be a guide. Seems you have the right mentality to make it work.

Originally Posted By: crapshootFirst off, thanks for your service. PTSD is a real killer. Don't underestimate it.

+1 ^^^

Imho, Every combat mos deserves 50% or better. It still.ticks me off to hear some moron talk about a 60 pound combat pack. Never saw a grunt that had one though, most seemed closer to 90.

Back