boyds classic vs prairie hunter-bench/vm?

ohihunter2014

Getting ready today to place my order for my boyds but torn of which model to get. Prairie hunter or classic. i have a heavy barrel 223 I use for bench and woodchuck hunting. I don't like thumbholes or pro varmint so that's out. as i understand it the prairie hunter is raised for better scope alignment but ive never seemed to have an issue with the current savage stock and scope alignment.

for a varmint and bench gun what would you guys recommend out of the 2 stocks?

Typically, for the kind of work you describe, you want something with a little wider forearm so of those two I'd pick the one with the wider forearm.

Also, I'd spend the money, it doesn't cost that much more, to have their adjustable cheek piece installed. I know you said you, currently, don't have any cheek weld issues but sometimes we don't know, what we don't know. I recently put a Boyds on my CZ 527 204 Ruger, I wanted to go with their adj cheek piece but they didn't offer it on the model stock I wanted but since they claimed it had a raised comb I figured it'd be fine. WRONG! It was NOT fine and I had an adjustable cheek piece installed at my gunsmiths when he was bedding it. Turned out fine but to do all over again, I would have selected a different model stock that I could have gotten with their adj. cheek piece installed at the factory.

Have you looked at Boyd's new AT-ONE stock as a possible option?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Typically, for the kind of work you describe, you want something with a little wider forearm so of those two I'd pick the one with the wider forearm.

Also, I'd spend the money, it doesn't cost that much more, to have their adjustable cheek piece installed. I know you said you, currently, don't have any cheek weld issues but sometimes we don't know, what we don't know. I recently put a Boyds on my CZ 527 204 Ruger, I wanted to go with their adj cheek piece but they didn't offer it on the model stock I wanted but since they claimed it had a raised comb I figured it'd be fine. WRONG! It was NOT fine and I had an adjustable cheek piece installed at my gunsmiths when he was bedding it. Turned out fine but to do all over again, I would have selected a different model stock that I could have gotten with their adj. cheek piece installed at the factory.

Have you looked at Boyd's new AT-ONE stock as a possible option?

What stock did you have the issues with? I looked at the AT stock but not a fan of the look. I wasn't aware they made an adjustable cheek piece so i will look into that.

I wanted a stock without a rollover cheek piece so I went with their Rimfire Hunter model. I like the feel of the stock really well and everything turned out well but even with it, per Boyd's, having a raised comb, it was a little to low and I couldn't get a sufficient cheekweld.

At one time I thought all my rifles had good alignment until I got my first stock with an adj. cheek piece. That's when I realized I was compensating by lifting up a little or a lot, depending on the gun, and didn't even know it. Once you get used to having a good solid cheekweld and everything being aligned perfect is when you realize how much better it can be. It's kinda like getting used to shooting guns with a Jewel trigger, once you get used to how good it can be, it makes a factory trigger feel reallllllly bad. lol

My dad put a Boyd's Pro Varmint with their adj. cheek piece on his little Ruger 77/17 HMR and it made that thing a million times more comfortable to shoot versus the factory stock with it's exceptionally low comb.

Last edited:
Neither one of those stocks come in a varmint contour channel. You may be able to inlet the classic, but you can not inlet the prairie hunter, I tried on one I had.

Originally Posted By: MPFDNeither one of those stocks come in a varmint contour channel. You may be able to inlet the classic, but you can not inlet the prairie hunter, I tried on one I had.

according to boyds.com it says heavy barrel short action. is this different?

These are two Boyd's Prairie Hunter stocks that I set up for my 6.5 CM that has a Styer/Mauser (long action) receiver...I had no problem inletting them for bedding and one is free floated, the other is fully supported..

While the Douglas barrel is not a true Bull Barrel, it's a Tapered Light Varmint contour that drops from 1.0" at the receiver to 0.75" at the muzzle....

The Boyd's Rimfire Hunter I just put on one of my CZ 527's only came inlet for a 527 American so I had to sand and open up the full length of the barrel channel to make my 527 Varmint fit but it was relatively easy and after sanding then test fitting multiple times, it only took me about an hour to make it fit.

I was concerned it'd require a significant amount of sanding to make my Varmint model fit in a stock inlet for the skinnier barreled American model but it wasn't bad at all.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014 Originally Posted By: MPFDNeither one of those stocks come in a varmint contour channel. You may be able to inlet the classic, but you can not inlet the prairie hunter, I tried on one I had.

For what model? The only one I've seem they offer a heavy channel in is the model 11.

Originally Posted By: MPFDOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014 Originally Posted By: MPFDNeither one of those stocks come in a varmint contour channel. You may be able to inlet the classic, but you can not inlet the prairie hunter, I tried on one I had.

For what model? The only one I've seem they offer a heavy channel in is the model 11.

axis II

Back