Wyoming antelope hunt

midwestpredator

I am going to be sending in for a WY non-resident antelope tag with a buddy. I'm looking for insight on which unit would be the best to send in for. North eastern corner of the state would be ideal and a good bit of public land as well. In ND, most landowners have no issues letting people on for antelope but I'm not sure if WY would be the same.

Last edited:
Not sure about that part of the state. I've hunted the south central and east central, primarily on public land or private walk-in areas. I found that if you can locate a large walk-in area, and get 1/2 mile or more from the road, you'll be pretty much free of other hunts. Seems most have no desire to walk that far for a goat. I don't mind...

That's a little further north than what I've hunted, but I bet the same thing applies. If you can't get access to private, check the maps for Hunter Management Areas or Walk-in Areas. If there's enough area to get a ways from the road, you should be good.

Ya I tried the GnF website today and something was wonky as I couldn't get any maps to load fully. I could make out unit outlines and such but the images were blurred so I could not make out any detail. I will try again tomorrow.

We would be fine going up to a mile or 2 from the road if the terrain allows.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorWe would be fine going up to a mile or 2 from the road if the terrain allows.

Based on what I've seen of antelope hunters, both there and here, you'll have the place to yourselves.
smile.gif

Download hunting maps from onx, you'll have all public land of all sorts along with land owner information on your phone. For $100 you get an SD card you can load on your gps. I kept it on my tablet for driving around and the gps for hiking.

Most landowners don't care about goats. There are a billion of them and I general a pain in the [beeep]. But they do care about their cows and anything that will cost them. Still expect to pay a tresspass fee and be a good guy and drop off the landowner tag when youre done. The state pays them a few bucks for each tag. But odds are you'll find something on public land. If you have a young kid hunting, especially his first hunt don't be surprised if you not only get access but a ride in the ranchers truck straight to where he knows goats hang out.

I had free access to a lot of land, ranchor usually charged 700 a gun. At the beginning of the season I'd call them up and let them know what I was driving that year. 10 seconds after you cross a fence the rancher starts getting phone calls from other ranchers that you never see. I still hit public unless I saw something good on his ranch and would stop by after to be for a bit.

For $4 you can get a paper map from blm, but they haven't updated in years. A lot of what the maps show aren't accessible anymore.

Back