Decoying coyotes

Nice pic, again, Jeff.

That freaking gun is as light as a BB gun...just a bit more punch when the switch is pulled!
wink.gif

I haven't been yet. Just got the 20cal put together and plan to get it shot with a couple different bullets on Saturday. Weather and all permitting, I plan to get out over this long weekend coming up!

Got into a mean pair yesterday. Freeper got worked over pretty good a couple times. They were just over a rise and when I got up to move to a different tree they busted me. I only got one kilt.

Sure enough the real deal stand though.

I have had several hot pairs, several luke warm singles. So far no survivors. That wont last all season.
Running several new young dogs. I have a half Jagdt. half Airedale about 40 lbs. I think is going to make an excellent dog. Put her on 50 coyotes during trapping season and half that calling last year and have been running her off and on as a lone dog during denning season. She has been bit a few times and once good. She really like the game and is getting it figured out. I think its time to teach her to go to a howl. Once she has that figured out will fine tune her and she should be good to go.

It sounds like you have been getting into a few, Brent. I got the 204 dialed in and now we have had 3 days of 20 mph winds. It can't last too long.

Just spent 4 days trying to dog a few coyotes. Weakest performance Ive seen in years. Coyotes were softer than Ive ever seen them! Im done till July and August. Im not in this deal to watch coyote butts as the run over the hill.

Originally Posted By: btech29Just spent 4 days trying to dog a few coyotes. Weakest performance Ive seen in years. Coyotes were softer than Ive ever seen them! Im done till July and August. Im not in this deal to watch coyote butts as the run over the hill.

Jeff, I have found things to be much the same out here. What's up with this?

I dont know whats up Craig. Im hearing the same results from all over. Everyone is getting into a few mean ones here and there, but not like usual. I called some triples from right off their dens and they still wouldnt work???? I seen pups running around the size of beagles??? I have no clue what it going on, but I dont like it.

I am not having this issue, killing coyotes regular with the dog's now.Running a single dog like I normally do. Are you guys hunting the same area's you have in years past? What are the ages of the coyotes you are killing? I would suspect you have lowered the age class in a given area that you have regularly hunted. 2 year olds don't respond the same as 3 yr plus age bracket. All the new country I am running with older coyotes has been business as usual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brent ParkerI am not having this issue, killing coyotes regular with the dog's now.Running a single dog like I normally do. Are you guys hunting the same area's you have in years past? What are the ages of the coyotes you are killing? I would suspect you have lowered the age class in a given area that you have regularly hunted. 2 year olds don't respond the same as 3 yr plus age bracket. All the new country I am running with older coyotes has been business as usual.

I tend to agree with that train of thought Brent, but I am actually getting better action on my tried and true spots than on some of my new ground. There seems to be no logic to what I am seeing. Nothing is making sense. Ive always said proximity to the den is key. I called two triples on first time ground that answered back within 300 yards. They came in and turned and ran off just as fast when they seen Spot waddling out to them. Heck, she is the master of bringing them back. I dont get it.

I will add we killed 15 coyotes in the 4 days. We just didnt get the hot and heavy action I wanted.

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: Brent ParkerI am not having this issue, killing coyotes regular with the dog's now.Running a single dog like I normally do. Are you guys hunting the same area's you have in years past? What are the ages of the coyotes you are killing? I would suspect you have lowered the age class in a given area that you have regularly hunted. 2 year olds don't respond the same as 3 yr plus age bracket. All the new country I am running with older coyotes has been business as usual.

I tend to agree with that train of thought Brent, but I am actually getting better action on my tried and true spots than on some of my new ground. There seems to be no logic to what I am seeing. Nothing is making sense. Ive always said proximity to the den is key. I called two triples on first time ground that answered back within 300 yards. They came in and turned and ran off just as fast when they seen Spot waddling out to them. Heck, she is the master of bringing them back. I dont get it.

I will add we killed 15 coyotes in the 4 days. We just didnt get the hot and heavy action I wanted. does this area get any pressure from site hounds?

Thats a good thought Catdog, but not in this particular area. Its too rolling and site hounds lose a coyote too easy. I do have an area in Northern Missouri where they run them with Walker hounds. Not worth a plug nickel for decoying.

Back