How many PA coyote hunters New member

Shootnshoot

I would like to say hi to everyone, I am new to this forum but not to hunting. Would like to see how many PA hunters are around. I am from SW Pa and recently set a rifle up to go after some coyotes and try it out.

I saw your post in the Predator Hunting section, but figured I'd answer here.

Also from PA, hunting mostly 2D. Good luck. These coyotes are like ghosts, and they learn very quickly. This year has been my first season and I've discovered my main issue is not having enough hunting ground. I stick to private land mostly. From what I've been hearing, SW PA is littered with coyotes, especially near the Sewickely area, probably due to a lack of hunting, and the suburbs providing a perfect habitat.

Make sure you get enough ground. There's nothing more frustrating than calling them in, right to a territorial line, and not being able to get across the boundary to make the kill. My new strategy is to acquire access to a few thousand acres in an area before I even start calling, which usually requires talking to at least 10-15 property owners beforehand. Most are more than happy to give you access to their property to hunt coyotes, though.

Welcome to PM. There's a surprising amount of PA hunters here.

Flesh Eater said:

Also from PA, hunting mostly 2D. Good luck. These coyotes are like ghosts, and they learn very quickly. This year has been my first season and I've discovered my main issue is not having enough hunting ground. I stick to private land mostly. From what I've been hearing, SW PA is littered with coyotes, especially near the Sewickely area, probably due to a lack of hunting, and the suburbs providing a perfect habitat.

Make sure you get enough ground. There's nothing more frustrating than calling them in, right to a territorial line, and not being able to get across the boundary to make the kill. My new strategy is to acquire access to a few thousand acres in an area before I even start calling, which usually requires talking to at least 10-15 property owners beforehand. Most are more than happy to give you access to their property to hunt coyotes, though.

Welcome to PM. There's a surprising amount of PA hunters here. [/quote

Thank you for the welcome, I have access to 8000 acres public land 5 minutes from home, most of it is wooded areas but with some nice openings and a lot of coyote sign. I still have to get a call and some other items but I am pretty excited to start and I'm sure I will make some mistakes. I am currently looking to get some permission from a few local farms and properties also. 2D is not far from me I have archery hunted some public land a time or two out that way.

Welcome Shoot, I too enter the woods in search of the elusive eastern coyote. After a year I have to be successful in my search but my time is coming. Ole Wile E. will not outsmart me too much longer.

Originally Posted By: Shootnshoot
Flesh Eater said:

Welcome to PM. There's a surprising amount of PA hunters here. [/quote

Thank you for the welcome, I have access to 8000 acres public land 5 minutes from home, most of it is wooded areas but with some nice openings and a lot of coyote sign. I still have to get a call and some other items but I am pretty excited to start and I'm sure I will make some mistakes. I am currently looking to get some permission from a few local farms and properties also. 2D is not far from me I have archery hunted some public land a time or two out that way.

I have almost no time during the day to hunt, so it's all night hunting for me. I stick to wide open fields (I know how some members feel about this), and even more so after having a long phone conversation with a very helpful and successful PA hunter. So, I basically drive around and look for wide open farms with nice layouts and call or stop and ask for permission. I've discovered areas around towns have quite the coyote population.

I will be going late evening into the night and some mornings on weekends time permitting, I just want to get out there after I get the rest of the equipment I need. I know they are in the area and it's going to be a big learning experience.

Welcome aboard!!

This forum is a wealth of info.

I hunt mostly 4D.

There is a lot to learn so if I can assist in any way please feel free to call me at (814) 364-9660

Joe

I'm in Carbon county, not much of a coyote hunter but joined due to the vast amount of information on the site. When I first moved to my current residence there were coyotes howling back on a ridge behind my house whenever fire sirens went off, seen a few back on the same ridge while hunting or looking for indian relics, one of them was coal black. They were in my yard, and I did manage to get one after it had killed a fawn in my neighbors yard and probably my outside cat. Now that I have everything I need to get them 24/7, I'm not seeing them like I used to. I fish a local lake, and numerous times have heard them at night and seen tracks in the snow along the shore when we ice fish, even saw 2 run across the ice one morning. I have a buddy that occasionally goes for coyotes, but has never got one, I need to team up with him, at least we would be getting out after them and might even manage to get one if we're lucky!
HA, had a plan for this past winter, set the caller up out on the ice just off the edge of the mountain where I see the tracks, then lay prone on the ice in white garb and see what happens, of course there was NO ICE!

I'm in Lycoming County welcome to forum good info. on here. Joe of NightEyes is a great guy to talk with along with others.

Calling Joe will put you ahead in the game sooner, rather than later. He confirmed some things I was hesitant about, and offered some great info about night hunting in Pennsylvania.

What's really tough about Pa is hanging in there mentally. The internet is full of guys downing 30, 60, 100 coyotes a year. I have yet to meet anyone dropping those numbers in Pa without the use of dogs, and even then our local dog runners are only downing 20 a year. I did hear of a southern Pa dog runner downing 80 this year, but that sounds like an exception. So, if you get 1-5 this year, feel good about it. If there are guys calling in and dropping more than 20 in Pa a year, it'd be great to hear from them!

I will need advice for sure, thank you for the welcome to the forum everyone. I will be shooting my rifle in tomorrow and hopefully by end of next week I will be out scouting some places.

Welcome....5c&5D here....we do pretty good down here...coyotes in our area are pretty tough..and in family groups in smaller properties 100 to 400 acres...most guys here don't hunt them during the late spring summertime...unless the farmers are having trouble..otherwise they leave the coyotes bring up their litters.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! You will find a wealth of knowledge here ! Be sure & share your hunting stories & pics.
Wiley is a very challenging opponent, they will humble you I promise!

A word to the wise NEVER SHOOT EYES !!! You will be surprised how many different creatures will come to the call.

Hello everyone,

So I guess this is where us PA hunters check in with our coyote hunting endeavors. I've dabbled in coyote hunting a bit over the past couple years after they showed up in the area of our cabin. So far we haven't gotten any but we have come close a few times. Two years ago during archery season a pack moved onto our property and started howling at 4 in the afternoon, my dad shot at one with a bow at dark but clipped a tree right in front of it. So we decide to go hunt them, we had a call and a light but not much of an idea what we were doing.

I will admit it was surreal sneaking through the woods with the pack howling off to one side. When we got set up and let out a howl the big male answered and it rang through the woods. He was howling and barking but we never got him into the clearing before he took off with the rest of the pack.

Now I've got some more calls, practiced my howls and got my AR all set up so I'm ready for the next time we hear them. If we don't get a couple deer for the evening hunt I will probably head out and give it a try tonight.

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater If there are guys calling in and dropping more than 20 in Pa a year, it'd be great to hear from them!

I called 17 in this year since July for 3 friends and myself..
All during the day time and all was on public land except for one of the doubles and all in the woods..Out of 17 we put 6 in the bed of the truck..

Only one pup out of 6..He was a tad over 22lbs
Then a 28.4 female and the rest was 32lbs+ Largest male 36.6 and largest female 34.8..
Me putting 5 of them down alone and had one runner.. Bad shot on my part..

called in a group of 5. A triple and 2 double and the rest was singles ..

These was with rifles no shotguns.. And if my friends could shoot better and used shotguns could of almost doubled the kills.. But I want to play with my new builds and I like my friends even if they cant shoot well.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater If there are guys calling in and dropping more than 20 in Pa a year, it'd be great to hear from them!

All during the day time and all was on public land except for one of the doubles and all in the woods..Out of 17 we put 6 in the bed of the truck..

Then a 28.4 female and the rest was 32lbs+ Largest male 36.6 and largest female 34.8..

These was with rifles no shotguns.. And if my friends could shoot better and used shotguns could of almost doubled the kills.. But I want to play with my new builds and I like my friends even if they cant shoot well.. Dan

Originally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater If there are guys calling in and dropping more than 20 in Pa a year, it'd be great to hear from them!

You know what? Ever since buying a FoxPro and starting to incorporate that into my stands I've had a lot more action in western PA. It's amazing the responses and call-ins I've experienced in the past few months using the FoxPro. I've missed two coyotes, but called 4-5 in (sometimes didn't get a shot), and have numerous answers when locating with it. It's a game changer, and money well spent. It'll be interesting to see if it helps this winter.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater If there are guys calling in and dropping more than 20 in Pa a year, it'd be great to hear from them!

You know what? Ever since buying a FoxPro and starting to incorporate that into my stands I've had a lot more action in western PA. It's amazing the responses and call-ins I've experienced in the past few months using the FoxPro. I've missed two coyotes, but called 4-5 in (sometimes didn't get a shot), and have numerous answers when locating with it. It's a game changer, and money well spent. It'll be interesting to see if it helps this winter.

This is a really great year so far for coyotes here in PA for me.. Its like the population just erupted.. I believe also it has to do with FoxPro caller.. My WT never produced this many coyotes in a whole year and this is the 4rth month of using the FP... Dan

Flesh Eater I would not be trying to locate coyotes with howls seems they get on to this trick. Would not play them till I was ready to shoot. JMO. I have not heard them howl at sirens for years, even though they are close by.

That's interesting old cat now that you mentioned it.
I live between two fire companies, when I first moved here and the sirens would go off I would hear coyotes howling back on the ridge behind me. Now for quite a few years I hear nothing back there when those sirens go off.
Either there's no more coyotes back there, which I doubt, or they are in a different area where I can't hear them, or they stopped howling when the sirens go off. ??????

Back