.17 REMINGTON AR BUILD

BCD 45

I've been wanting a 17 Remington awhile now & can't find a bolt gun I like so I thought about building one in a AR platform. Anybody got one, shooting one? Any problems with this caliber in a AR? I don't care if it's medium/heavy so what barrel length & twist rate? Where would you get a barrel? Thanks for any comments or help.

Jim D

I was in the same boat. Due to brass availability I went with a 17-223 no neck turn. I also didn't want to choke the round out from a short barrel but I didn't want long either so a 22in was just right. 4050fps with 25gr hornady.

I went with bhw, long story short it was ordered as a 9 twist which they didn't even have at the time and it came as a 10 twist. Since then they did start making 9 twist so it got sent back for a 9. I've always wanted the option to shoot 30gr bullets

I have a 22" 17-223. It was a tack driver, now it's not. 1500 rounds I'm guessing. Very very fun round. Definitely get a 9 twist as mine was a 10 and wouldn't shoot 25 vmax.

I built one 9-10 years ago,Shilen 24" unfluted, model 1 upper,Stag lower,skeleton stock with Timmney trigger. It is a 1/10 twist, 25 vmax and other heavier or longer bullets not so good. The short 25 gr and lighter bullets it will stack holes. With a Leupold v3 3.5x10x40 it weighs 11.3# loaded(5round mag). Mainly been shooting red Fox, I picked up a box of 25 gr WCD and some old Berger match target going to shoot a few coyote next winter to see how they work. I know I can shoot these at 4100.

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftyWhat powder for the 17 Rem. & what powder for the 17-223? How many sizing steps to get to 17-223?

jd

I just used starting loads for 17 rem in my 17-223 and worked up to max.

2 steps to size down works better than one. I pull the decapping/expander ball stem from my 223 die for the first step down and then run them in my 17-223 fl die and they are done.

I have an 18in .17 rem AR-15. As for brass, I either buy unprimed brass or I buy factory loads and reload off of them. My personal favorite bullet is the 25gr Hornady HP. Seems to be the most fur friendly. Overall it is a very good platform especially for fur harvesting.

The worst issue that I have had is getting stuck cases during reloading. I have used x-terminator powder with a lot of success.

IMG_0308 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I found that 17Rem 25 HP from a 24" barrel was awesome on coyotes but tore up a lot of grey foxes. I'm sure the slower velocity of an 18" barrel helps save fox fur, especially with a slower load vs a hot load.

17Rem is popular for Australian foxes but their foxes look a bit larger than ours based on what I've seen.

Our Red Fox are a bit larger then southern grey Fox,I have shot hundreds with the Berger 25 gr varmint. Very rare to have an exit on shots inside 200 yards, saves a lot of time not sewing hides. Shoot a Fox in the ribs 17 cal entrance and a big bruising down the ribcage like you whacked it with a bat and no exit. I run them 3900+ out of the 1/10 twist. I have shot a large number of raccoon with the same bullet,they flop on their back and the legs flail about but no blood or fur damage.

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftySnowman, why stuck cases so bad? Is it worse than anything else?

What barrel & twist do you prefer?

Jim D

Just have to make sure you lube the cases AND sizing die well before resizing. The neck is so small.

It is a 1:10 twist rate

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeJason, what FPS are you running ?
There seems to be a sweet spot for 17 Rem and saving fox fur.

They run right around 3900 with handloads and 4200 factory Remington ammunition with the 25gr Hornady HP's.

I have a 20" 17 Rem AR15. Lother Walther barrel. It loves the 25gr Hornady HP and the Berger 25 gr match if you can get them. One very accurate rifle, Have taken coyotes and bobcats no problem.

Back