DTech 22 Nosler and other toys

venatic

Just received a 22 Nosler from Mike (DTech) and while I really have not gotten to wring it out yet it sure look nice with his new Hand Guard.

Also got to play with the new Sig Kilo2400 RF with AB.

I only had a few rounds and the couple of groups I shot at 100 were .5 MOA for the 69gr Sierra MKT and just under .75 for the 75gr AMax. These were loads I had on hand that I had played with in another 22 Nosler upper and they were hovering around 1 inch give or take. I put that upper up for adaption and its now in a good home.
As soon as I got some velocity checks and shot one group with each load I just shot some longer range steel as I wanted to tinker with the rangefinder too.
The rifle has a 20 inch 1/8 twist Shilen that Mike is famous for and speeds with the 69gr and the 75gr were 2900 and 2980 respectively. The 69gr load was 28gr of varget and shot tightest groups out of both of the 22 Nolser's so far.
The 75gr load looks promising as that bullet weight running in the 3000fps range is what makes the 22 Nosler intriguing to me.
I was also running a powder I have not seen mentioned for the 22 Nosler ..... Alliant 2000MR.

Couple more pictures of results. This is the chrono reading from the 28gr 69gr Sierra load

The brass looks fine. Remember 20 inch barrel.

That's not too bad at all but I get 3155 out of the Sierra 69 TMK in my 223/5.56 and brass is laying around everywhere at no cost to me. The fake news is this is something new and improved again by Nosler to sell more of the same old same old.
smile.gif
Great marketing to get some new sales with nothing new really to add except cost to the customer. I wish I had thought of it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat's not too bad at all but I get 3155 out of the Sierra 69 TMK in my 223/5.56 and brass is laying around everywhere at no cost to me. The fake news is this is something new and improved again by Nosler to sell more of the same old same old.
smile.gif
Great marketing to get some new sales with nothing new really to add except cost to the customer. I wish I had thought of it.
smile.gif

And what length is your barrel?
I get around 3100 with a compressed load of varget in my 24" Stag witg 60 v max.

Last edited:
Imo, with my 22 Nosler pushing the 55 bt's an average of mid to high 3500's out of a 22" AR it is the greatest thing since sliced bread in a factory round. Its the same speed as my 24" swift with 36 grains of varget and the same 55 grain bt's. It has made my 22 250 and swift bolt guns obsolete as far as a coyote calling goes. Dont get me wrong I like my bolt actions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat's not too bad at all but I get 3155 out of the Sierra 69 TMK in my 223/5.56

3150 out of a 69 grain SMK in a 30" barrel? You should go to work for Sierra cause they can only manage to squeeze out 2900 fps...

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat's not too bad at all but I get 3155 out of the Sierra 69 TMK in my 223/5.56 and brass is laying around everywhere at no cost to me. The fake news is this is something new and improved again by Nosler to sell more of the same old same old.
smile.gif
smile.gif

3155fps from a 20 inch barrel? I get 175fps less with the 69gr from my National Match 20 inch barrel rifle with a pretty stout load.
The fact that the 22 Nosler has 2-3gr More case capacity than the 223 AI ( 5+ grains more than the standard .223)along with the fact that I can now load 75gr AMax to magazine length without using all that case capacity up with the bullet makes
it a cartridge worth looking at.
I really don't have plans to use it with the lighter bullets although it should give a little boost there as well but I would look at a longer barrel if that was my goal.Speaking of longer barrels...about 5 years ago I did shoot a few Hogs with a 22 DTi which is really similar (about 1 gr less capacity) but it had a 1/12 twist made by Mike for himself for the prairie dog wars but I got to play with it for a month. I found a load with 60gr Bergers that shot great and I spent a few days chasing pigs around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPFDOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat's not too bad at all but I get 3155 out of the Sierra 69 TMK in my 223/5.56

3150 out of a 69 grain SMK in a 30" barrel? You should go to work for Sierra cause they can only manage to squeeze out 2900 fps...

It's really not that hard. It's a 69 TMK.

I am running a premium barrel that is 24 inches long sold by a sponsor here.
I run this max load and get 100 FPS more with my barrel.
smile.gif

So if I cut 4 inches off my barrel and lost 150 FPS or even 200 FPS Its still doing the same thing. That is my point.

69%20TMK_zpscntfgnpm.jpg

That shows them using a 1-12 twist barrel... It may have come out over 3k.. But it will hit the target sideways...

Originally Posted By: MPFDThat shows them using a 1-12 twist barrel... It may have come out over 3k.. But it will hit the target sideways...

I run a 9 twist. That is the data I used to work up the load.
smile.gif
Anything else?

I also have a 20 inch 9 twist that i have not ran these in. If its not raining cats and dogs this weekend I will run some through it with the crony also.

Fwiw I ran some 60 v maxes over 29 varget out of my 22 nosler last weekend. Grouped good and average was right at 3250 with only 2 rounds out of 10 showing a very light swipe way out on the edge.
Woa is also now moving tbe gas system about 2 inches forward of rifle length on some of their barrels. I know they did on the 22" and longer anyway. Mine was one of the 1st and it is rifle length. I need to call them about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: MPFDThat shows them using a 1-12 twist barrel... It may have come out over 3k.. But it will hit the target sideways...

I run a 9 twist. That is the data I used to work up the load.
smile.gif
Anything else?

I also have a 20 inch 9 twist that i have not ran these in. If its not raining cats and dogs this weekend I will run some through it with the crony also.

So I got home early and I got out the 20 inch 5.56 BHW and it is a 1 in 8 twist not a 9 like the other. The first shot was 3066. with the other 4 it averaged out at 3059. Not to bad for a 5.56 in a 20 inch barrel shooting 69 TMK's.
smile.gif
My point again was Nosler with another cartridge saying they have greatest thing since sliced bread. Another marketing strategy to gain market share is all it is. The right 5.56 does the job just fine.
smile.gif
With that said I am glad they and others are looking to improve things, wish I had thought of it myself.
smile.gif

20%20inch_zps8vdifmun.jpg

IMG_0434_zpstbfdakci.jpg

Idk 55's breaking 3600 accurately in an AR platform is pretty impressive. I will probably not hunt with a 223 again by choice anytime soon.

Last edited:
That is more believable. That other 100 fps was kinda lofty. In my experience a BHW barrel will give more speed than most other brands due to the Poly rifling.

Originally Posted By: MPFDThat is more believable. That other 100 fps was kinda lofty. In my experience a BHW barrel will give more speed than most other brands due to the Poly rifling.

Your helping me make my point. Nothing Lofty about it at all, my 5.56 20 inch does better and I get another 100 in the longer 24 inch barrel, easy peasy.
smile.gif
Oh and with brass most throw away, same dies been using for years.
A couple guys here been running BHW barrels in 22X6.8 shooting 50's at 3750 for couple years for p dogs and yotes.
Nosler has been trying to bait everyone into their marketing scheme last few years with their "new" but really same old stuff to make a buck.
smile.gif
Of course that is what it is all about. Sorry for the thread high jack.

Back