Sunday Revelation

daddyflea

Went hunting this Sunday afternoon and only saw 4 Hogs. Got no shots but the revelation was finding 3 other Hogs killed on previous hunts. These were all big hogs that were all around 250 or bigger. All were shot in the shoulder from a distance and all the shots were right where I aimed. All ran right at 100 yds before dying and I looked real good for all of them. I recovered none of them.

Shoulder shots are now out of the question. If I have to take a shot other than behind the Ear it will be high in the Middle of the Back Spine shot. I figure I lost Three Hundred dollars on these unrecovered Hogs. I am using a 308 with 168 gr Amax. 100 yds in the Brush may as well be 100 miles.

You might have better success with a different bullet if you like to shoot in the shoulder. Sure, you will find lots of people who have killed this or that with a Amax, but it is traditionally a match target bullet and generally not a good bullet for larger game. There are probably better Hornady bullets for hunting... Hornady SST or ELD-X hunter. Barnes TTSX maybe? I've pretty much switched to Barnes for hogs. Everybody has their favorite.

Additionally, I had a not so good experience with 220G Amax 300 BLK subsonic. Just punched holes through and through and the hogs ran off and died unless I hit something very vital. Super quiet and even had hogs come back after shooting but had maybe a 50/50 recovery rate. I'm done with subsonic 300 BLK and will only consider it in .458 SOCOM 500g Maker or Outlaw State expanding subsonic bullets.

My favorite place to shot is just in front of the shoulder, mid-height, right along the cervical spine and ammo doesn't seem to matter.

Quote:y favorite place to shot is just in front of the shoulder

Shot one there yesterday with the .223 and it went 10 yards.

On the 308 I prefer the 110gr Sierra HP Varmint with Benchmark. I shoot straight lung shots and very few are able to stand back up let alone run off.

Back