max power for "hunting" .223 rifle ???

bachekermooni

Looking to put a scope on my "hunting" 223 - Mostly Coyotes and smaller hogs. Trying to keep it as lite as possible since Kimber Montana or Howa 1500 mini will be the rifle.

Whst should the practical max power of such a scope be? 8x, 9x, 10x? I want a lite scope. If you have a scope you like, please tell me.

No caliber suitability discussion / comments - please.

My preference in order, 1.5-6x40, 2.5-10x40, 2-7x35 and 3-9x40. If you would have said PD's and GS it would have been much different. Your talking big targets and shorter ranges so I would put a plus on FOV over X's..

Sightron II 1.5-6x40

Burris Sig Sellect 1.5-6x40

Elite 4200 2.5-10x40

Everyone has different opinions on what's too much or not enough. I'm new at this sport, but I quickly realized 3x on the low end wasn't low enough. I'd recommend you start low as you can on the mag range and go as high as your budget allows... here's some ones to consider:

Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 - huge FOV and mag range, Vortex Razor quality glass in a lighter-weight package, and more affordable. Not much to not like there. Watch eBay or other places for good deals on used.

Or you could look at this very reasonably priced used Nikon Monarch 1.5-6x42 over in the Classifieds for $275. Heck! I've thought about buying it as a spare just because I think it's a great deal and I think Nikon offers a ton of value, especially in the glass quality department.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Leupold UltraLight 3-9X33 VX-2...put it in Talley LW rings and you're set up well.

This or the VX-3 2.58x36 would be my choice. I shot a lot of coyotes and prairie dogs with my relatively lightweight CZ527 in .223 using a regular ol' Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40.

2.5-10 is my favorite. Ive used it on 10x out to 750 yards and didnt feel it to be not enough for the target size i was shooting at. I like the 2.5 for up close stuff be still be enough for 100-200 yard quick shots without having to zoom in.

I have a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 on my 223ai it's maybe a little more scope than I really need on that particular rifle but I got a really good deal on it so that's what it wears. I just put a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 on my CZ 527 204R and for the money I think it'll be a pretty decent piece. Definitely going to take a little time getting used to the FFP though.

For an all around somewhat cost effective scope I don't think you can ever go wrong with the Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40AO. I much prefer a side focus for convenience but side focus scopes typically cost a little more too.

I would go with a vx2 3x9x40 with a CDS turret. Light weight, clear and good CS. Cant go wrong with 2.5x10 either.

My Model 7 Predator 223 wears a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with a German 4 reticle in Talley LWs. It's about my favorite setup for predators. The scope is light, has a sharp clear image, and that reticle really helps pick up the target. The 2.5-8 mentioned above would also be good. Less magnification is more FOV which is a good thing.

I have been using Steiner 2.5-10X42mm, and I am happy. there are many others that show great power in an uncomfortable low light condition. One thing I know in optics is that individual eyesight is a great priority as many people don't even consider it before complaining about how Mr. A used it and it works and then Mr. B used the same scope and [beeep] no: It didn't work for him good. Hope you guys will agree with me on this? Every suggestion is welcomed.

http://perfectriflescope.com/the-best-steiner-rifle-scopes-reviews/

I use to over scope rifles, big is better!! Well, I found that to be not true unless your on a dog town or punching paper. Most of my hunting rifles are 3x9, 4x12. My Uberti has a 2x7 on it. With the Leupold 2x7, I can see bullet holes at 100yds. Plenty good enough to whack deer and pigs. At far as brand, I like Nikons really well.

I personally like having the lowest power of 4, and then whatever the max is that you can get with that within your budget.

I would gladly take a scope that is 4-25, but that isn't realistic.

My 223 has a 4-12. I like that personally since 4 is low enough that if i am looking at anything from 50 to 100 it's great. inside 50 i am using a shotgun anyways.
The bennefit for me is that when i do load development, i like having more zoom than 9. it's just personal preference. I like to strap down the rifle in a sled and zoom in as much as i can, and then do the grouping shots.
When hunting, I hardly ever zoom in for a shot past 10, but when someone is out there barking in the distance 12 is kind of nice to watch the coyote out there barking at me and play the sounds and watch their reactions to try and entice them into coming in.

Good luck, picking a scope when you don't have a line that you have to stick with, with so many options is tough..
I personally prefer the bullet drop reticle, and vortex scopes.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Leupold UltraLight 3-9X33 VX-2...put it in Talley LW rings and you're set up well.

This or the VX-3 2.58x36 would be my choice. I shot a lot of coyotes and prairie dogs with my relatively lightweight CZ527 in .223 using a regular ol' Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40.

My 223 coyote rifle has had a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on it now for roughly the past 14 years and I have had no reason to change it. Any of the above are also good choices.

Last edited:
Many choices listed and all are fairly close. My little Ruger American wears a 2x12 Leupold. It is light and compact, and works perfectly for someone who's eyes aren't 20 years old anymore.

Back