Thunderchicken down

weekender

About 1:00 today I got an answer from my slate pot. He sounded reasonably close and my heart kicked up a beat or two when the next call was cut off sharp and he sounded closer. I waited a couple minutes and let her rip again, this time a triple gobble come back. I got a glimpse about 60 yds out then he went behind a mound and the next time I saw him he was in range about 40 yds. The rest is history. 19 1/4 lbs, 10 1/2" beard and 1 3/8" hooks.

Last edited:
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWas this a shotgun or bow kill? And congrats!

Shotgun on this one. I have killed two with the bow but currently having issues with a torn labrum in my shoulder that keeps me from practicing as much as I would like for turkey accuracy.

I'm done in NC. This fell for the same slate pot. Came in strutting dragging 4 hens along. 20.8 lbs (my first 20+ bird ever in NC) 9" beard 1" spurs.

Last edited:
Good job on two nice birds. Great spurs on that first one. I'd take either one any day. The weather has really cooperated for the spring season here in SW Va so far. Called one in for a partner 3rd day of season. Had a bunch of responses too but only the one kill so far. Been finding some day land fish as well. Can't beat that. Again, congrats on those birds.

Back