AZ locations for coyote in the Far East Valley

IvanR87

I've been creeping in this forum for months trying to find some info on coyote hunting. I am very new to predator hunting and have found lots of helpful tips on here, but I cannot find anything on hunting the east valley. I live in queen creek and have been out to florence and gold canyon with very little success, any help would be appreciated! Also I am looking for a partner to go calling. TIA

Here's a couple of pictures from just south of Florence. Like Fling- a- arrow stated, hunt the washes. I've been staying in the thick stuff with a shotgun. I also usually hunt during the week to avoid the weekend warriors out there.
photo-5_zps9386fb43.jpg
[/URL]
This one was way toooooooo close for comfort! It was sunning itself on the side of a ravine where we walked out. My partner passed before it decided to turn on the buzz alarm. 8 years of hunting out here and this was the first one I've run into............time to get some snake boots.
IMG951513_zps63026fa6.jpg
[/URL]

Good luck, hope this helps

Kevin

I don't like to sugar coat it.. don't take offense either.. If you show up, no one know's you and you ask them where they go to hunt and be successful..

Well I laugh and roll my eyes. I am not going to tell you where to go, I am not going to tell you where i am successful, since I will also know that I will then not be able to go there again and I might as well take that spot off the list.

There are more hunters in that area then you think. most of the places around that part of town, where you can fire off a gun, have been called, called and called again. If you are going to be successful you are going to have to learn, read, practice, and get better than the guy that shows up plops down and blows a call for 8 minutes and leaves.
Washes, and the other suggestions are what you should look for. It was good advice..

But you need to put yourself in the shoes of the people you are asking. You want them to tell you where to go and what to do to be successful. You should know that it's just not that simple, it's hard work, it's a lot of learning and no matter what you do, no matter how good you get, there are going to be days when it's not going to work and you won't see anything. If that doesn't sound good, this may be the wrong deal. But, if you learn and really take it in, calling in that predator and being successful is the greatest reward.
I drive about 15000 miles a season, and cover more than half the state. I sleep in the back of my truck in January when it's single digits and sometimes less, chasing coyotes, bobcats, and Fox. It's worth it to me, my friends think I am nuts, but I look forward to the very next time I can go.

To that end, i don't mind taking new people out occassionally (usually one or two a year)
I will not take someone that hasn't been out trying stands and really put in the effort and still loves it. Taking someone that hasn't done this is a waste of my time, since they are only going to come back to the same spot i took them, usually over and over, and won't be successful and just end of quiting anyways. You can ask questions, people here will give you answers, but until you get out there and try and fail/ succeed most of the advice won't make sense until then anyways.

I wish you the best of luck, I hope you end up loving it..

My advice is that as a new guy, get away from the roads, call the animals that haven't been called, and learn how they live, where they go, and where they travel.

TBone I totally understand, I'm not asking for exact stands just areas that people know have coyotes. I joined this forum for all the tips and different ideas on how to hunt predators. I have been big game hunting my whole life so I understand and respect what it is to work for your hunt and know what it's like to go home empty handed after days of hunting. I appreciate you replying to my thread with the helpful info you have, and again I respect what you said and have no intention of stealing people's spots.. I will continue to put in my hours of scouting and hunting until I can be a seasoned hunter like you. Thanks again and maybe one day I'll be able to tag along with you!!

Originally Posted By: IvanR87 I live in queen creek and have been out to florence and gold canyon with very little success TIA

That's because I killed alot of them........no really, I bought a brand new Jeep a year ago just for hunting. I have already blown through the 36,000 mile factory warranty........on hunting trips in the area you seek answers for.

Wow that's impressive, I've only been on 6 total coyote hunts and am nowhere near that in mileage! Thanks for replying to my thread Bushman, one day I hope to be as experienced as you are at predator hunting.

We live in a city of 5 million people. There is no coyote hunting anywhere nearby that has not been called into oblivion. Drive far or drive deep into the rough country.

If you really want some help, do as T-bone recommended. Go burn some gas and leather and learn the hard way. Find some places that you like. You don't even have to be successful hunting them.

THEN...invite someone experienced to go with YOU. You will learn quite a bit without taking from someone else.

I do not keep secrets and take people to my favorite spots often. It is more rewarding for me to help a new person be successful than to kill a coyote myself. I would offer to take you, but I do not live in southern AZ anymore. This time of year success slows down due to animals mating and weather warming up. Just be persistent and stick to the basics. One of my favorite places to hunt was south of the Coolidge Airport. Having said that, people will now think a ton of hunters will go there so nobody will.
tt2.gif
Wherever you go, get out there early because when the sun gets up, the warmer temps will shut the critters down. Good luck and good hunting!

one of the things that you can do to start being more successful it to get out there and look for sign. I usually find that if you find tracks in an area, there will usually be coyotes in that area for about a mile or more.. Depending on the food source situations. I also would suggest getting a howler with a horn, you can go to the area's where you see sign or just drive the dirt roads "EARLY" stop and hit the howler, if you get a response, mark it on a map or what ever, and go a mile or two and go down the road and do it again, and come back, or go set up somewhere closer to the howls and wait for light, then start calling soft and get louder and louder.

I would also suggest that you look up what a grey fox is. Chances are you will call in a fox, and depending on the time of year, it can be a no-no. if you do call in a fox, don't be shocked when it gets really really close.

Again, good luck

Recently got out near gold canyon and was able to call in 2 dogs but couldn't get them to come in close enough to get a good shot on them. It has been a bit warm and I've seen a lot of rabbits so that's making for very boring hunts. I will be heading up north in the next couple weeks to see if I have any better luck where the weather is cooler.

Last edited:
Just about any direction you go in AZ you can call coyotes. As I travel through AZ I stop for a couple days in different places and call coyotes. I've called coyotes from Bullhead to Wickenberg, Wickenberg to Kingman, Wickenberg to Phoenix, North/South/West of Tucson, Douglas to Wilcox and Douglas to Rodeo. It seems that finding a place without coyotes would be tougher than finding some with.

Keep at it, check the little sand washes for tracks and the two tracks for scat. If there are rabbits there are usually coyotes near by. Hunting within a mile of stock tanks out on BLM has been productive for me. Don't be afraid to get down in the brush where the coyotes feel safe coming into the call.

A pretty little one from south of Tucson.

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSIt seems that finding a place without coyotes would be tougher than finding some with.

It may be hard to do, but i manage all the time to find those places.
cool.gif

I have days that I don't call things in but there are coyotes there. I can see their tracks, hear them, and even see them cross the roads.

Ive hunted in AZ and honestly, just pulled over off the road and started calling. The latest in Kingman last year. Cold calling is something I enjoy for some reason. I just sort of look for decent looking country and go for it. Have pretty good luck most times. Keep at it.
Mark

Ivan, I'll throw in my advice to a new predator caller. Back in the early eighties I was a young buck trying to learn to hunt predators after reading Rick Jamison's book, "Calling coyotes and other predators". I tried calling with no success. One day I saw an ad in the newspaper classified section advertising the Phoenix Varmint Callers next meeting. I went to the next meeting which they had a Novice hunt. An experienced hunter takes out newbies. How COOL is that!! That was 32 years ago for me and I'm still a member. For you on the east side of town there's the Arizona Predator Callers. They meet in Mesa. I don't know a whole lot about APC taking out newbies but they might be worth checking out and joining. Go out and scout while it's hot and be ready to go in the fall to call in the stupid pups that will come to your call.

Back