breaking in a new barrel

Lorne

I just got my 243 lbc upper put together the other day and I was just curious how some of you guys are breaking in black hole barrels do you do what the website says or something else any feed back would be great thanks

Barrel break in is a farce with no fact based evidence to support it.

Push a cleaning rod through the bore to knock out any crud from manufacturing. Shoot a mag full of ammo. Clean the bore with more bullets...clean when done with patches and solvents. Lube appropriately.

I clean it and shoot it. If it is shooting good I clean it after 20 or so just to see if it is coppering up any. Then I shoot it some more. If accuracy degrades then I clean it. If it sit a long time and I forgot when I last cleaned it then I may clean it again.

Originally Posted By: LorneI just got my 243 lbc upper put together the other day and I was just curious how some of you guys are breaking in black hole barrels do you do what the website says or something else any feed back would be great thanks

This always opens a can of worms so I'll throw in my .02

I think HOW you clean is more important than how often you clean. Use a bore guide, a carbon rod and brass brushes (no steel) if you use one.

I would certainly clean a new barrel before shooting to get out any residue from the manufacturing process. As for the break in procedure that's up to you. If BHW has a reccommended procedure then why not use it? All it takes is a little time and effort on your part and since you posted this it must be a concern to you.

Last edited:
I'm not big on special barrel break-in procedures, either. I swab the barrel once before shooting, to clear out any residue from manufacturing. After that, I just take it to the range and shoot it. Usually I break it up into a few different range sessions, but that's due to time constraints - not any kind of barrel break-in schedule. I usually do swab the barrel between these sessions. With an AR, I use the first session to check for reliable function and get the optics dialed in, as best I can with a standard load. That's usually 20-40 rounds. Then next couple sessions, I'll shoot test loads that I've worked up. Depending on what I'm trying to do, those sessions can go anywhere from 20-100 rounds. If I find a load I really like, I'll finish up by getting the optics dialed in with that load. If I can get that done without shooting too many rounds, I probably won't clean it again, until accuracy starts to fall off. I make it a point not to go hunting with a clean bore. I feel like my first shot consistency is a lot better, if I have 5-10 rounds worth of fouling in the bore. That's just my method - you'll have to find one that works for you. I think barrel break-in procedure is mostly personal preference. I don't think it's necessary, but I also don't think swabbing the bore a few extra times is going to do any damage, either. I say just go out and shoot the thing and have fun.

The BHW barrels come with some paraffin like substance that they use when doing the rifling. I just run a dry patch down it and start shooting. As smooth as they are I haven't seen any difference in breaking them in or just shooting them. I've done both and they all shoot. I do clean them after about the first ten rounds or so and then after a session.

I've tried that letting them go until the accuracy falls off and I learned one thing that was very important. About the time you need cutting edge gnat butt shooting accuracy is when the accuracy goes away. I had that happen in the middle of a 500 yard F-Class match that had the best 15 shots of my life going and then it went in the toilet. Never again. It didn't shoot buckshot patterns but that 0.5 MOA at 500 yards got up to an MOA and with the wind that day it sure didn't help!! A leaker 8 will kill you every time and when you have a couple of them it is not good.

The 22 Nosler that Ritch built me will be here today. I intend to just run two dry patches through it and go for the gusto.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe BHW barrels come with some paraffin like substance that they use when doing the rifling. I just run a dry patch down it and start shooting. As smooth as they are I haven't seen any difference in breaking them in or just shooting them. I've done both and they all shoot. I do clean them after about the first ten rounds or so and then after a session.

I've tried that letting them go until the accuracy falls off and I learned one thing that was very important. About the time you need cutting edge gnat butt shooting accuracy is when the accuracy goes away. I had that happen in the middle of a 500 yard F-Class match that had the best 15 shots of my life going and then it went in the toilet. Never again. It didn't shoot buckshot patterns but that 0.5 MOA at 500 yards got up to an MOA and with the wind that day it sure didn't help!! A leaker 8 will kill you every time and when you have a couple of them it is not good.

The 22 Nosler that Ritch built me will be here today. I intend to just run two dry patches through it and go for the gusto.

Greg
Well......Are you selling off your 6.8 variants yet?
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe BHW barrels come with some paraffin like substance that they use when doing the rifling. I just run a dry patch down it and start shooting. As smooth as they are I haven't seen any difference in breaking them in or just shooting them. I've done both and they all shoot. I do clean them after about the first ten rounds or so and then after a session.

Greg
lol.gif

Yep. They are a bonus if you buy thirty acres of swamp land here in Phoenix from me. Hurry they are going fast!!

I don't drain the swamp. I sell it!!

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe BHW barrels come with some paraffin like substance that they use when doing the rifling. I just run a dry patch down it and start shooting. As smooth as they are I haven't seen any difference in breaking them in or just shooting them. I've done both and they all shoot. I do clean them after about the first ten rounds or so and then after a session.

Greg
lol.gif

Yep. They are a bonus if you buy thirty acres of swamp land here in Phoenix from me. Hurry they are going fast!!

Greg
I will take 30 acres and a 6x6.8 tube for $150 shipped.......unless taxes ar high on the swamp
grin.gif

I am waiting on the range report.................

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe BHW barrels come with some paraffin like substance that they use when doing the rifling. I just run a dry patch down it and start shooting. As smooth as they are I haven't seen any difference in breaking them in or just shooting them. I've done both and they all shoot. I do clean them after about the first ten rounds or so and then after a session.

Greg
lol.gif

Greg
I will take 30 acres and a 6x6.8 tube for $150 shipped.......unless taxes ar high on the swamp
grin.gif

I am waiting on the range report.................

The barrel is FREE. The land is $39,500.
thumbup1.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Barrel break in is a farce with no fact based evidence to support it.

Push a cleaning rod through the bore to knock out any crud from manufacturing. Shoot a mag full of ammo. Clean the bore with more bullets...clean when done with patches and solvents. Lube appropriately.

I clean my barrels when the groups start opening up... depending on the caliber and load... every 300 to 500rnds...
If the USMC found out, probably disown me😜

Back