Red fox question?????

msinc

This might seem like a dumb question, but does anyone out there know if adult red foxes somehow lose that peculiar skunk like odor when they are with a litter of young??? I ask this question because in the last week there is a litter of red fox pups that have showed up first in one of the road pipes on our farm road and within a few days they moved into a hay barn. I see them just about everyday and I also see, I guess it's the mother not far. She will always run up into the woods but not go far. I have been in the pretty close proximity of them several times, but have not noticed that skunk like smell. I always smell it when I come upon one or where one was recently pretty much any other time of the year.
I have had red fox pups in the past that I raised to adults and while they were young they didn't have the scent either, but around here anyways they all have it when they are adults. Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is true and/or if this is a survival thing so predators like coyotes cant find their den as easy???

To my understanding and experience with trapping and calling the red fox, their musk odor is for marking territory and identification. The older foxes have a really strong odor and most times the younger foxes do not stink at all. When caught in a trap the older foxes really stink up the area, smells similar to a skunk but with a strong musk odor. I don't think they loose the stink but it is according to if a younger fox has moved into the area.

The one that lives with us is pretty decent unless something scares her. When she gets excited she can be smelled before you reach the barn. Pretty cool little critters to have around. They are fun to watch. She drives the beagle crazy.

Not as bad as cat urine!!!

Many yrs ago I had a paper route and went onto the back porch of one customer to collect. I should have just left cause I nearly passed out from the ammonia..

Back