22-250 - Bolt vs AR-10

In preparation for this coming predator season, I am planning to switch to the 22-250 cartridge. I have many friends that shoot the 22-250 whom are pleased with it's performance, and it nearly checks every box on the list of what I personally look for in a predator cartridge. I will also be reloading all of my own ammunition, so the ability for me to dial in the round to my specific needs is a plus as well.

I now have a question that I would like input on. Do you prefer a bolt rifle for predator hunting or an AR-platform? I have a parts list put together to build a custom AR-10 chambered in 22-250, and I also have a bolt rifle picked out. I will eventually acquire both firearms, but I deciding which to purchase first. What's your opinion?

If I go with acquiring the bolt rifle first, I would be purchasing either a Ruger American Predator in 22-250, or a Tikka T3 Stainless in 22-250. The only difference between the two is the Ruger has a twist rate of 1:10" while the Tikka is slower with a 1:14" twist. For this reason, I am leaning more towards the Ruger.

If I go with acquiring the AR-10 first, here are the parts I would be using and the rifle would be completed by this September (Barrel lead is 10 - 12 weeks).

Lower:
- Aero Precision M5 Stripper Lower
- Aero Precision M5 Lower Parts Kit
- Jard 2lb AR-10 Single Stage Trigger
- Aero Precision M5 Carbine Buffer Kit
- Magpul CTR Mil-Spec Stock

Upper:
- Aero Precision Assembled Upper
- Aero Precision Charging Handle
- Aero Precision BCG (Nickel Boron or Black Nitride)
- X-Caliber AR-10 Barrel (416R Stainless, 22-250 Rem Chamber, .22CF 1:10 or 1:12 Twist 6 Groove, 22" or 24" Length, Rifle Length Gas System, AR-10 Heavy or Bull Contour, 5/8"-24 Threaded Muzzle, Matte Finish, and Cryo Treated)
- X-Caliber Pepper Pot Muzzle Brake
- Handguard TBD

Thanks in advance for all of the input.

I would buy this tikka:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...er#Post11867879

It should run most any hunting bullets you like up into the 75-77 grain range. I run 65 sierra GKs in my 10 twist Ruger M77. But I wouldn't have sunk money into rebarreling my Ruger if this tikka special run was available at the time. I know guys like the Ruger Americans, but I feel a tikka is a definite step up if your budget allows it.

Then I would skip the AR 10 altogether. I had a 243, it shot well but heavy to carry and hard on brass. I'm sticking with cartridges I can run on the AR15 platform in the future. I've also about decided to just run bolt guns exclusively for the hunting I do, but I'm by no means an expert on coyote calling.

Just my $.02...

Looks like you have lots of time in this already and these are forever questions that many of us faced at one point.
The AR is generally heavy with the AR10 being heavier.
I have gone AR twice and always come back to a lightweight bolt.
Things I like about the AR- Semi auto, accuracy, and options.
Less appealing, heavy, awkward to carry, loud to load and shoot.
I have been partial to Tikka's since before they were so popular and while not as nice as my Sako's or my other more expensive rifles, they perform.
Here are links to some other posts about my newest Tikka and it performing in the field.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...557#Post3013557

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...5198&page=3

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...5852&page=1

I know this wasn't either of your bolt gun options - and I generally don't like it when people do this - but I'd pick a Savage 10 Predator Max 1 in .22-250. You'd get a 24" barrel for speed, plus a bit faster twist (1:12) for some of the heavier bullets (53 and 60 gr. V-Max, for example); you can also order other twist rates in this model through their Custom Shop. Changing Savage barrels/chambering later would be a snap,too, if so desired.
Good luck with your project!

Anton: While that is a nice looking Tikka, I don't think that I want that slow of a twist rate for a 22-250. A 22-250 to me is a varmint rifle that generally shoots lighter bullets at high velocities. While that rifle will be good for lots of people, I don't think it is for me.

Tripod3: I really like your Tikka. I have looked at many of them chambered in 22-250 and I love the stainless model. I personally have an old T3 Lite Stainless in 300 WSM that I use for my big game rifle, and I absolutely love how smooth the actions are on the rifles. Is your rifle the 1:14" twist? If so, what grain bullets do you find to work best? Quite a few of my hunting spots are out to 500 yards, so that would be the maximum distance I would be shooting with a 22-250.

As for the AR, my plan is to get BOTH a bolt rifle and build the AR. It was just a question of which to get first. I have hunted with a bolt rifle for years and while they are proven to be accurate and reliable, I have started to hunt some areas that a follow up shot with a bolt rifle would be near impossible. I understand that they are ungodly heavy compared to most bolt guns in the same caliber, but I always shoot off of a tripod or bipod when given the opportunity. I hunted with a 13 lb. rifle for a couple years and I know how heavy they can be to pack around.

Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterWhat magazine will you use for the AR10? It may not feed from 308 mags.
MB

I believe that the 22-250 is built off of the same size as a .308 casing (don't quote me on that), so it should use the same LR-308 Magazines. I have a friend that build an AR-10 in .243, and his uses the standard LR-308 magazines.

They make reforming dies where one could recycle .243 or .308 brass into 22-250 brass, thus my reasoning that it should all run through a normal LR-308 magazine.

Last edited:
I'd suggest two things. Pick up a 24" bull barreled AR10. It's heavy and for most more than they like to lug around. Second the 22-250 is not directly based off .308 brass. Body taper is different. Your buddy's .243 is just necked down .308same body taper.
I'd get the bolt gun and build something else on an AR15 light weight platform.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706I'd suggest two things. Pick up a 24" bull barreled AR10. It's heavy and for most more than they like to lug around. Second the 22-250 is not directly based off .308 brass. Body taper is different. Your buddy's .243 is just necked down .308same body taper.
I'd get the bolt gun and build something else on an AR15 light weight platform.

My apologies for the brass size, as I said I knew it was close.

I have picked up that heavy of a gun since I've hunted with a 13lb Bolt-Action for the past three years so I'm used to the weight. I already have an AR-15 Platform as well that I have a .223 Wylde Upper for and am in the process of making a .204 Upper.

Quote:Tripod3: I really like your Tikka. I have looked at many of them chambered in 22-250 and I love the stainless model. I personally have an old T3 Lite Stainless in 300 WSM that I use for my big game rifle, and I absolutely love how smooth the actions are on the rifles. Is your rifle the 1:14" twist? If so, what grain bullets do you find to work best? Quite a few of my hunting spots are out to 500 yards, so that would be the maximum distance I would be shooting with a 22-250.

My rifle is a SuperLite model factory fluted barrel 1/14 twist.
5.9 lbs out of the box and nice balance.
These are only available @ Sportsmans Warehouse in black stainless fluted($695) and Cabela's in camo stainless fluted for about $200 more.

I killed those 17 coyotes this year from 123 yds to 355 yds with Remington 50 gr Accutip and have shot 12" target @ 600 yds also. About 250 ft lbs energy @600 yds with this bullet.
I also really like the Nosler 50 gr ballistic tip. 55 gr soft point for close or brushy work.

Armalite made .22-250 small run in AR-10. They had feeding problems loaded over 5 rounds in magazine.
Browning made small run of BAR in .22-250 and had some feeding issue.
Olympic made the UMAR AR .22-250 and had occasional feeding problems. They went broke recently.
The case taper has caused feeding problems and not sure if that has been solved.
There is a new model AR .22-250 in the classifieds.

Originally Posted By: nwpredatorhunterAnton: While that is a nice looking Tikka, I don't think that I want that slow of a twist rate for a 22-250. A 22-250 to me is a varmint rifle that generally shoots lighter bullets at high velocities. While that rifle will be good for lots of people, I don't think it is for me.

Judging by your reply I assume you realize that the Tikka model I provided a link for is a 1-8" twist, and you mean you don't want a fast twist 22-250??

I guess I'm confused because your original post said you're leaning Ruger over Tikka because of it's faster twist rate.

In any case good luck finding what you want.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolAny one get a price on that Tika from Whittakers ?

When I requested a quote a while back it was $630. fair price for any SS model t3 lite, great price on a special run like this. I really don't need another 22-250 though so I've resisted pre-ordering one of these so far.

But I have bought a few Tikkas from Whittakers and they are good to go.

I just read where Criterion is ramping up to make prefit barrels using a barrel nut for head spacing for the Tika's. Criterion barrels are extremely accurate.

I tend to lean towards a bolt gun in 22-250. I picked up a Tikka Varmint in 22-250. Heavy bull barrel that I chopped down to 20" to be used with my Thunderbeast Ultra 7. The gun shoots lights out with 55g Vmax and isn't as heavy as a similar gun in an AR10.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: nwpredatorhunterAnton: While that is a nice looking Tikka, I don't think that I want that slow of a twist rate for a 22-250. A 22-250 to me is a varmint rifle that generally shoots lighter bullets at high velocities. While that rifle will be good for lots of people, I don't think it is for me.

Judging by your reply I assume you realize that the Tikka model I provided a link for is a 1-8" twist, and you mean you don't want a fast twist 22-250??

I guess I'm confused because your original post said you're leaning Ruger over Tikka because of it's faster twist rate.

In any case good luck finding what you want.

I'm sorry. I meant that I don't want a 1:8 twist, as a 1:10 would be the fastest I would want with a 22-250. That is why I like the Ruger American Predator since it has a 1:10 twist.

If I wanted an ar10 in 22-250 I would jump on that one in the classifieds.

That one has a special made magazine. Like others said that round has so much taper that it reportedly doesn't feed well from regular 308 mags. I've never tried it.

Back