May 7th Coyote

DoubleUp

About 10 P.M. I went back to look out the window. There was a coyote at the corner of my yard. I had the AR 15 in 223 set up for shooting. Coyote jumped back over in the field and appeared ready to leave. I didn't make a perfect kill shot. You know how we all like DRT's,but I hit her in the lungs and she ran about 100 yds. before piling up. I wasn't as steady as usual. Sort of rushed the shot because I was afraid she would soon be where I couldn't see her, but at least I recovered her. Not a very big female, probably last year's and not bred. Here is the video.

Here is a picture.

Nice, I like seeing photon videos. I just ordered the dvr for my thermal scanner and photon, can't wait to start recording. Do you have any photon videos that aren't on bait piles? What's the longest shot you have on video with your photon?

Brad I don't have any that aren't on bait piles. My hunting buddy just got his dvr connected to his Photon 6.5 and we do have a couple of videos from his rifle. I'll post them in this thread. I keep one dvr setup for the rifle bait pile and one on my calling rifle with the Apex thermal most of the time.

This one is at 125 yds. from the shooter.

This one is at 175 yds.

No, my buddy did accidentally have the stock illuminator on, but was suing a T-20 850nm illuminator.

I made some kills in early 2016 at just slightly over 225 yds. using the 4.6 XT, but didn't get any video of those. For me that was about maximum range to see and ID although I might have been able to stretch it out to 250 yds. Most of our shots come at under 100 when calling so that isn't normally an issue for us.

Might be hard to shoot with the Photon and record it all simultaneously with the thermal scanner unless you have one person shooting and someone else scanning.

In the video of the May 7th coyote I was using the Infinity 850nm light which HTRN sells. It has a rheostat control for infinite power adjustment and is small and compact like the T-20.

I think the second video will probably load for you now if you try it again.

Last edited:
Ya it loaded the second time, I like it, great video for that range. Saw u got the nervous shakes on that one!!! It never gets old, I think thats why I hunt, lol. I'm hoping my Quantum XD38A on my helmet rig on my left eye will record while I shoot with my right, haven't tryed it yet, probably won't work, but we'll see

Actually that was my hunting partner in both those videos. He did have the shakes for sure. When I played it in ultra slow motion for him he could see how much movement he actually was having.

Let me know how the recording idea turns out.

Wow. You're doing well. I wish I had dogs around here. It's rare to see EVEN a fox here.
I saw 2 coons, a skunk and a buck and doe last night.
I'm going to shoot one of the coons tonight, but never I've seen a coyote. You live in a good spot.
CH

Back