Is this typical of a Savage Model 12

Originally Posted By: 204DudeI personally know of 5 different Savages that often fail to extract a spent brass casing.

All mine eject just fine, too. From your picture, looks like yours is extracting fine, just not ejecting. Remove your bolt and hook a fired case it under the extractor, then straighten up (as it would come out of the chamber, thus compressing your ejector spring), holding it straight by the neck, then slip your finger off the neck and the ejector should kick the case several feet. I'd bet yours does not do this. Either broken, missing or weak ejector spring or ejector binding in the bolt head would be my guess.

Regards,
hm

Hmmmm.....those voices in that video sound familiar. I'm trying to wonder where I heard them before....
rolleyes.gif

I have owned 16 Savage rigs and its happened on only 1 of them due to a worn out ejector spring after eons of shooting.

Seems like the ejector or extractor spring is a little weak. Not worth sending back to Savage to fix. Just go online to Midway or such and get a new spring. Might check the extractor and see if there is a chip or something under it.

My Savage 12 223 did it frequently when new 10 years ago. It was a common problem. The extractor looses grip before the case even clears the chamber. There was discussion about a bad lot of parts, which Savage replaced for free. The bad part was bronze colored. Here is mine with the black replacement that mostly resolved this problem:

There was also discussion about some lots of undersized case heads or rims that failed to eject. Does your rifle fail with all brass or just certain brands?

My Savage still does it on occasion (still using the same old brass) if I eject slowly but it works fine otherwise.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: 204DudeI personally know of 5 different Savages that often fail to extract a spent brass casing.

All mine eject just fine, too. From your picture, looks like yours is extracting fine, just not ejecting. Remove your bolt and hook a fired case it under the extractor, then straighten up (as it would come out of the chamber, thus compressing your ejector spring), holding it straight by the neck, then slip your finger off the neck and the ejector should kick the case several feet. I'd bet yours does not do this. Either broken, missing or weak ejector spring or ejector binding in the bolt head would be my guess.

Regards,
hm

Thank you for pointing out the difference between eject and extract. I meant eject.
I performed your above test and the case went flying just like it should.

This is a new rifle with 100 rounds thru it.

The extractor is the new black type and not the old gold type that was too soft. Thanks Dirty Dog.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204DudeOriginally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: 204DudeI personally know of 5 different Savages that often fail to extract a spent brass casing.

Regards,
hm

Thank you for pointing out the difference between eject and extract. I meant eject.
I performed your above test and the case went flying just like it should.

This is a new rifle with 100 rounds thru it.

The extractor is the new black type and not the old gold type that was too soft. Thanks Dirty Dog.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I had not noticed that the "picture" was a video before posting.
blushing.gif
Since your ejector is working well, about the only thing left is that the extractor is releasing case before case neck clears action for some reason. Be sure the extractor slides freely in its slot and there is nothing under it to prevent a secure grasp on case rim. If nothing there, may be defective extractor.

Others seem to indicate this may be the case, so if nothing obvious, I'd give Savage a call.

Regards,
hm

Yes, it's the extractor that drops the case before it's clear of the chamber. Some have solved the issue by replacing the ball bearing under the extractor with a slightly larger one from SharpShooterSupply (?). I just never got around to it.

I suspect there's a tolerance problem with the extractor assembly that strikes often enough for a 3rd party to offer replacement parts. Swapping free parts from Savage might solve it too.

I had the same problem with a 260 I put together. A larger ball under the extractor cured it. I bought the replacement from Mcmaster Carr and had to get a bag of 50. I can send you a couple if you'd like to try it.

Kingzero thank you for your offer. This rifle actually belongs to a friend of mine. I will have to look at that extractor.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Well my friend called Savage and they sent a new extractor, spring and ball which solved the problem. Thank you for all the help. His rifle now functions like it should.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThere's also a guy on eBay that sells a 2-pack of oversize balls for $2.50 shipped.

Already got em.

Back