Great Night last night!!!

whitetail436

Called a new piece of land last night. I had never been to this property to scout but asked the land owner where she normally heard coyotes when she heard them.

Armed with this info I headed out in the field last night and set up. I waited about 30 minutes for darkness to set in and gave a few howls.

About ten minutes after the howls a fox appeared about 80 yards away in one of the woods lines. One shot from the 223 and the familiar thwack of the suppressed shot taking him out.

I called intermittently for about 20 more minutes and decided to pack up and leave. I grabbed my gear and my fox and headed out with my scan light on while I headed out. I noticed eyes moving out into the field along another woodline. I stopped and lip squeaked the coyote to a stop. She slowly turned and headed back toward me into the field.

I put the gun on the shooting sticks and rushed the shot and missed. The coyote took off like a bolt of lightning across the field. I swung the gun through and squeezed off the next shot and flipped that yote over in its tracks. It was worth missing the easy shot to get that running shot.

Not only was I excited about my night but the land owner was also very pleased that I took out two predators on my first trip to her farm.

Thanks guys. Even though I was mad at myself for missing the easy standing still shot on the coyote it was worth it for the awesome running shot. I had full intention of dumping the mag on that coyote but didn't have to

There is nothing like a night shot on a running coyote. The excitement of hearing the wack of the bullet connecting and seeing the coyote roll is everlasting. WTG!

Last edited:
Back