First coyote

Stub2

FhxaBNh.jpg

5 months of calling and finally all the pieces of the puzzle come together. This is my first coyote.

I wasn't very prepared to take a picture with me in it. I had the camera but nothing to support it. I ended up forcing the the camera between two small trees and using the self timer.
Those of you that hunt with a partner can score better pictures as long as only one of you is in the picture.

Congratulations!! It's in your blood now!!! I think everyone remembers their first coyote. Lots of fun when it all comes together and works.

The picture of me with the coyote was kind of a after thought. After killing the coyote I took some pictures but I didn't think they were anything special. I packed my gear and went to get the coyote when I got the idea to pin the camera between trees for a self portrait.
Thats where the orange hat come into play. When I was calling I was completely covered with camo, including my hat and a face mask. When I was packing my gear to move I exchanged the camo hat and face mask for the orange hat. In Michigan hunter orange is required by law when you are traveling to hunt coyotes. You can remove the orange when you are in your stand or blind.

congratulations and way to stick with it through those 5 unsuccessful months. it can be mighty discouraging when you go for long spells with no luck, but persistence really is the key, especially in the eastern half of the country

Originally Posted By: ANF Hunterit can be mighty discouraging when you go for long spells with no luck, but persistence really is the key, especially in the eastern half of the country

Isn't that the truth.

Hopefully the second goes down a little quicker! Once you get one keeping with it through those unsuccessful hunts is a little harder.

Quig
Yep, that was the first trip into the area to hunt. My neighbor had gave me a tour of the area he deer hunted 30 years ago, but that was several miles to the south.

Lamjuggernaut
You are right about the second following real soon. I must have experienced a little case of buck fever. I guess I didn't fully cycle my pump after the shot and jammed it. The second coyote left in a hurry while I was trying to clear the jam. That would have educated the second coyote real quick.
I had turned the Fox bang feature off on my call because no matter how I set it any bump set it off. But, the fox bang might have stopped that second coyote long enough for a shot.

I ve hunted several times a week for months. Different people were saying they were only calling coyotes in about once for every 50 sets in Michigan. I haven't kept count but I must have had more than 50 sets before I was successful. The way I looked at it every empty set made me one step closer to being successful. We all have to pay our dues before we join the club.

Predator master has really helped me, I ve read and picked up ideas from you guys that made all the difference, THANKS!!!!!

Flesh Eater
For me, it is not so much about the trophy as it is about the journey to get it. During those months of being unsuccessful I was exploring new places to hunt. I purchased and experimented with new equipment. I have spent many hours reading posts on Predatormaster. I ve read GC 's tread on shotguns atleast 3 times and that is over 90 pages long.
I ve purchased several handcalls from those that post on Predatormaster and drive every dog nuts between home and town a half hour away. My faith in my ability with handcalls hasn't been strong enough that I use them much while actually hunting. But, my tones are improving, atleast to my ears, and I ll be using handcalls more in the near future.
If it takes me another 50 sets to be successful again, it is just part of the journey. Everything will be okay as long as you folks keep posting ideas on the forum.
If I had went out and got a coyote on the first few sets, I wouldn't have near the respect I have for them now. My calling hadn't looked anything like the videos I ve watched on YouTube. I ve read every book on Kindle that they offer on predator hunting, the hunts in the books weren't like my hunts at all. When I was finally successful, all the reading, videos and exploring come together.
I expect that I will be successful from time to time in the future, but I will continue to have to pay my dues. It is just part of the journey, I am really looking forward to it!

Nearly enough to cause a heart attack after that many dry stands when you get that first glimpse of one committing. I have been down that road. Congrats!

Varminter
I actually thought that I was pretty calm, until I realized that I had jammed my gun so badly. In the process of clearing the jam it hit me that my thinking was messed up some. At my age, anything that can get me excited is something to look forward too, and something to remember afterwards.

Back