Found a den

Yesterday I went out to check on some hog heads to see how nature was taking care of them and when I was riding along in my side by side I had about 6 or 8 coyote pups looking at me and didn't have enough time to take a picture because they all ran back in their burrow. I would be guessing that they were roughly 8-10 weeks old. I didn't tell the rancher about it, which the main reason I am hunting there is to get rid of the coyotes and hogs but I think I might leave the coyotes alone for about a month or so.

What would y'all do?

I know if the rancher knew he would want me to dispatch them but think I am going to act like I didn't see them. Since I have been over there hunting they haven't lost any calves in 3 months.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrSounds like you better get back over there with a camera!

I'm going set-up a trail camera over there this week.

I would leave them alone as you planned.

Take some pictures of course..... and go ahead and give them fair warning that once their fuzz goes away you're coming for em!
smile.gif

This is the part that seperates real life ADC guys and pretend ones.
If Im there to really eliminate coyotes...like for reals..destroying a den is part of it....and a lot more.

If Im there to hunt casually, and the rancher knows and accepts that, then thats a thing.

This time if year, Id be ironing out these details with the rancher before I get on the ranch.

What about baby pigs?
Mark

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLThis is the part that seperates real life ADC guys and pretend ones.
If Im there to really eliminate coyotes...like for reals..destroying a den is part of it....and a lot more.

If Im there to hunt casually, and the rancher knows and accepts that, then thats a thing.

This time if year, Id be ironing out these details with the rancher before I get on the ranch.

What about baby pigs?
Mark

Yeah, no ADC work here, not getting paid for it that's for sure. I have about 1000 acres or so that I hunt on my days off.

And your question about piglets, I would only shoot if they are the only ones around or charging at me, I always go for the bigger ones or the ones that have spotted me so the educated hogs you would say. And hogs are a totally different story to coyotes!

I determine what I pull the trigger on. Personally I don't kill pups! I enjoy hunting coyotes and don't see sport in killing pups outside a den. But I understand how ranchers may feel about them. That's a decision each person needs to make for themselves. I may not do it but would not tell you your wrong if you do. What I shoot them for and what a rancher shoots them for it two different things.

I know many ranchers that hate coyotes with a passion til June then they just seem to get a pass til hay feeding time around Nov.
This allows them to raise pups while having a low profile usually.
It works for me cause they seem to congregate when the snow is way too deep for driving off road. Even better when they are hungry for food and companionship.
These guys know animals and working with what fits their program gets me thousands of acres to hunt or fish.

Originally Posted By: viper I determine what I pull the trigger on. Personally I don't kill pups! I enjoy hunting coyotes and don't see sport in killing pups outside a den. I understand how ranchers may feel about them though. That's a decision each person needs to make for themselves. I may not do it but would not tell you your wrong if you do. What I shoot them for and what a rancher shoots them for it two different things.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. I won't shoot pups, period. I generally won't hunt coyotes either if I know they might have pups in the den.
But, a neighbor does and will kill them all. He has cattle and has lost some to coyotes so I understand his thoughts. Not saying I'm right and he is wrong.
Just saying I don't feel good about it and so I won't.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogWhy wait?

Around here I try to get the ranchers to wait till fur season, then I hammer the coyotes hard.

There's a few reasons why I would wait. Here's the list for ya:

First thing would be that they are still nursing and learning from their mother.

Second thing they have not harmed any livestock which was mentioned and noted in my first post. Which I monitor it pretty closely and stay in good contact with the rancher's hand and himself.

Third, I'd call myself a conservationist, even though they are just coyotes and there is open season. I've been involved in many years with wildlife management and volunteering my time with my DNR officers and teaching classes on fur harvesting, trapping, & etc.

Forth, coyote calling and hunting is a hobby that I love doing and I take out A LOT of friends, family, & co-workers on this hobby I care for deeply and very passionate about. I like to show new hunters.

Fifth, none of these coyotes around in my area have mange or are sickly, at least the ones that I have harvested in the past few months, so no rush, I can wait for about a month.

Sixth, I could say and lie to you about waiting for fur to prime up, which this is Texas these are no Alberta furred up yotes or like where I came from before which was in Iowa and the only time we hit coyotes hard were in the winter months due to the price of a pelt.

If you would like to know more about the reason "why" that I am not, you can go ahead and PM me but I do believe most of this explains the reason for "why". Least I hope so.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: viper I determine what I pull the trigger on. Personally I don't kill pups! I enjoy hunting coyotes and don't see sport in killing pups outside a den.
I understand how ranchers may feel about them though. That's a decision each person needs to make for themselves. I may not do it but would not tell you your wrong if you do. What I shoot them for and what a rancher shoots them for it two different things.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. I won't shoot pups, period. I generally won't hunt coyotes either if I know they might have pups in the den.
But, a neighbor does and will kill them all. He has cattle and has lost some to coyotes so I understand his thoughts. Not saying I'm right and he is wrong.
Just saying I don't feel good about it and so I won't.

Exactly! And if I was doing ADC work and getting paid, sure thing. Also, the rancher or his ranch hand could go out and scout like I do but there is really no reason to.

Unless the landowner is adamant about killing ALL his coyotes I would leave em be and have fun calling them for years to come. (If he is adamant, then he needs to hire a professional). He will always, and I mean always have coyotes on his place. Kill these and next year he will have the same amount, and most likely more, and they may be trouble makers. Some coyotes kill calves, most dont. Aint getting rid of them, I promise you that.

Wildlife dept here put out a camera by a coyote den. Parents brought in 22 dead fawns that single Spring for the pups to eat.

I had one ADC professional tell me that the numbers had to be reduced by 75% to keep the population stable from year to year.

I look at those coyote pups as being the same as the prison guards at the Concentration camps in Nazi Germany during WWII where they were murdering people by the thousands.

If the rancher wants you there hunting to reduce coyote numbers, it is your obligation to kill them. You can only hunt them so much in one place before they get too smart to kill. Remember that 60% of the coyotes you kill are this years yearlings, the adults are more often than not too smart to call in for all but the most experienced hunters/callers.

There maybe laws regulating how you deal with pups in a den, check your local regulations or call the Game Warden who will also more than likely be willing to fill you in on the depredation of deer, calf, and turkey by coyotes in your area.

Wolves and coyotes are at the very top of the food chain, and they will tip wild life numbers out of balance in a hurry, given time. In Az during the 1950's, coyotes almost completely wiped out the Antelope and Elk populations. At that time, 10-80 was a legal poison, and Arizona knocked the coyote numbers way down with the 10-80, this is an interesting study for any that are interested.

Depending on where you live, the Fur maybe not worth saving at all, but the Wild life down the food chain maybe well worth saving...something to think about. In semi-rural areas, people's pets are a natural part of the coyote food chain.

If it were me, I would tell the rancher where the den is, leave it up to him which could be a win/win. The rancher loose respect for you in that you did not kill the pups, but you will learn where he stands. Late July or early August, you can go back and likely call at least some of them in and educate the rest of them. You still need to check on the laws concerning the "Den" issue. The Den issue varies from state to state.

Last edited:
Nature has a way of dealing with itself, yotes have litter sizes depending on food sources. Nature balances itself out when we leave it alone. I would say what pups. BUT if I saw mom or dad after a fawn in my yard its game on for them. Pups no, they will get theirs when its time.

I will kill no yotes before its time.
smile.gif

Back