...We aRe...

Infidel 762

Staff member
We are nature. We are endlessly linked through our interactions with the billions of interspecies with whom we share our sun and moon. Our nature does not give to those who cannot take for themselves. Her bounty hidden within our soil and water, through out the wind and leaves. Her secrets remain hidden from the frivolous traveler and casual observer.

We are alive and very much so, existing within the weather systems of our ecosystem. I am alive and alone, somewhere in NW Oklahoma. In that place that could be anywhere, I introduce a subordinate coyote into the area. I remain still with breeze on cheek as I soak it all in. I try my next gimmick and shortly thereafter I hear commotion behind me. I glance over my shoulder, only to confirm that I am being back doored. I watched him hit my scent trail from where I walked in, it caused him to veer his course and pick up speed. I barked a few and he stopped just before hitting the tree line for a last look. One last look at the waxing gibbous;

We are ornate compositions of star-forged atoms, yet only during our existence in this mortal world. This male, along with all other living things eventually return to the earth. Our bodies sink back into nature as nutrients to her soil.

Our weather gave us another day of calm winds. I press the truck door with my body weight and set out walking with time for a couple stands before dark. Like social rules of conduct, our names have little meaning out here. I could swear aloud with no one to cast disapproving stares, instead I choose silence.

My opening salvo consisted of coyote vocals. Coyote was either bedded down and stood up where I first saw him or he was laid up close. It was only a minute or two into the stand when I saw him sitting there on the next ridge over. He was staring hard toward my direction so I started into low volume distress. One of the tell tale signs of an educated coyote is for them to turn and leave when they hear your distress. That is what he did, not run but started walking away. I guess he should have chosen to run instead of walk;

Many days chasing coyote end with only mosquitoed empty hands. Regardless, I still find release in the task of trying. None of that matters anyway so I just keep on walking, to see and perhaps learn. To see that in our society some just start walking, with no intentions of ever returning. Like drifters and gypsies, free of the stress from work or home while doing their own thing in their own time.

We are encoded with paternal instincts that persuade masses of us to conform and adapt to this rat race that has become our modern American culture. We are the bi-products of our own creations. We are not the first and we will not be the last. We are somewhere in the middle, just slipping in-between. We are within, while so many are without.

We don't always know how or why, We just know that we are... we just are...

m/Predators/HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif[/img]

Wow after clicking on this thread I was blown away by the beauty of that first pic. All I could think about was how professional it looks. Always enjoy your narrative's, then a comical feeling came over me with that first coyote. It's as though he is not enjoying your narrative. Seems to be saying "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, yeah right. In my book it takes some real genius to take your readers on such a journey so quickly. Thanks for the ride.
BTW is that the Canadian or Arkansas river?

There would be alot more coyotes if not for that last look.

There have been a few times in life that being a drifter was appealing. Must have been all those Westerns we watched while I was a kid.

Those backdoor coyotes are hard to convert on. WTG!

While you were killing those in NW OK, I was fishing over in SW OK. The weather was beautiful Sat evening for sure. As we were fishing you could hear all the coyotes cutting it up, and there were a bunch of them. Made me wish I was calling and not fishing, but that wasn't an option. They sure are thick over there around Lake Tom Steed where we were at. You can hear them every morning and every evening. Someone with an OK hunting license needs to get permission in that area and do some work. Plenty to be had there, for sure.

Another one of your all time greats Jeremy!
Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Many days chasing coyote end with only mosquitoed empty hands. - You do that? I was under the impression you always killed given your frequent poetic posts

Great post, great pictures!

Lyle, that is the cimmaron river and I wiped that grin off his face:)

Jeff, for all you know those coyotes are hard pressured. I think the same everytime I'm out in the yard and hear them.. Or anywhere for that matter. You bass fishing?

Flintrock I think about the drifter lifestyle and then I see homeless ppl eating out of trash cans. It's not like the old westerns anymore.

Bobby I come home empty handed like any one else, more than some less than others

Fishing for crappie, but it was pretty slow.

Those coyotes could be pressured, there is always that possibility.

Back