bipod=pivot vs non pivot?

ohihunter2014

I'm getting ready to order a Harris 27inch sitting bipod and wondering for varmint and occasional coyote hunting do i need the pivot or tilt model or save the $ and get the non tilt and just adjust the legs? the rifle will mostly be used for woodchuck hunting.

You will regret not going with the pivoting model with cant. Then you're trying to move the legs and it just doesn't work out most of the time. Shooting a stationary target yes, a moving target no.

S series and get a pod-lock .

Being the a big feller like you say, I'd bet the 27" is not tall enough for sitting unless you like being hunched over a lot.

I agree with MotoHunter. Better to have and not use, than to not have and need.

I put a Harris 25HBCS (I believe is the model number) on mine and love it.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeS series with notched legs and get a pod-lock .

Being the a big feller like you say, I'd bet the 27" is not tall enough for sitting unless you like being hunched over a lot.

I am a little worried about that. I have a champion i paid like $40 for and i think its only like 23inches and I'm pretty hunched over. I'm 6ft6 so i guess i could try it and if I'm too tall return it. Last year i used the Caldwell closed up for prone cause the few times i was able to get low enough with it fully extended it was very wobbly.

Ive also got a set of primos sitting sticks that seem very sturdy but never shot off them and my buddy lost them at his house when he used them for coyote hunting. Im wondering if something like that would be steady enough for long range shots? Maybe bog pod or something?

Last edited:
I like the swivel model for hunting, and I wish they offered the notched legs on the taller models.

Originally Posted By: AdamTI like the swivel model for hunting, and I wish they offered the notched legs on the taller models.

Yep

I had to go look. My short models are swivel and notched and the tall one just swivels.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeS series with notched legs and get a pod-lock .

I am a little worried about that. I have a champion i paid like $40 for and i think its only like 23inches and I'm pretty
hunched over. I'm 6ft6 so i guess i could try it and if I'm too tall return it. Last year i used the Caldwell closed up for prone cause the few times i was able to get low enough with it fully extended it was very wobbly.

Ive also got a set of primos sitting sticks that seem very sturdy but never shot off them and my buddy lost them at his house when he used them for coyote hunting. Im wondering if something like that would be steady enough for long range shots? Maybe bog pod or something?

I'm just 6' on a good day and the 27" is a little shorter than I would like. It works, but taller might be better.

Not sure if you hunt snow or not,but unless you build a "snow shoe" for them they will sink in deep snow and be worthless.

I use shooting sticks in the winter.

For chucks I use a short Harris and shoot prone until the beans and grass get to tall. Then it's either the tall Harris or shooting sticks. There are other options that are better, but like anything good it brings a price.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeS series with notched legs and get a pod-lock .

I am a little worried about that. I have a champion i paid like $40 for and i think its only like 23inches and I'm pretty
hunched over. I'm 6ft6 so i guess i could try it and if I'm too tall return it. Last year i used the Caldwell closed up for prone cause the few times i was able to get low enough with it fully extended it was very wobbly.

I'm just 6' on a good day and the 27" is a little shorter than I would like. It works, but taller might be better.

Not sure if you hunt snow or not,but unless you build a "snow shoe" for them they will sink in deep snow and be worthless.

I use shooting sticks in the winter.

For chucks I use a short Harris and shoot prone until the beans and grass get to tall. Then it's either the tall Harris or shooting sticks. There are other options that are better, but like anything good it brings a price.

cool. thanks for the info. last year i shot prone with the Caldwell but did have issues in the beans when they got higher. tried it in the snow coyote hunting and ended up standing for a couple sets to have a tree to lean on for a shot.

any recommendation on shooting sticks that will be comfy but also offer good stability for whacking woodchucks?

The bog bod sportsmans bipod is a pretty decent option for shooting sticks. I have the camo version and it's a nice alternative to bipods, it's not tall enough for standing though. I think the model number is SB-2C or something like that.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeS series with notched legs and get a pod-lock .

I am a little worried about that. I have a champion i paid like $40 for and i think its only like 23inches and I'm pretty hunched over. I'm 6ft6 so i guess i could try it and if I'm too tall return it. Last year i used the Caldwell closed up for prone cause the few times i was able to get low enough with it fully extended it was very wobbly.

I think it depends on how long of a shot you're taking and how much you can practice. I personally don't like the cant because it really doesn't help that much to track a running predator but it sure can screw up a long shot. I run a fixed bipod most of the time and back that up with my Primos sitting/standing sticks. That way I can traverse easy enough during normal stands but I can use the bipod if the situation is right. If you practice enough with your shooting sticks you can shoot some long shots.

shooting stick by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

This coyote was shot off of the Primos sitting/standing sticks at 287 yards.

20160828_091423 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I use the BogPog sportsman while sitting and its a great pivoting bipod that is well worth the money! Definitely go with a pivoting style! Good luck!

I shoot all three types.... Harris bi pod, with some tilt, Bog pod sticks (bi pod) and Bog Pod tripod. Like em all each for different reasons and certainly applications. My Bog Pods do not have the wide rest on them, in fact they have the plain old "V" type top.

I like this because I can move the unit and the gun around like I want.....

Ya need to practice with whatever you get... a good bit...

Last edited:
Back