Should of had a double

pmack

Ny season started 5/1 and scouting had been a success or so we thought but the first 2 days the birds seemed to have vanished. Took Wednesday off because of the weather but that evening another set of birds we'd been watching were in a field we had access to and I watched as they walked in to roost.

Plan was simple I was up but if a double came in I'd shoot second letting my son Ryan pull the trigger on his brand new Winchester SX3. The back edge of the field was super thick with no where to set up when the first gobble rang out, We settled on rock wall that a deer trail provided access to get us off the edge of the field. The decoy was spiked and our shooting window was limited but we were well within a 100 yards of the roosted gobblers.

Countless gobbles and 40 minutes of straining to see the gobbler just out of view was rewarded as the first tom pitched to the field within 30 yards of the decoy. As the long beard made his way towards the decoy a second tom dropped out of the trees behind us and landed between the decoy and the first gobbler. My bird was the left with Ryan taking the right bird. Just as they got into position Ryan's bird went into strut and the bird on the left circled behind it coming out to the right. Me not knowing he didn't have an unobstructed shot kept telling him to shoot. When he finally did shoot and roll his bird I dumped the second bird and watched the first bird regain it's feet and start running, a quick follow up didn't slow it down as the bird high tailed it to the brush.

Great chance at a double....new rule 1st shooter takes the bird on his side or the one that's not strutting
frown.gif

20.3lbs 1" spurs 8.75' beard

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Great picture, I've had a bunch of those, my boys are 27 and 23 we've made a lot of memories over the years.

CONGRATS to Pmack and to WestMass on fine turkeys with the boys in tow. Well done guys. Keep after them. Father and sons hunting together is as good as it gets. Wish my Dad was still around for just one more time out.

Back