.223 ammo question

Galen

Recently purchased a new AR rifle chambered in .223/5.56 and I have not been able to find anything that groups even close to the Hornady superformance 75 Grain BTHP A-max match grade bullet it flat out shoots!

My question is how effective is this stuff on coyotes and small varmint sized animals? I shot a coyote straight on, center of chest and he ran about 40-50 yards before expiring, I was freaked out that he took off like that I'm used to planting them where they stand if I take a chest shot

Any insight on this ammo and what I can expect? Was this just an odd accurance or is it something that will happen more often then not? They tell me the A-Max is not designed for hunting purposes??

Also any other recommended ammo that you think would shoot/perform well if you think this ammo is the wrong choice for predators would be appreciated, The last thing I want to be doing is wounding coyotes or having runners and having to always look for them!

Seems to spit out the heavier ammo way better
I believe I have a 1/9 twist rate
The rifle is a Daniel Defense M4V7 Pro

I have tried
55 grain V-max
53 grain superformance V-max
50 grain Fiocchi with a v-max tip

Thanks again in advance!
Id love to hear what your thoughts are on this bullet and its performance on predators!

I shoot freedom munitions 223 60 grain vmax. You can go to their site. They also have great customer service and good prices. You can buy new or get reman. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. You still have to hit them good, especially with a 223.

My main AR hunting rifle liked the superformance 75 grainers also. I was concerned about potential bullet performance so I switched over to the Hornady TAP 70 grain GMX. They shoot great and should work equally well on wolves and deer also.

I have to watch this thread. Since PA passed the law allowing semi's I'll be looking to work something up for my AR.

Maybe take a look at the 60gr SP's from Hornady. I have always found them to group well and really lays the smack down on coyotes. I have also handloaded the 62gr Hornady SP's with great success.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoMaybe take a look at the 60gr SP's from Hornady. I have always found them to group well and really lays the smack down on coyotes. I have also handloaded the 62gr Hornady SP's with great success.

Awesome thanks, I'll definitely check into those rounds and see what my gun thinks of them !

how bad does the factory vmax loads shoot what is your group size. 1 moa is good you don't need all the rounds touching to kill coyotes.

55 vmax'x can make pretty good sized holes. 53's aren't too bad. We can get both under an inch out of a 18in 1:8

The factory 55 grain v-max ammo is not shooting extremely bad but definitely nothing to brag about from my aiming point they can be as far off as 1'' in any direction, usually results in about a 2 inch group at 100 yrds and that does not impress me!

If your barrel tends to like heavier bullets, it may be in the 6.5-7.5 twist rate....Most 1/9s will handle 40gr to 64gr with no problem and start to have problems when approaching the 70+ gr weight..

The 68 is a little softer nosed than the 75. They're the same length more or less. See if you can find them in loaded ammo.

The 75 has always been a poor choice. I also tried them and 1 coyote was enough for me as well. They work plenty good on hogs though.

For some reason I was thinking I had a 1 in 9 twist rate but I cant say for sure, the way it sounds it might not be what I thought it was !

The gun has had very little ammo ran through it, Does running a good amount of ammo through break in the barrel or is that a non-issue?

Back