Take em' any way I can get em'

Infidel 762

Staff member
Age withers time into spring and it's regeneration that comes within her right season... The season when the seemingly dead awaken to dance again;

Coyote strips meat from bone and at times to the marrow. Other times, it's like he hardly chews at all;

I did not anticipate her coming in from the open pasture downwind. I glanced to my 9 o’clock and saw her running a loop to get out of my scent cone and into the cover I was calling into. The whole time I had cattle acting a fool just over the fence line in the open pasture, I thought they messed me up. After the stand the cattle where still acting all flakey, they would run towards me and then run away and then back again, alerting everything in the area something was not right. As I circled the base of the sand hill I had set up on, I peeked around a cedar and there she was just standing there watching. She had circled completely behind me in her attempt to get back home. If not for all the cattle’s commotion she would have pegged me in a heartbeat, instead she hesitated long enough for an offhand shot.

Thru her razor perceptions, I take em anyway I can get em;

Red buds of spring continue to ripen into summer's earthly hues.

As I left that field I saw my daily reflection;

I saw that where our vision can give us the true form of objects, in the absence of light they get simplified down to silhouettes. Simplified into another day that is now part of my past. Another part that creates another part of me. We all have those parts, as sure as you have yours. While our past defines our character, it is only the key… not the lock…

/Predators/HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif[/img]

As always, a great story with great pics. Looks like she may have had pups?
At least the cows were nice enough to pose for a photo opt. They sure can be aggravating when trying to call!
Great shot Jeremy!

And through this quest completed..... another fawn or calf will grow and utilize those pastures........

Well said and done sir.... well done.....

(On a more serious note, looking at that [beeep] I would say you put some control numbers in play. Good for you, likely more then one dead here....)

Last edited:
Normally hate it when the cattle come charging in and mess up a stand like that. Looks like these may have actually helped you this time, though, and they do make a great picture, Jeremy.

I bet the ticks are firing up with all that greenery. Time to get out the permetherin, guys.

Regards,
hm

She was close, maybe 75 yards or so.

It's an itchy subject to sum, shooting them this time of year while they are nursing pups. Whitetail fawns are on the ground also, I show the coyotes the same compassion they show all other creatures raising young, especially whitetails. You can manage for deer herds but not coyotes, more will always move in.

The ticks are literally coming out of the wood work. I've picked off the itty bitty ones the size of a pin head. She had ticks literally on her nipples.

Nice goin' neighbor. Which gun was that? Man it takes a lot of guts to be out there in the evenings right now..........between spores, fungi, pollen, bugs etc its just one nasty petri dish out there. I've always put mosquito bites out of there misery by lighting a match, blowing it out and searing the itch away. Have had one on my forehead though that I didn't want to do that to this week...........the itch is maddening.

Quote: I've always put mosquito bites out of there misery by lighting a match, blowing it out and searing the itch away. Have had one on my forehead though that I didn't want to do that to this week...........the itch is maddening.

We had a really wet year a number of years ago. I was sitting at a cattle guard on a levee overlooking a fair sized laguna. I wear electronic muffs which sometimes make weird feedback noises when I get too close to a fence or other metal object. Right at last light, I kept hearing a buzzing noise which I thought was feedback until I looked up.

Mosquitoes were flying about 10' overhead (fortunately they never came down). You can make out the silhouette of the closer mosquitoes which showed up as white from flash reflection.

I've found Chiggerex, available at most drug stores, to work pretty well at easing mosquito bites.

Regards,
hm

James, that is my savage 12fv... I'm gonna try the match thing, cigarette might work the same.

Clarence, those electronic ear muffs must be pretty good to pick up mosquitoes 10' overhead. Ya know of all the diseases passed by mosquitoes, HIV gets broken down and digested in the mosquitos stomach. Just seems like scientists could study how mosquitoes break down and digest the virus and use that data to create a vaccine or cure. Skeeters seem like mini hypodermic needles with wings, yet science says their is zero chance of passing HIV via the insect.

Mother Earth has her own methods of population control and our world would be a lot different place had she choose to make HIV transmitable via mosquito. If the virus ever mutates in such a manner, shareholders would get maximum rate of return on investments in companies like OFF.

It is indeed fortunate hiv is not transmitted via skeeters. Interesting that malaria is and kills untold thousands yearly. Both are viruses yet something somewhere is different. As for chiggers, skeeter bites, as well as bee,wasp stings, we made a paste out of water and meat tenderizer and applied to affected areas with great sucess. Takes the pain, swelling and irritation away quickly. Whew, burning seems like a brutal way to deal with it. Trade one pain for another. Never heard of burning it away although we always used a cig or match to cause ticks to release their grip. Burn their butt and they let go, otherwise you'll likely pull their head off leaving it embedded and cause infection.

I'd rather see a coyote than a deer any day. Sad to see pups die a slow death. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back