Alliant RL 22

I hope not I purchased my first rl22 yesterday. It noted as most accurate powder for Barnes 160 gr in my 7Saum. I picked up several boxes of them cheap at Mills fleet farm. If they shoot well I plan to use them for the gun clubs 300 yard members shoot.

Based on the latest article in American Rifleman covering the evolution of the 300 WinMag as the preferred sniper round, RL-19 and 22 were found to be highly insensitive to temp extremes. In the latest upgrade to the 300 WinMag they have switched to H-1000 mainly due to the bullet selection and the desire to get a 300 yds increase in effective range. I use a lot of RL-19 and find it to be very good in the Louisiana heat and the Colorado cold so I imagine RL-22 would work well also.

I would agree with Coyotezapper's findings, from my own experience. Good loads in the winter get pretty hot in the summer.

You should use some common sense when developing loads with all powders. For instance, if you live in an area where the temps are 30* when you work up a load, then, you should expect an adjustment when the temps got to 90*. AND vise a versa.

I have shot a lot of R#22 in a 270, 7 mag, and 300 Win mag.

I just keep an eye on the groups in general. I have had times where RL22 load acted funky for seemly no reason. But the velocity and the accuracy it gives makes it worth while. Like having a smoking hot ole-lady. Sometimes they don't act stable as an average looking babe.
smile.gif

I have used RL22 a lot in 243 win, 270 win, and 7mm mag. I have moved on to other powders for now.
My 243 & 88's I use H100v
270-Just got a new one. Going to try H4831.
7 mag, went to retumbo w/ 168's.

over the years, I have seen a very slow lot of 22, and one very, very fast lot that the company put out a recall on.

Best to buy in 5 lb containers when you can afford(find) it.

I've used RL19 for many years in my go to hunting rifle (338 WM) just under max. load w/210 gr. NP's and 200 gr. CTST. Getting just under 3000 fps. at average temps. Developed the load in the 70's and have hunted it from high 20's to well over 100* without any visible pressure problems and negligible change in POI. Have not checked range of velocities over the 70* temp span, however.

I do back off and check when I run out of one powder lot and have to replace w/new lot, but that's a good idea w/any powders IMO. I'd expect similar results w/RL22.

Regards
hm

I'm sure I've shot more Re22 than any other rifle powder. I have never had an issue with it. I use my chrono a lot and have not noticed significant differences. Of course if it's >90 degrees or

I just tested some RL22 yesterday in my new Tikka T3x in 270 win. I also tested H1000 and H4831 with some 130 SST's. RL22 came out the winner. Further testing to come.

Originally Posted By: gadogkillaRL 22 is rumored to be very temperature sensitive. Does anybody have any real world experience or is it a wives tale?
-
Reloader22 is always been my go to powder sitting under 190 grn for .300WM . The Temp. variance influencing my Elev. holdover between winter and summer here in my AO runs about .50 MOA shooting between winter and summer . I Just treat #22 like any other Powder I reload for and document my Holdovers in summer and winter Temps . That's all part of just calling your shot before you pull the trigger .
(for myself) , I always know my bigger concerns that far out way my powder operating temp. are calling the wind and Elev. I am shooting at, followed with maybe the cosign angle if needed. Then for good measure after figure that in and before I pull the trigger, I will roll some chicken bones on the ground with whispering a Voodoo chant .

RL22 is a great powder along with all of the RL powders IMO but if you are not shooting over a chronograph and I emphasize a GOOD chronograph in the different temperatures or shooting past 500 yards you are not likely to see the differences by POI only. A warm load developed at 70* will more than likely have pressure issues at 100* but a good solid load developed at 70* will probably be ok at all temperatures but will still show pressure / velocity differences if measured correctly.

I have not tried the new RL16 or RL23 but RL26 is very stable temperaturewise but still a little behind H4831SC when temperature tested in a 7SAUM in this burn range. RL26 did give about 75 more FPS though and its stability was good enough.

Last edited:
I have used 19 for yrs. I first loaded in winter. Summer time I had to back off a gr. I use it in 25 06 270 280 7mm mag. I worked up a load in RL 22 in 7mm mag and 280.

Back