Can I damage AR shooting with gas block shut off?

spotstalkshoot

I made my gas block adjustable, and can completely shut off the gas flow. If I shoot repeatedly(prairie dogs,bench targets), are there any parts that could be damaged ? It is as 17 rem Shilen barrel and matched bolt, 24 inch with rifle length gas tube. Built this back in 2005, going to try and shoot it more often.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Since I ve never tried it .....I have to ask ? What happens when you shoot ? Does it stay locked up ?

Yes it stays closed. No gas no running. Guys are building straight pull bolt guns without ports to get around some laws.

Gref

Originally Posted By: skb2706Since I ve never tried it .....I have to ask ? What happens when you shoot ? Does it stay locked up ?

Nothing happens. Basically, it functions like a bolt-action. You fire, the bolt stays closed, and you have to grab the charging handle to cycle the action by hand. I can't imagine it would be fun to do this with a standard charging handle. If I thought I was gonna need to cycle an AR by hand, I'd probably invest in a side-charger.

Most of the adjustable gas block manufacturers recommend that you start your tuning process by closing off the gas port, then opening it up until the gun cycles correctly with the load that you plan on using.

This rifle always threw the brass to the front,1-2 o'clock, so I thought I should modify the gas block for adjustment. I also have a bunch of High Plains reformed brass that I want to fire form, I can now shut off the gas and not need to catch or pickup brass.

I don't have an adjustable gas block. But I like the idea. 6.5 Grendel brass isn't something you want to leave rolling around on the range floor.

Cabelas has a brass catching bag that hooks on to pic. rail
Cheap and affordable

To tune gas block to work right and lock bolt back when mag is empty... close gas block screw all the way, turn out one full turn.
Load one round in mag, insert mag, charge and fire. If it doesn't eject or lock back... turn one turn more and repeat process till bolt locks back.

On the subject of brass...I use an e&l catcher for all my shooting. I uniform lc brass so like to treat it nice after shot. I put a fuzz velcro strip on my deflector. My brass dosent get damaged at all or lost in the rocks. The e&ll is a bit expensive but works great and will last indefinitely.

It can be a pain in the arse to open an AR with the gas block closed, but that's about the only negative consequence. Mark that down as "sticky extraction," but it's not really an over pressure issue, more appropriately, it's a lack of leverage issue for the shooter.

No damage, no issue, just poor leverage.

Like the fuzzy velcro on the brass defector, that stuff is tough and quiet, I use it on my arrow rest. One turn out from full closed gas block has the brass landing at 4 o'clock. Case mouth is not dinged up anymore.

I might say - supporting others here - no way in [beeep] I would shut off my block just to avoid losing brass while hunting. I would end up with sticky extraction, and have to rip it open and lose the brass anyway, and besides, throwing a brass catcher or deflector on the port is far, far too easy.

Back