204 Ruger or 22 Nosler?

Bowhunt

Considering a flatter shooting AR upper for a designated night time coyote rig. Looking at the 204 Ruger or the 22 Nosler. Which, of these 2 would you guys choose?

Short barrels will hobble both. Based on brass availability I would go Ruger. The Ruger is a much more known quantity.

Having both and others to push away my thoughts are that a 20 Practical will run neck and neck with the 204 in any barrel length and a top end 556 will run so close to the Nosler as to be indistinguishable down range in a shorter more portable package. Additionally the brass for the 556 and variants is so much cheaper.

Greg

If you don't reload, of those two I'd go 204. Too early to tell if there will be many factory 22 Nosler offerings. If you do then it's a tough call IMO. And there are a ton of other options if you reload. The 20P would be a great option like Greg said. Losing brass at night wouldn't be as big a deal.

For most night time ranges it probably isn't going to matter much what caliber you use so I would just stick with a 223. With the 223 it wont hurt when you lose your brass.

22 nosler winds hands down imo. My real world chronograph speeds show me factory 223 55 vmax in a 24" tube to be 3100, Factory 22 nosler ammo to be 3475 in my woa 22" 12 twist , and my 204 handloads are right at 3650 in a 22" bolt gun with a low bc. 35 berger. I am not a fan of light bullets. My 53, 55, and 60 grain loads in my 22, 24 and 26" 22 250's and Swifts are 3400 to 3550. The cci 200's are flat so I know these aren't cold loads.
My very accurate 22 Nosler handloads were only mid 3200's but primers are round and there is room for 2 more grains of powder. I just need to find a hotter accurate load.

Last edited:
I second the 22 nosler my chronograph has 55 Gr factory loads average 3505 out of a 22 inch woa 1/8 barrel with a 7.5 inch can on the end. And was able to get a 52 Gr Berger over 3500 with win 748. Everything I have shot out of this barrel will go under an inch at 100 yards

Between those two I would go 22 Nosler as well just due to the fact way more solid bullet choices versus the 20 cal.

Had a 18 inch barrel 22 Nosler and with the 73gr 3000fps is easy. I think where it shines is with the heavies but for flat shooting a 55-60gr running 3300+ will hammer but I agrre with GL longer barrel is probably when it really moves away from the .223 ..... which is why I got this.
20 inch Shilen 1/8 twist

I have a full 24" tube headed to Ritch. I might have it this week if he gets it early. I got a fresh box of brass and I'll shoot it. I'm sure it will beat the brass up just like the 18" tomato stake Stoner I've been shooting.

Greg

With my 22 nosler even With my gas turned down I still get head swipes on factory ammo pretty bad and even with mild loads some

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Husker04With my 22 nosler even With my gas turned down I still get head swipes on factory ammo pretty bad and even with mild loads some

The combination of soft brass and 6.8 head thrust on a 223 head doesn't help.

Greg

Originally Posted By: zr600Why not a 22x6.8. Or 243lbc and push the light bullets for night hunting.
Be a good choice too, and case heads will not get beat up as bad as the 22 Nosler but being able to buy, prime, chamfer and load is a plus with with the 22 Nosler. Mine has fed 100% so far unlike my 6.5x6.8. I think some of that is due to being my 1st time setting up a bushing die. The woa barrel was in stock too. 22 Nosler is an awful simple way to launch 55's around 3500 out of an AR.

Last edited:
Back