Rock chuck hunting - Ground Hog in the Rocky Mountains part 1

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieYou make some fine videos Mr Chuck Hunter! One of my favorite varmint channels on YouTube.

I want to thank you for your support. I take a lot of crap for making these videos.
There have been some people right here in P.M. that told me I should hide my videos.
I'm a hunter and I like to watch other peoples videos. So thank you for your comment.
It's nice to hear some one wants to watch my hunting videos.
CH

Originally Posted By: chuck hunterOriginally Posted By: Dirty HippieYou make some fine videos Mr Chuck Hunter! One of my favorite varmint channels on YouTube.

I want to thank you for your support. I take a lot of crap for making these videos.
There have been some people right here in P.M. that told me I should hide my videos.
I'm a hunter and I like to watch other peoples videos. So thank you for your comment.
It's nice to hear some one wants to watch my hunting videos.
CH Yes Sir, Thank You for the videos. There are those that like to talk and not do. Bet they are the ones whining about the videos. Keep Em coming. Thanks

Originally Posted By: AdamTAwesome. Good shooting. Enjoyed watching the video.

Thank you. It was fun making the video except it was cold and windy.
CH

That's some dang fine shooting and good video, thanks for sharing.
thumbup1.gif

chuck,
That's not fair right there, you posting your videos for all of us to see. I'm laughing so hard it hurts!
Seriously, that is fantastic footage. It looks like the 6.5 Creedmoor is the right round for that kind of shooting. Was that your experience?
Thanks for sharing.
Steve

Originally Posted By: slanceychuck,
That's not fair right there, you posting your videos for all of us to see. I'm laughing so hard it hurts!
Seriously, that is fantastic footage. It looks like the 6.5 Creedmoor is the right round for that kind of shooting. Was that your experience?
Thanks for sharing.
Steve

The guy shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor and I have been chuck hunting for years. We have used just about ever rifle and caliber. 10 or 12 years ago, we started using the Leupold scopes with the varmint reticle for long range shooting. That improved our hits and We own 30 or so scopes like that now.
That helps with hold over, but the wind is ALWAYS an issue.
Now Leupold is producing a scope with a CDS dial calibrated for your load, bullet and powder you choose. They ask what the load speed and elevation above sea level to get the dial calibrated and set right for your load and where you live. My shooter bought one of the new scope to test. This was his first time using it.
He also got the model with the varmint reticle, but now he wishes he had also got the model that has the windage lines as well.
Using the heavier bullet, 123 gr, it was helping him to fight the wind. But you still need windage lines in the scope to use as an aiming point left or right for the wind.
To answer your question. Yes. I thought he was doing better then we usually do by just using stadia lines in the varmint reticle scopes. He said it's like RONCO.
Just set it and forget it. But wind is always the issue as you could see, he was still hitting slightly down wind.
CH

Originally Posted By: slanceyHave you ever tried the larger bores like 7mm-08 or 308 Win?

Yes. I've owned three 7MM-08's. I like the heavy bullets to fight the wind, but I didn't like the rainbow trajectory. I started shooting the 100 gr bullets to flatten the arch and get the trajectory down for more hits. Then I bought the 257 Roberts. That seemed better to me.
I has more powder and power, good bullet selection, 70 to 120 Gr. Flatter trajectory, more explosion. But then everyone will have their favorite cartridge.
I shot my 270 Win with a 110 Gr V-max and that fought the wind well, but it wasn't very fuel friendly.
The 257 and 243 feel about right to me for long shots in the wind. I know their will be die hard fans of the 308 who have a differing view, but that is what shooting is about.
We have many choices.
CH

Originally Posted By: wickaThanks for the watch, what video set up are you using?

I think you are asking about the camera rather than the video editing software.

I'm using a Sony Handycam DCR-SX85 on a tripod. ( even though it looks shaky in the wind ) It has a 60 power optical zoom and a 10 power digital= 70 power zoom.
I made a hood to slip on the screen with a magnifying glass to block the sun so I can see the screen in strong sun light.
I think that is what you were asking.
CH

I recently got rid of a .308 Win. and a 7mm-08 for those reasons, and because recoil got to be too much. I also used to shoot the .25-06 and .257 Ackley. I've settled on .222 Rem for the shorter work, and I'm still trying to decide between a 6mm Rem. and a .257 Roberts for the heavy caliber. I think it comes down to bullet weight and the weight of the gun. You guys seemed to have good luck with the 70-90 grain bullets in .243 and .257. That's about where I'm at.

Originally Posted By: slanceyI recently got rid of a .308 Win. and a 7mm-08 for those reasons, and because recoil got to be too much. I also used to shoot the .25-06 and .257 Ackley. I've settled on .222 Rem for the shorter work, and I'm still trying to decide between a 6mm Rem. and a .257 Roberts for the heavy caliber. I think it comes down to bullet weight and the weight of the gun. You guys seemed to have good luck with the 70-90 grain bullets in .243 and .257. That's about where I'm at.

We think a lot alike. I shot a 222 Rem. back in the 1970's. Great for accuracy, but didn't fight the wind very well. Then in the mid 70's I played with a 6MM Rem.
I loved the power, but my rifle wouldn't shoot well. It was a varmint special and now I wish I had it back. It was probably a bedding issue and these days I know how to deal with that. I was too young then.
I've played with a couple of 243's that didn't group very well. The one I have now will shoot a 3/4'' group so I'm happy with that rifle. Remington 700 VLS.
Last year I was shooting the 90 Gr BT in my 257 R to help fight the wind. It shot well, but was not very explosive. This year, I'm shooting a 70 Gr bullet to be more explosive, but need to hold into the wind more. It's all fun. We get to play with a little of this and a little of that.
Getting out in the field is the most important thing. Thank God and the second amendment.
CH

Back